Changes to certain moodles

So here's a list of ideas for moodles.

Unhappiness: Currently has no effect on the player. My idea is where if the player is unhappy, the character would be negatively affected.

• After waking up from sleep, they will just lie in bed for a while, and the character would say something like, "Ugh, I don't want to get up today". They will eventually get up after a while.
  • The player would refuse to do a job like, say, building a wall, saying something like, "Ugh, it's too much work".
  • The player is more susceptible to sickness and heals slower.

Stress: Also has no effect on the player. Also has negative effects.

• The player would have trouble sleeping, and occasionally wake up during the night.
  • The player would be more susceptible to the panic moodle.
  • Would cause unhappiness.

Queasy: Has limited effects. New effects would be:

• Screen would shake and become blurry at high levels.
  • Eating and sprinting would increase queasiness if already queasy.
  • At high levels of queasiness, the player may vomit, slightly relieving queasiness, but making the player hungrier.

Hyperthermia: Has limited effects. New effects would be:

• Causing nausea.
  • Player gets tired from running faster.
  • Player may faint at high levels.

Hyperthermia can be slowed down by standing in the shade of a tree or being inside a building.

So what do you think?

Sounds nice, but I don't know if unhappiness should stop the players actions. May be instead of that, it would just take longer to do something. That would make more sense, because even if you didn't want to build that trap, you know you had too. That's how it would be IRL. 

I thought of another:

Hypothermia:  (Cold)

Causes screen to show ice particles around borders, blocking view.

Character is in danger of passing out (High chance of DEATH in cold)

Slower reaction times when hitting, running, etc.

I think being unhappy/depressed should only effect your dealings with NPCs if it does anything at all.

Being depressed:

"SUICIDE WARNING -- Depression carries a high risk of suicide. Anybody who expresses suicidal thoughts or intentions should be taken very seriously. Do not hesitate to call your local suicide hotline immediately. Call 800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) or 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) or the deaf hotline at 800-799-4889."

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-recognizing-signs-of-suicide

I think being unhappy/depressed should only effect your dealings with NPCs if it does anything at all.

Being depressed:

"SUICIDE WARNING -- Depression carries a high risk of suicide. Anybody who expresses suicidal thoughts or intentions should be taken very seriously. Do not hesitate to call your local suicide hotline immediately. Call 800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) or 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) or the deaf hotline at 800-799-4889."

That's not a very good idea, your just walking down the street, looting a building, out of sudden DEATH, cause of death: didn't stay happy enough.

Seriously though, unhappiness shouldn't cause death, only moodles that actually damage the player should.

Being depressed:

That's not a very good idea, your just walking down the street, looting a building, out of sudden DEATH, cause of death: didn't stay happy enough.

Seriously though, unhappiness shouldn't cause death, only moodles that actually damage the player should.

I was under the impression that there were always several stages of certain moodles? I'm in no way suggesting that a character should immediately cut his veins as soon as the state unhappy or being depressed pops up. If there were 4 stages of depression the fourth should only cause killing yourself. It would give you a reason to go out and scavenge for items which cheer up your mood again!

I don't see why a constant neglect of depression shouldn't end in suicide as long as several different stages of moodles indicate the intensity of the depression?

Being depressed:

I was under the impression that there were always several stages of certain moodles? I'm in no way suggesting that a character should immediately cut his veins as soon as the state unhappy or being depressed pops up. If there were 4 stages of depression the fourth should only cause killing yourself. It would give you a reason to go out and scavenge for items which cheer up your mood again!

I don't see why a constant neglect of depression shouldn't end in suicide as long as several different stages of moodles indicate the intensity of the depression?

But how would they even kill themselves, you're in control of him, only you decide that.

Being depressed:

But how would they even kill themselves, you're in control of him, only you decide that.

Yes, technically you are correct!

I would let the character die anyways under the mentioned circumstances for the sole purpose of giving you more stuff to do but that's just me ;)

Being depressed:

Yes, technically you are correct!

I would let the character die anyways under the mentioned circumstances for the sole purpose of giving you more stuff to do but that's just me ;)

Ima walking down the street,

''I just had a brilliant idea!''

proceeds to slice wrists

Serious post quote abuse! It's like inception in here! 

But seriously, taking control away from the player when it comes to this stuff is a bad idea.  I would be really surprised if suicide was ever added, being the touchy subject it is.  However, as I said above, if anything is added as a negative effect of being unhappy/depressed it should be dealings with NPCs.

e.g.: The local trader won't deal with you because you are maladjusted.

The player may commit suicide, and already can with the help of our old friend bleach, but the character may not. Only the player can make that choice. I agree that unhappiness should slow down actions and stress should dramatically reduce aiming ability.

That was what I meant, player choice is fine, but your character shouldn't automatically do it.

I would think stuff like "more chance of getting bitten/scratched" when you are depressed is a fair way to go, since you are still in control of your character, just that you have to be way more careful around zombies.

To explain it you could say that subconsciously (it took me 5 times to write it correctly) your body refuses to react as fast to a zombie trying to bite you because of depression and you not giving much shit about zombies around, so the depression also affects your state of mind and how the body behaves, compared to other moodles, and doesn't take control from you directly. The higher the moodle gets, the bigger the chance multiplier is, so that when you are super depressed around zombies your character will say "Just kill me" and when a zombie is within a biting/scratch distance, it's almost an instant injury (be it a bite or scratch), with a very small chance of avoiding it.

The boredom moodle, however, is much more to talk about, since the whole idea of it being there is to remind a player of "Hey dude, you gotta keep playing the game or go outside or something, here, your character is bored, hellooooo?". What about making EVERY action go much slower because of boredom? But then it'll defeat the whole purpose of being bored because by doing ACTIONS you are GETTING RID of boredom, so I am a little confused as to how it could work :P

one major change i would like to see relating to the boredom moodle (and depressed moodle) would be for them not to pop up while i read a skills book. reading Advanced Carpentry and getting so depressed that i need to find a way to escape reality is bullshit.

one major change i would like to see relating to the boredom moodle (and depressed moodle) would be for them not to pop up while i read a skills book. reading Advanced Carpentry and getting so depressed that i need to find a way to escape reality is bullshit.

True