Map Corruption after Crash

EmptyH

Question

Hi,

my Windows just crashed while playing Zomboid. (Bluescreen, maybe Memory related).

Now after I loaded up Zomboid again there is a small chunk of the map near my base staying black.

10wmhbk.png

Tried some small things but couldn't find something related to it here.

I stayed near the corrupt chunk for about 5 minutes to see if it might get loaded, but it didn't.

I run Build 27 with Apocalypse+ as mod.

The bug doesn't really bother me but i thought it might be helpful for the devs.

BB

16 answers to this question

Theres actually a solution, just tried it here and seems to work. Firstly back up your world just to be sure tho.

Process:

# 1, goto blindcoders online map: http://pzmap.crash-override.net

# 2, find the location of the chunks that are corrupted.

Use the "lock coordinates" button in the left menu, and click on spot of corrupted chunks.

This will result in some coordinate info like this:
53e793c14ae15d69c56981916a1540c9.png

Take the coords, divide by 10 and round them down, so this example would be 1087 and 1008.

# 3,

Go to your C:\Users\<username>\Zomboid\Sandbox\26-06-2014_02-29-18\ world save (in my case it was a sandbox, you probable have survival world)

Locate the files with numbers matching the coordinates, and delete them:

07afd94fdd3c9448e256be8fa6b02b2a.png

This should provide completly fresh chunks when you load your game that are no longer corrupted :P hope its helpfull

Regards,

Turbo.

Hi,

my Windows just crashed while playing Zomboid. (Bluescreen, maybe Memory related).

Now after I loaded up Zomboid again there is a small chunk of the map near my base staying black.

10wmhbk.png

Tried some small things but couldn't find something related to it here.

I stayed near the corrupt chunk for about 5 minutes to see if it might get loaded, but it didn't.

I run Build 27 with Apocalypse+ as mod.

The bug doesn't really bother me but i thought it might be helpful for the devs.

BB

Possibly a corruption of the file due to the crash?

Chances of being able to fix it are fairly slim. One of the devs might be able to if they spent some time tracking down where it got corrupt and how to put it back, but realistically speaking they probably don't have time for that unfortunately. You'll probably have to just play around it- sorry about that!

Nah, it's ok. They definetly have better things to do. I will just (quiet literally) play around it. Maybe I build a wall around it and make some warning signs. :)

Thanks for responding ! This can be closed now.

I walked in and out of chunk loading distance i think. I also quit the game and reloaded it, so it redid all the chunks.

The map is probably saved in the savegame file ( I think so, because my 2 savegames i played the most often and where i explored the most are much bigger than the other ones.

it usually works on multiplayer, i have never played single player tho. but given the map is stored in the save file on single player (atleast i think it is) i can see how it wouldnt update it like that.

Aye, it works in multiplayer because the chunks are streamed by the server. In singleplayer they're just streamed right out of the folder, so there's no latency or packet loss to cause something like this.

Nothing to do about it. Save is broke, I'm afraid.

The only solution, long term, is to regularly back up your saves if they're precious to you. Perhaps, one day, someone will make a mod to periodically save a copy for you.

My savegames are quiet precious to me. :)

But I feel like regulary backing up my saves would also destroy alot of the great game feeling. I think if i would start "quicksaving" like that I couldn't stop it anymore. :)