Compass

Burrito2895

Currently there is no way to show which direction is which. Maybe it could be an item that you find or just built into the map.

EDIT: I don't think I explained this throughly, it would be the direction that your character is currently facing, not a fixed position, so if you start from north, turn to the left it would show up as north west on the compass.

Edited by Burrito2895
More clarification

• 2 weeks later...

If you're trying to give directions to other players or making a turn somewhere, it can be hard to tell which direction you are moving in due to the game being isometric, north, south, east, and west are hard to tell because the screen is facing diagonally. it wouldn't take too long to code and itd just be useful for players.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Pandorea said:

This is an isometric game where camera does not move, so top-right corner is always North; bottom-left is always South... How is having a compass helps? It will always point to the corners of the screen?

you need to ask the game developers

ocr (1).jpg

I thought on the minimap, there was a button that toggles the orientation of the minimap so it isn't isometric. Doesn't this make it easier? Still a compass wouldn't go amiss. Maybe a wearable watch with a built in compass would be a cool addition.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:51 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Point stands. It doesn’t have any use or utility due to the fixed camera.

A compass could allow you to see where you are on the map by enabling your red dot if you have the world options set for it. Since the game is isometric and you can't see the sky anyway, why not just abstract that your player can use a compass to determine where they are? That would make it valuable survival gear with an actual use, but it wouldn't be super useful or OP in general because you can usually tell where you are on the map anyway. It would certainly make a difference in wilderness survival without landmarks though, exactly where it should be useful.

Edited by dannyisdude

48 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Compasses aren’t gps units.

I know, which I why I said it would be a representation of our character's knowledge of how to use a compass. It could even be locked behind a trait/profession/skill magazine in orders to represent proper wilderness survival knowledge.

It's an abstraction that would aid in authenticity. 

It would give compasses roughly their real life purpose; to assist in determining a person's location, enabling some emergent realism by incentizing players to aquire a compass before running off into the woods. It would also become valuable for people in the wilderness without landmarks to navigate by, while being generally useless in urban areas with plenty of buildings to orient yourself with. Plus, it would mean the compass that @Blair Algol already made would be more than a useless trinket to be ignored or disassembled for scrap and nothing more, as well as having it fit further in with the rest of the camping and surival gear he's added.

Additionally, like everything else map-related, it could be relegated to a world option.

Edited by dannyisdude

Turning the map into a Garmin because you find a compass is just taking it too far.

We’re fine with it being s trinket. At best, all it can reasonably be is a reminder for where north is for those new to isometric games. (Or for dead reckoning w a map that has coordinates … but you can largely do that already because your screen is a compass.)

10 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Turning the map into a Garmin because you find a compass is just taking it too far.

We’re fine with it being s trinket. At best, all it can reasonably be is a reminder for where north is for those new to isometric games. (Or for dead reckoning w a map that has coordinates … but you can largely do that already because your screen is a compass.)

I think the compass is a great addition, mostly for RP porpuses. 

Maybe you know where the north is because the isometric perspective but your character didn´t, so yes is cool for me atleast.