Modding Rules & Guidelines

RoboMat

Modding Rules & Guidelines

Modding Terms and Conditions
https://projectzomboid.com/blog/modding-policy/

The Subforums and their purpose

• Tutorials & Resources: Tutorials and Tools for modding Project Zomboid should be posted here. Please do NOT ask for help in here.

• MODS: Gameplay Mods that are in a playable state and mostly bug free, but may still have added more features in the future.
    • WIP: Unfinished mods that are being worked on and open to be tested.
    • HELP: If you seek help with modding Project Zomboid this is the right place to ask.

• ITEMS: All mods that add or alter items.
    • WIP: Unfinished mods that are being worked on and open to be tested.
    • HELP: Ask here if you need help with the scripting functionality of PZ.

• MAPPING: All mods that add new maps, or alter the existing one.
    • BUILDINGS: Finished .lots belong here.
    • WIP: Unfinished maps / lots that are being worked on.
    • HELP: Ask here if you need help with anything related to mapping.

• Mod Requests: Do you have an awesome idea waiting to be turned into a mod? This is the right place for you.

Guidelines

• Pick an useful title for your topic that describes your mod. I suggest using the mods name.
  • Add some tags that describe your mod so that it can be found via the forum-search.
  • You should enter the current version of Project Zomboid in the tags and click "use first tag as prefix". Your topic will appear like this in the list now. It also can be easier found with the forum-search function.
  • Try to describe your mod as close as possible. People won't download it, as long as they don't know what it does.
  • If you can, add some screenshots or even better a video which shows the main features of your mod.

Rules

• Only post content you created or have permission to use (with evidence).
  • Ad revenue links are ONLY allowed if you also provide a direct link to the download.
  • Don't upload mods / tools that have the purpose to damage savegames or make the game unplayable.
  • Don't upload mods that contain racist, hateful, or otherwise objectionable content. Whether the content is "objectionable" is up to the admins.
  • Bumping your own threads is only allowed to advertise a new version, or to share important information, not to constantly appear on top of the list.
  • Don't create threads devoid of content, such as "Something's coming soon"or "I'm going to do this!" Describe your mod and give us something to discuss.

Pinned! Thanks Mat!

Personally I would suggest doing the most recent version your mod is usable in as the first tag, then checking "Use first tag as prefix" when posting your topic. This should make the tag jump out, make it easily searchable, and easy to see which version your mod is for.

Personally I would suggest doing the most recent version your mod is usable in as the first tag, then checking "Use first tag as prefix" when posting your topic. This should make the tag jump out, make it easily searchable, and easy to see which version your mod is for.

Yep totally forgot about that. I updated the opening post accordingly ;)

• 2 weeks later...

where can we make mod requests?

modding help I guess (found most of those requests there), but tag it with Mod Request or [Mod Request] (also in your title) that will make it easier for us to see what is a question for help and what is an suggestion for a mod

where can we make mod requests?

Like 7Roses said, the Mod Help Section would be the best place to post them at the moment.

I'm sure though, that - once we get more mod requests - there will be a seperate section for them ;)

• 4 weeks later...

what happens if you find a mod that you really like but it is unfinished, hasn't been updated for a long time and the member that posted it originally is unreachable, or if the mod is not posted to the new forums yet?  for example the mod ZSpawn. It has been long overdue for an update/bug fix. but i cannot reach the original member that posted this mod and i really want to post it back onto the new forums with some fixes and updated that i applied to it. so would i be able to do it?

what happens if you find a mod that you really like but it is unfinished, hasn't been updated for a long time and the member that posted it originally is unreachable, or if the mod is not posted to the new forums yet?  for example the mod ZSpawn. It has been long overdue for an update/bug fix. but i cannot reach the original member that posted this mod and i really want to post it back onto the new forums with some fixes and updated that i applied to it. so would i be able to do it?

I think it'll be fine, dylan, just make sure you credit Spyder and how about include a link to the old thread, here: http://www.theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php%3Ff=28&t=13256.html

Shame the profiles are no longer available, but it doesn't seem like he included any additional means of contact.

I also should add that, if spyder638 comes back and wants to continue working on his mod, you'll have to make space ;)

But I guess that's pretty clear already :)

Can you use adfly if you also give a non-donation link? So in a respectable sense, not a "I demand a tenth of a cent" sense.

Yes. Will update the OP once I am off my phone (PITA to edit walls of text with it).

Adfly links (or similar) along with a direct link are fine. Direct links are obligatory.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Added in a new mod rule/guideline as we realised it was a grey area in the existing set-up.

Project Zomboid modders are free to receive monetary/gift donations from the players who use their releases, and appreciate the time and effort put into them. However having mods created exclusively for those who choose to donate (or separate ‘in-mod’ content and bonuses) is not allowed. Mod creators cannot sell modifications to Project Zomboid.