Thoughts on Project Zomboid

kitube

I do realize that the game isnt finished and things iam stating now might not be final and be fixed/changed in the future.

I really like the principal/idea of the game, but i have a few issues with the game:

1. The inventory, the inventory management simply put, sucks, when you choose to rip a pants for bandages in your backpack you actually rip the once you are wearing, for example. But overall how the inventory is managed needs a big overhaul.

2. When you are surrounded by zombies getting away like just starting to run is ridiculous, i dont know about you but have you ever been in a fight with brother or sisters who wanted to get away? you/they turn, twist, duck and pull to get away and its nearly impossible to hold on to them, now against zombies it shouldnt be that hard to get away since they are much much slower and weaker. Yet when zombies are within range you are utterly and totaly screwed, no way to get away once more then 2 zombies are within range.

3. Overall interaction with objects like doors and especially windows, its really hard to select a window sometimes when its behind a bed, i havent managed to use a sheet rope yet. I often have to click up to 6 or so times to get the window options.

4. When zombies are on the second floor you often cant see them, even when looking straight at them, theres some kind of issue with walls and zombies above the first floor,basically just hit in their direction until i see blood splatter, without ever being able to see the zombie.

Dont get me wrong, like i said, if the devs are aware of the issues and are planning on changing/improving them then great. if not, these are really important.

1. Fair point, devs are aware of this and plan to fix it.

2. Don't quite follow.

3. You can also press e key when in front of a door/window/ etc and is another form of interacting with the enviroment, rather than clicking with the mouse.

4. Not quite sure about this either.

Welcome to the community! :D

1. The inventory works just fine, and I like how unique it is, but I do agree about ripping bandages. It can be a pain at times.

2. You can easily get away from Zeds, lure them into a house, and sneak out the back door. Or, go through a patch of trees...

3. I agree, trying to put curtains on some windows is about impossible.

4. Never had a problem with this

I think you just need to play the game a little more. Get more experience with some of these problems...

1. Agree, the inventory will be overhauled in the future. The bandage thing is a bug, should be fixed in the next update.

2. Yeah, trying to shake a zombie is worse then DnD grappling.

3. Will be fixed in the beta, can be quite bad sometimes.

4. Hard to fix, will be fixed in the beta.

Despite the E button, there definitely are some issues with environmental interaction. In my current safehouse I can't barricade or put curtains on a couple of different windows because there are containers directly behind them, and the game can't differentiate that I'm trying to interact with the window and not the container. It's a bit frustrating, but you said it yourself, it's an unfinished game.

I think the logic you're using for your #2 isn't entirely sound though. There's a difference between you wanting to hold onto your sister in a fight while she's trying to get away and a zombie trying to hold onto its prey. Even if you're the most sadistic sociopathic person on the planet, when you're in a fight with another person part of you knows to limit the things you do so as to not hurt them too badly. For example, if you're fighting with your sister you're not going to be willing to break her arm in order to continue holding on to it to keep her there. A zombie doesn't make that differentiation. They're single minded in their drive to get what they're there for, specifically your flesh. Despite their general weakness from rot or damage from when they died, or what have you, I'd think that single mindedness and lack of behavior limitations would account for it being a real struggle to get away from one once it's grabbed hold of you.

At the same time, as slow as they are, and as easy as they are to handle on an individual basis, they have to give them some kind of edge, or the game would just be way too easy. If they didn't have the ability to grab you and hold on there wouldn't be much of a risk involved in interacting with them. At least not nearly as much as there is now, and as things already stand if a zombie is close enough to you to be grabbing on to you, much less several zombies, it's usually your fault, due to swinging a melee weapon too early or too late, not charging your attacks enough, wearing yourself out, or not being cautious enough in your scouting areas before entering them, or what have you.

As far as the #2 observation, I think I know what is being said; I have noticed that sometimes when a Zombie attacks you, as it approaches at point-blank range (damn crawlers), the game takes over for a fraction of a second as the animation plays - and the controls seem unable to comply properly even if you try; lightening fast reflexes or not. So, having multiple Zed on you does occasionally lock out any movement, even for long enough that it's 'almost' impossible to escape - and sometimes you have no choice but to get bitten. I liken it to a dear-in-headlights effect, except my first reaction is to hit them and run, not stare blankly into their flesh eating maw and grasping claws. I don't know if there is a hidden system mechanic at work here (panic reducing your reaction time?), or it's simply an animation problem, control response timing, or FPS lockup issue that needs adjusting.

1. The inventory works just fine, and I like how unique it is, but I do agree about ripping bandages. It can be a pain at times.

2. You can easily get away from Zeds, lure them into a house, and sneak out the back door. Or, go through a patch of trees...

I think you just need to play the game a little more. Get more experience with some of these problems...

Really? More seems like your the one who hasn't played the game much. 

1. Yes, the inventory works but there are multiple problems with it and it will only get worse as the game is expanded. 

2. What he means is getting into a pushfight with a zed. Almost impossible to win.

4. Hell, Mathas has problems with this, in his current series he almost got killed by four zeds at the top of the stairs.

He's talking about when they're up on you and about to attack, but yes it's otherwise quite easy. :)

1. Yes, the inventory works but there are multiple problems with it and it will only get worse as the game is expanded. 

2. What he means is getting into a pushfight with a zed. Almost impossible to win.

4. Hell, Mathas has problems with this, in his current series he almost got killed by four zeds at the top of the stairs.

Oh, on number 2 I kind of repeated what you said, didn't see it, sorry!  :oops:

Despite the E button, there definitely are some issues with environmental interaction. In my current safehouse I can't barricade or put curtains on a couple of different windows because there are containers directly behind them, and the game can't differentiate that I'm trying to interact with the window and not the container. It's a bit frustrating, but you said it yourself, it's an unfinished game.

Yeah, environmental interaction is a bit of a pain in the ass, but at least the "e" button can make some of it somewhat bearable. Hopefully the right clicking and what not on objects will become sorted soon enough.

Just because I haven't had problems with bugs does not mean I need to play the game more. And please, if you are going to insult me next time, use proper grammar.

Just because I haven't had problems with bugs does not mean I need to play the game more. And please, if you are going to insult me next time, use proper grammar.

doomblood66, on 02 Jan 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

"he inventory already had its overhaul to this one from the previous 0.2.0 builds... Please make sure you read up before posting "

I know there was a major overhaul, that inventory is like the one we have currently. Works kind of ok when it was first introduced but as the game becomes more complex it starts to fall apart.

#1- Personnally i like the inventory and the weigth system.

#2- I think we are supposed to be screw when we get hug by a couple of zombie, but ive got away from 3-4 zombie hug numerous time, hold shift and kept running in the same direction, u will break free eventually ... sometime... with a couple of scratch if your Lucky... a bite if ur arent :)

#3  If u use e to navigate it is much more simple.  press e = open window , hold e = climb trough.  shift +e(or alt+e) =  open/close curtain

#4 never ran into that problem, only thing close to it i can think of, is when you go up the stair , u cannot see what is on the 2nd story until u are there.

My thoughts:

1. Inventory management

Can, should and will be improved. Don't worry, I'm sure all bug reports and suggestions have been heard on this one!

2. Difficult to escape in close encounters

I believe you made this point because of your game style.

Give it a thought: why is it that you find yourself in close encounters in the first place?

Personally the first thing I do is look for a medium-range weapon such as a crowbar or baseball bat. Then just make sure you never confront more than a single zombie at a time and just finish them off one by one. The only times I've had problems with close encounters were when I opened bathroom doors and that's pretty obvious, since you would get the same kind of scenario in "real life". So I don't think this is really bugged.

3. Difficult world interaction

Agreed and already submitted a report about this, as have many others. Will be fixed in future versions!

4. Second floor invisible zombies

I've seen similar bugs before but never bothered to report it. Maybe you should? If this is easily repeatable, I'm sure they can improve this!

On that pushing through zombies thing- a common misunderstanding is that zombies are weak, pathetic creatures. However, in 'proper' lore (or PZ's at least) zombies are far stronger than the average human. I believe that's because they don't feel pain or stress as a human does, and therefore are able to push the body's muscles far further than an average human could. They also DO NOT react from pushes, pain or anything in between.

So you can't faze a zombie. It's not like so many other games/movies where you see zombies staggering back from a small hit to the head. That's a reaction born of pain. Ultimately, technically you can't push away or get through zombies, so this game's already lenient as it is. :)

On that pushing through zombies thing- a common misunderstanding is that zombies are weak, pathetic creatures. However, in 'proper' lore (or PZ's at least) zombies are far stronger than the average human.

Proof, quotes, or sauce is required to back up and/or prove this statement.

1. Yea, it's slow to manage.
2. This is funny and the reason I decided to comment. Has your brother or sister, or anyone you've ever had physical confrontation with, actaully come at you with true intent to kill and eat you? Zed don't give a damn if your hair rips out when it grabs it. Zed don't give a damn if mom gets mad over your torn shirt. and how about 3 or 4 or 5 at once? They may be weaker in certain ways, but their tenacity and hunger and endurance are limitless. No conscience, no social hangups, no fear of retaliation or punishment. Your body, split opon as a buffet. That is all it wants. Slightly dif from the sibling or bully or barroom brawler.
3.That's a pretty minor issue. Frustrating sometimes, but minor.
4. Haven't experienced an issue here myself.

Archived