PhantomWarlock

Even then, there is an instinctive human revulsion to cannibalism that has nothing to do with morality. A few famous minorities aside, most human beings are pretty much incapable of cannibalism. Even then, if you're hunting a live human down… why not just hunt a deer, squirrel, or rabbit? Kentucky is bristling with wildlife year round- there's no logical reasoning, anywhere, for why someone would need to resort to cannibalism in this kind of a situation.

Same reason cannibals eat humans I guess, cause they're crazy? I'm not saying it would be a common thing, hell I would imagine it as more of a random NPC encounter more than anything like a severely slim chance. Like 0.5% or something. I don't know, you see the World War Z book and some people become sympathetic towards the zombies and go a bit crazy, thinking they are one. Again that would play into more of a NPC encounter thing.

I'm with Rath on this, there's simply no good reasoning behind implementing it. As for hunting uninfected, if someone is infected or not how could you even tell? They haven't turned yet, but you can't say for certain they aren't infected. 

I think cannibalism and cannibal trait is a good idea.

Why I like zombie games and zombie themes is because human meanness is uncovered through it. A fine example of it is the "walking dead" comic series. 

Cannibalism isn't an occurrence that happens because people are mean. It happens because an individual(s) is mentally deranged or has some sort of cultural affiliation to it. (Like how Royal Mayans [Might be mistaken on the Mayan part] would devour the hearts of their human sacrifices.)

Cannibalism is an inseparable part of zombie apocalypse. Morality is an empty word in a post-apocalyptic world. Limits are exceeded, boundaries are broken. The forbidden fruit thing also plays its role.

No it isn't. Cannibalism and the zombie apocalypse don't go hand-in-hand. In most zombie media I've seen, cannibalism isn't even addressed. There's plenty of humans being eaten elsewhere. I don't see what the forbidden fruit has to do with it either. People will want to eat people because in society the way it is, they can't eat people? Not likely. Just because the world is over as you know it doesn't mean everyone will jump up and go, "YES! Now we can eat each other since there's no authority to prevent it!"

Nearly all people will refrain from eating other people. That's a fact that I'm afraid you can't just dismiss.

Besides, cannibalism immersely adds to the atmosphere of the apocalypse, if presented right (depression, as stated above), insanity (if it's added), etc

Besides, cannibalism is a great part of roleplaying a villain (hello, skyrim).

I don't think immersion means what you think it means, because that sentence makes zero sense in that context. And cannibalism is a very MINOR part of roleplay. You can just as easily PRETEND to hunt humans and eat their flesh, for all the difference it would actually make. Even in Skyrim, it serves virtually no purpose aside from a minor HP boost.

Roleplaying a cannibal isn't reason enough to work in an entire trait to tweak and balance with the rest. 

I guess the point becomes that cannibalism is taboo & given what we can gather from the rest of the commonly suggested suggestions (ie. no children, no nudity, no rape, no sex, etc.) the devs don't want to push those boundaries.

Cannibals aren't crazy.... More often than not its due to a pagan belief system that cannibalistic tribes eat people (ie. they believe that they HAVE to consume the hearts & brains of their family & friends so that their "souls" can live on with them) <= almost going back to Mad Cows disease there :P

That being said, I think it would be cool to see (either with NPC's or Survivor Stories) something like a zombie cult arise.... People start eating people because they BELIEVE that if they do, they will be spared from the horrors of the apocalypse (of course it would be futile because the zombies are neither scientific or spiritual)

Further Note:

Cannibalism was addressed in Dawn of the Dead (1978), in that zombies aren't cannibals because they are no longer human.... not really related, just ANOTHER USELESS FACT :P 

What about meeting other survivors who are cannibals? I might maybe cannibalize after a zombie thing if it gets really really super-duper bad and I had no better options.

The problem is, in a realistic survival sense there's almost always a better option. The only place where cannibalism might make a lick of sense would be if you were trapped in something like the arctic circle where there's literally no other food options around. Fact of the matter is, starvation wouldn't really be a problem in Kentucky. Malnourishment might be, but there's insects, small mammals, fish, pine needles, dandelions and all manner of other wildlife in the southern US. You might not live comfortably, you might not even always have something to eat. But human beings don't resort to cannibalism just because they're a bit peckish.

I'm going with rath here too most cannibals in north America are people with severe mental problems, and are caught quickly (after 1 or 2 victims ), leaving the free roaming population  almost completely devoid of those people, in fact where most cannibals come from they only eat humans as part of some religious rituals and even then it's only a small amount, not enough to make a meal even, it's Hollywood that has spread the idea the cannibals survive by eating human flesh. and as stated only when the is no other option do sane people eat other people and based on where we are in the game that's not really possible. as for eating Zombie flesh .... they are rotting meat  ......  are you really going to eat rotting meat?

Well, such topics grow boring because they hit the wall of perceptual callousness (is that the right word?) of some people pretty soon. Such people don't understand atmosphere and don't feel atmosphere. But arguing and denying they can do. Nothing personal here, though

The point remains cannibalism adds a lot to the atmosphere of post-apocalypse and that's why it is to be considered.

Here's some info on cannibalism in "the walking dead"

In Neo Scavenger

Some more info on cannibalism in games

Besides, cannibalism in media is not that strict of a taboo as child rape, for example

"PZ isn't a horror game"? What game are you playing? While not clearly stated thus open to interpretation, they are obviously trying to SCARE ppl with the "panic sound" & crawlers pouncing from piles of corpses.... Like I said, open to interpretation but in my mind that's clearly a Survival Horror, RPG. 

We will never see the ability to eat zombie meat in the vanilla game, not because it apparently "would" 'infect' you but because it strays too close to a subject that needs to be avoided in order to keep the origin of the zombies UNDEFINED....

There is NO way PZ is a horror game. A survival game with horror elements? Yes, but it is not a horror game.

I really don't get your point about being able to eat zombies ruining lore. Hell, no matter what thing made zombies, you will still be eating rotting meat. So death is inevitable if you eat zombies. 

TIS refer to it as a Zombie Survival RPG.... Zombie = Undefined reanimated ghoul = Horror = Horror Survival RPG = Survival Horror RPG.... Sound Familiar? :huh: .... But like I said, completely OPEN TO INTERPRETATION....

If you re-read my first post on the subject, you will realise that I SAID that eating ROTTEN meat would be a BAD idea.... Given that you are fond of "quoting" ZSG, you might have quoted the fact that they said that eating zombie flesh would kill you instantly because that doesn't conflict with common zombie lore ("common" Zombie Lore = WTF IS GOING ON!)

TIS refer to it as a Zombie Survival RPG.... Zombie = Undefined reanimated ghoul = Horror = Horror Survival RPG = Survival Horror RPG.... Sound Familiar? :huh: .... But like I said, completely OPEN TO INTERPRETATION....

If you re-read my first post on the subject, you will realise that I SAID that eating ROTTEN meat would be a BAD idea.... Given that you are fond of "quoting" ZSG, you might have quoted the fact that they said that eating zombie flesh would kill you instantly because that doesn't conflict with common zombie lore ("common" Zombie Lore = WTF IS GOING ON!)

Having zombies does not make it a horror game.  

I don't really get what you saying there and I cannot find where TZSG said eating infected meat will kill you instantly, only: "ingestion of infected flesh (provided the person has no open sores), however, results in permanent death rather then infection."

Well, such topics grow boring because they hit the wall of perceptual callousness (is that the right word?) of some people pretty soon. Such people don't understand atmosphere and don't feel atmosphere. But arguing and denying they can do. Nothing personal here, though

The point remains cannibalism adds a lot to the atmosphere of post-apocalypse and that's why it is to be considered.

Here's some info on cannibalism in "the walking dead"

In Neo Scavenger

Some more info on cannibalism in games

Besides, cannibalism in media is not that strict of a taboo as child rape, for example

PZ is trying to be realistic, not necessarily create atmosphere. 

No one is saying cannibalism shouldn't be included because of taboo. It shouldn't be included because it does not make sense for people to do it.

Well, walking dead is pretty realistic I should say, although a bit fairytale-ish at times. 

Another point is nobody can tell for sure how a human being would behave in zombie apocalypse.

My opinion is everybody would grow mean as hell and do whatever mean things they can to survive

Granted.... I have not read ZSG, but other users were saying it would it would kill you.... Seriously, your resorting to twisting my words? :huh:

If MONSTERS don't make it a horror game.... What DOES? :huh:

TIS is OBVIOUSLY avoiding issues which are taboo....

There is a difference between Sociopaths & Active Sociopathic Psychotics. Sociopaths, for the most part, go under the radar. During an event in which defying social norms will keep you alive (eg. Basing in the brains of something that resembles a human, Cannibalism, Looting, etc.) Sociopaths would thrive. For example, 99.9% (guestimated figure) of the population of the planet would be eaten by THINGS they considered to be close friends or family, while sociopaths would have no problem beating in the brains of SOMEONE they considered to be a close friend or family member.... Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume that 75% of the survivors would be sociopaths & therefore COMPLETELY CAPABLE of cannibalism!

Seriously... REALITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A WORK OF FICTION ABOUT ZOMBIES!

This has been my entire point the entire time! Zombies are a WTF moment. The Devs have decided

that THEIR game will conform to the WTF moment.... There is NOTHING left to argue! :huh:

Dude... Quit while your ahead!

Granted.... I have not read ZSG, but other users were saying it would it would kill you.... Seriously, your resorting to twisting my words? :huh:

He's not twisting your words. You stated something as a fact and you were wrong. If you haven't even read the ZSG, you probably shouldn't quote it out of context.

A horror game is typically one that induces intense fear or similar emotion within a player. A horror game is crafted to have a distinct atmosphere. Monsters and zombies do not make it a horror game. By that logic, any D&D campaign is a horror game. ANY RPG is a horror game. At the very least, a game like Castlevania would surely be considered a horror game by your standards. It isn't a horror game.

I don't believe PZ is a horror game. It has horror elements, but it's a free-roaming survival adventure game. It also has third-person shooter elements. That doesn't make it Gears of War. 

But now we're beating a dead horse that should have died in a different topic. Cannibalism isn't common, isn't viable, and I certainly don't think it's being avoided by the devs because it's "taboo." I think it's being avoided because it ultimately gives nothing to the game, and there's already a working mod for it for anyone who wants to have it anyway.

Well, walking dead is pretty realistic I should say, although a bit fairytale-ish at times. 

Another point is nobody can tell for sure how a human being would behave in zombie apocalypse.

My opinion is everybody would grow mean as hell and do whatever mean things they can to survive

xkcd_citation_needed_edit.jpg

(the entire thing)

He's not twisting your words. You stated something as a fact and you were wrong. If you haven't even read the ZSG, you probably shouldn't quote it out of context.

A horror game is typically one that induces intense fear or similar emotion within a player. A horror game is crafted to have a distinct atmosphere. Monsters and zombies do not make it a horror game. By that logic, any D&D campaign is a horror game. ANY RPG is a horror game. At the very least, a game like Castlevania would surely be considered a horror game by your standards. It isn't a horror game.

I don't believe PZ is a horror game. It has horror elements, but it's a free-roaming survival adventure game. It also has third-person shooter elements. That doesn't make it Gears of War. 

But now we're beating a dead horse that should have died in a different topic. Cannibalism isn't common, isn't viable, and I certainly don't think it's being avoided by the devs because it's "taboo." I think it's being avoided because it ultimately gives nothing to the game, and there's already a working mod for it for anyone who wants to have it anyway.

Nice job, beat me to it and said it better than I ever could.

I NEVER quoted ZSG!

Is silent hill a survival horror game? Is resident evil a horror game? Given your definition, NOTHING is a horror game!

Why is RAPE being avoided!, why are CHILDREN being avoided!, Why is SEX or NUDITY being avoided!

But I digress....

My points were, eating zombified flesh should be avoided because it draws too much attention to an INDEFINITIVE FACT about ROMERO'S CRAETION. After which Rathlord said that ZSG (being the one & only ALTERNAVITE SOURCE of INSPIRATION behind PZ) stated that eating zombie flesh would result in death.... I would like to draw attention to the fact that it didn't say "WOULD INFECT THE CONSUMER" which was the ENTIRE POINT!

"ARENA OF LOGIC" MY ASS! that would imply that you paid attention to ALL of the information in the given topic, which you CLEARLY DID NOT!

I NEVER quoted ZSG!

Is silent hill a survival horror game? Is resident evil a horror game? Given your definition, NOTHING is a horror game!

Why is RAPE being avoided!, why are CHILDREN being avoided!, Why is SEX or NUDITY being avoided!

But I digress....

My points were, eating zombified flesh should be avoided because it draws too much attention to an INDEFINITIVE FACT about ROMERO'S CRAETION. After which Rathlord said that ZSG (being the one & only ALTERNAVITE SOURCE of INSPIRATION behind PZ) stated that eating zombie flesh would result in death.... I would like to draw attention to the fact that it didn't say "WOULD INFECT THE CONSUMER" which was the ENTIRE POINT!

"ARENA OF LOGIC" MY ASS! that would imply that you paid attention to ALL of the information in the given topic, which you CLEARLY DID NOT!

WHOA WHOA! Calm down a bit there, there's no need for that.

I have no idea what you are you are trying to say, all I see is crazy rant. 

If you cannot take criticism and debate then this forum may just not be for you. No matter what I and many others will debate your ideas. Those are not personal attacks.

Looks like it's time for a mod to step in and calm everyone down.

Hey, I was trying to be civil, they just came out all angry.

Well, the question is what would be realistic in zombie apocalypse and what would be not (assuming we can't know that for sure until it actually comes)

I support excentricreation's point of view that zombie apocalypse would be merciless towards the "good guys" that would still be obeying common taboos and morality. Therefore, cannibalism would be common.

an idea to think about:

What's the difference between "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not eat humans"?

On the other hand, I agree with roker on the point that cannibalism wouldn't bring A LOT to this game. Especially because a cannibalism mod can be made fairly easily

Well, the question is what would be realistic in zombie apocalypse and what would be not (assuming we can't know that for sure until it actually comes)

I support excentricreation's point of view that zombie apocalypse would be merciless towards the "good guys" that would still be obeying common taboos and morality. Therefore, cannibalism would be common.

an idea to think about:

What's the difference between "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not eat humans"?

On the other hand, I agree with roker on the point that cannibalism wouldn't bring A LOT to this game. Especially because a cannibalism mod can be made fairly easily

Try to read World War Z, should change your mind on this.

While the "Arena of Logic" point may have been uncalled for, it was not my intension to come across as hostile.... (I deleted the HOSTILE points before I posted :P)

Being interpreted out of context will do that to a person. Like I said, if you re-read the entire topic you will realise how the point has escalated from SOMEONE being in-able to admit that they were wrong.

I never attempted to quote ZSG. I have never read it, but did quote someone else's interpretation of it & don't take kindly to SOMEONE being pedantic about the difference between "instadeath" & "certain death" because I shouldn't quote "out of context"

The argument of weather or not Cannibalism should be included in the vanilla game is largely irrelevant & like I said, NOT MY PLACE TO SAY! Regardless of my RL interpretation of what kind of people are more likely to survive, it was only there to highlight the point that there is no/will be no cannibalism in the Vanilla game because the Creators said NO! The fact that the community believes otherwise IS IRRELEVANT!

If the community had their way, the game wouldn't exist..... Survival Horror or not, the game IS NOT A SCI-FI & therefore REALISM IS IRRELIVANT!

I support human-on-human and zonk-on-human meals, but no zonk-on-zonk or human-on-zonk. Just because most people won't eat other people that doesn't mean nobody will. Existing lore prescribes against zombies eating one another and against people eating zombies.

Love and hugs and cuteness to all <3

an idea to think about:

Try to read World War Z, should change your mind on this.

To be fair I think the biggest problem is that none of us are actually psychologists. We don't know how humans would react or what they would do in this crisis, so trying to act like we do know what would happen is pretty stupid. We've seen near apocalypse type scenarios happen over in Japan and the Philippines and it's never resorted to cannibalism. Though to be fair that's a bit of a strawman since you can't really equate that and a zombie apocalypse together.

When people usually say they believe it would happen, it's usually because zombie movies/books like to bring in the idea of cannibalism as more of a shock factor than anything. Really, I don't know what would happen or whether it would be a common place thing. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, but I don't think it's really up to us whether it would actually happen or not. Since we all have pretty conflicting opinions on the truth.

I don't know. In a way I think for the most part Cannibalism would be a rather isolated case, much like it is right now.

It is perhaps worthwhile to keep in mind that no matter what any work of fiction says, humanitarian catastrophes on massive scale are ongoing daily and yet cannibalism is still relatively rarely reported, even among people who are dying of starvation and have no other option. It does happen, but in a limited fashion and in limited circumstances.