PhantomWarlock

How do you know that there aren't more cannibals in the world? You can't prove they did or didn't do it because they've gone and eaten the evidence.

We generally have to reason about the world based on the evidence we do have.
Which is exactly why I think you're the odd one out if you aren't eating any people in a zombie thing.

How do you know that there aren't more cannibals in the world? You can't prove they did or didn't do it because they've gone and eaten the evidence.

Which is exactly why I think you're the odd one out if you aren't eating any people in a zombie thing.

Can you elaborate on the logic behind this statement? I don't quite follow.

I think what he's saying is, everybody seems to be eating humans (the zombies) so if you're not eating a human, you're the odd one out and would become pressured into eating a human? Though personally I have no idea.

I'm really entertained by the idea of joining a group after long last and finding out that they only let you join because they're planning on having you for dinner later, though I freely admit it's probably not the best idea to include it if it doesn't add to the atmosphere that the devs are striving to maintain.

While the "Arena of Logic" point may have been uncalled for, it was not my intension to come across as hostile.... (I deleted the HOSTILE points before I posted :P)

Being interpreted out of context will do that to a person. Like I said, if you re-read the entire topic you will realise how the point has escalated from SOMEONE being in-able to admit that they were wrong.

I never attempted to quote ZSG. I have never read it, but did quote someone else's interpretation of it & don't take kindly to SOMEONE being pedantic about the difference between "instadeath" & "certain death" because I shouldn't quote "out of context"

The argument of weather or not Cannibalism should be included in the vanilla game is largely irrelevant & like I said, NOT MY PLACE TO SAY! Regardless of my RL interpretation of what kind of people are more likely to survive, it was only there to highlight the point that there is no/will be no cannibalism in the Vanilla game because the Creators said NO! The fact that the community believes otherwise IS IRRELEVANT!

If the community had their way, the game wouldn't exist..... Survival Horror or not, the game IS NOT A SCI-FI & therefore REALISM IS IRRELIVANT!

If you deleted your original hostile points, well, I REALLY don't want to see what your definition of hostile is.

I would never try to take anything out of context and I fail to see how I did here. Please clarify with less of the passive-aggressiveness.

Then what does this mean: "Given that you are fond of "quoting" ZSG, you might have quoted the fact that they said that eating zombie flesh would kill you instantly "

I'm being pedantic?!!?? There is a huge difference between instadeath and certain death, Instadeath is where you die instantly, certain death is where there is 100% chance of death in a certain time frame. (also, stop being passive aggressive, it helps no one.)

Uh, what, you got really ranty here, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Have you read anything the Devs have said? The game is aiming to be realistic. (but not a simulator) I really do not see how it not being sci-fi suddenly means that it can't/wont be realistic. Is Dayz sci-fi?

Your post is still ranty, just understandable.

Also, are you deleting your posts? I am having trouble finding some.

I think what he's saying is, everybody seems to be eating humans (the zombies) so if you're not eating a human, you're the odd one out and would become pressured into eating a human? Though personally I have no idea.

That was actually a really bad attempt at a joke. Sorry for that!

I NEVER quoted ZSG!

You paraphrased its contents which you never read. You're being pedantic about having not "quoted" the ZSG.

Is silent hill a survival horror game? Is resident evil a horror game? Given your definition, NOTHING is a horror game!

Yes, they are. Because, if you read my post, they try to create an atmosphere and attempt to instill specific emotions in the player. The combination of a dark and brooding atmosphere combined with clunky combat and awkward controls makes the player feel more vulnerable, and that combined with the limited resources and (usually) respawning enemies is intended to make the player feel more inclined to run from threats rather than fight them all the time as they will not be certain if they can afford to spend their resources on taking out what can instead be avoided. 

Why is RAPE being avoided!, why are CHILDREN being avoided!, Why is SEX or NUDITY being avoided!

Because those things are distasteful and offensive on a completely differently level. For instance, if someone was raped in real life at some point and later on they were raped in a video game, that probably wouldn't go down so well. Not to mention, those things can warrant unwanted publicity or negative attention. Cannibalism is such a minor occurrence and is nearly universally looked down upon b y people, and isn't as "taboo" in hollywood as you seem to think it is. As many people have stated, it's used for a shock factor. Rape is also used for shock. Children are also used for shock. The difference is, people can relate to rape and terrible things happening to children. It's TOO REAL and TOO CLOSE TO HOME for some people, and they can happen to practically ANYONE. Whereas cannibal victims are usually DEAD and nobody can relate to being eaten by another human being.

But I digress....

My points were, eating zombified flesh should be avoided because it draws too much attention to an INDEFINITIVE FACT about ROMERO'S CRAETION. After which Rathlord said that ZSG (being the one & only ALTERNAVITE SOURCE of INSPIRATION behind PZ) stated that eating zombie flesh would result in death.... I would like to draw attention to the fact that it didn't say "WOULD INFECT THE CONSUMER" which was the ENTIRE POINT!

So you're angry because we missed the point you were trying to make? Well, acting like this certainly isn't helping any of your points. If anything, it probably hurts whatever integrity you had and people are more likely to dismiss your "points" because you're not only grasping at straws, but you're flat out attacking people who have a dissenting opinion. It's not constructive or helpful.

"ARENA OF LOGIC" MY ASS! that would imply that you paid attention to ALL of the information in the given topic, which you CLEARLY DID NOT!

This is an accusation I field rather often, as people feel attacked by the way I take apart posts and reply to each point with my own. I'm afraid you're wrong. If you hadn't gotten angry because you felt like I was stopping to personally assault and belittle you, you might have been able to address some of my own points and consider thoughtful responses that would contribute to the topic instead of going off on a tangent to reiterate "points" you've already made and flat out talk shit about the ones I made without even considering them.

You deleted all of the "harsh" points before posting, huh?

So that means your initial response was even more personal, more hateful, and more insulting than this one? You've convinced me that you have nothing meaningful or interesting to add to this topic. I'll be sure to disregard whatever posts you make in the future so you don't flame your way into being banned due to your inability to have a civil discussion.

Maybe instead of cannibalism being a trait, it would become an option if your character hit a starving hunger level and there was a non-zombie corpse available. As for this to be included in the game, I don't know, its for the devs to decide. Imagine coming into a house to raid it and finding a bunch of dead npcs and someone clearly eating from one. If it is to become a mechanic, it should produce some reward but hold huge consequence, like if you were found in the act by an NPC, the NPC would shout "Cannibal!" or something of the like and all NPCs within hearing range except other cannibals would become permanently hostile. Combine this with a sort of "rumor/gossip" mechanic and you're an outcast.

Iam for cannibalism as well

People just do that when they get hungry. And not just 0,0x% of people

The drive to live is stronger than you think

What about meeting other survivors who are cannibals? I might maybe cannibalize after a zombie thing if it gets really really super-duper bad and I had no better options.

The problem is, in a realistic survival sense there's almost always a better option. The only place where cannibalism might make a lick of sense would be if you were trapped in something like the arctic circle where there's literally no other food options around. Fact of the matter is, starvation wouldn't really be a problem in Kentucky. Malnourishment might be, but there's insects, small mammals, fish, pine needles, dandelions and all manner of other wildlife in the southern US. You might not live comfortably, you might not even always have something to eat. But human beings don't resort to cannibalism just because they're a bit peckish.

I take it you haven't read the whole thread, so I'll just reiterate Rath's post that refuted the arguments identical to yours.

but the OPTION should be there :)

There is already a mod in place for that; please try to read through threads before posting in them. And I don't think "the option should be there" is a valid excuse to implement features into a video game, ever. You have that option, the option is in the form of a mod. That really should be satisfactory enough, but this thread is about implementing cannibalism into the vanilla game. The Devs already said no.

Between that and the existing mod that people are free to use, there's no reason to bother. At all. 

There is already a mod in place for that; please try to read through threads before posting in them. And I don't think "the option should be there" is a valid excuse to implement features into a video game, ever. You have that option, the option is in the form of a mod. That really should be satisfactory enough, but this thread is about implementing cannibalism into the vanilla game. The Devs already said no.

Between that and the existing mod that people are free to use, there's no reason to bother. At all. 

There actually isn't a mod out there, since it was made for the old version and hasn't been updated for the new one. Would be rather pointless right now since there are no other characters to eat.

Gonna take a moment and just shut this down all together.

Seriously... REALITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A WORK OF FICTION ABOUT ZOMBIES!

This has been my entire point the entire time! Zombies are a WTF moment. The Devs have decided

that THEIR game will conform to the WTF moment.... There is NOTHING left to argue! :huh:

Dude... Quit while your ahead!

You should probably think twice before telling people what the "the devs have decided." In fact, this directly flies in the face of what the developers have said. They have said specifically that aside from the zombies, PZ strives to be as realistic as possible. That means aside from reasonable suspension of disbelief about the zombies, realism is a goal to strive for.

The point remains cannibalism adds a lot to the atmosphere of post-apocalypse and that's why it is to be considered.

This is categorically catastrophically a failure in logic, and you should stop bringing it up for two reasons:

A) That is purely your opinion and as such is a worthless point, and

B) Things cannot and are not added just for atmosphere value. If they were, you could argue for dinosaurs with laserbeams, creepers, vampires, and basically anything else you want.

There's a lot of room for opinion and debate on this topic, but your points are inherently incorrect- not as a matter of opinion, but as a matter of fact.

Again taken out of context, I am unable to quote atm due to browser/forum issues but that point followed the sub conversion of eating zombie flesh.... notice that I said "Zombies are a WTF moment" not "A Post-Apocalyptic Scenario is a WTF moment"

If your SERIOUSLY telling me that the zombie lore has to be realistic, you might as well be having a serious "discussion" about who would win in a fight between Batman & Spiderman

^^ See the space, signifying separate points

:P = Being Cheeky

Give an Inch & they take a damn mile :huh:

Again taken out of context, I am unable to quote atm due to browser/forum issues but that point followed the sub conversion of eating zombie flesh.... notice that I said "Zombies are a WTF moment" not "A Post-Apocalyptic Scenario is a WTF moment"

If your SERIOUSLY telling me that the zombie lore has to be realistic, you might as well be having a serious "discussion" about who would win in a fight between Batman & Spiderman

NO ONE IS TAKING YOU OUT OF CONTEXT!

You are either phrasing your words in such a way that their meanings are extremely unclear to readers and instead of clarifying when someone rebuts them, you scream and shout about how you are getting taken out of context. OR, when your points are rebutted, you realize you are wrong so you shout about getting taken out context, trying to hide the fact that you are wrong. 

Either way, your behavior is not mature and I am very nearly done with trying to debate you. 

Again, I have no idea what you trying to say. At most I can see SOMEONE is being pedantic about...???

Now you've gone and pissed me off. I will not even try to debate this. Your stupidity and ignorance is astounding. Pleas either read the material I have mentioned, educate yourself using the internet or think about what you write before you type it. 

^^ See the space, signifying separate points

:P = Being Cheeky

Give an Inch & they take a damn mile :huh:

I… what??? Quoting an entire point is now taking something out of context? I think you maybe need to work on your reading comprehension. I CLEARLY stated that zombie lore is the exception to the reality, but everything else in the game the devs want to be realistic. This directly refutes your idea that one does not have to adhere to realism when adding to PZ. I'm not taking you out of context, that's *your exact point that you clearly made in that post*.

I think maybe also you should understand what "taking out of context" means; it seems clear you don't. Taking something out of context doesn't just mean shortening a quote- there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Taking something out of context is shortening a quote and intentionally leaving out something that inherently changes the meaning of your opinion. I did not now, nor have I at all in this thread done that.

I don't believe the option should be there. While granted I'm an advocate of when a game says I can do anything, I should damn well be able to do ANYTHING. Devs obviously never deliver on that aspect since they can't think of or will not do what I want. However, there is another aspect that players rarely actually consider past that. In a game about choice, players believe they should be able to do anything, but devs rarely deliver. Players make the assumption it's because they can think of more than what the developers can develop and provide and have found a way to stump the developers. That's rarely (if ever the case). The reason developers usually not code in this option is usually because it acts as a distraction.

The way Cannibalism is being talked about in this thread (not by everyone may I stress) it's being seen as a distractor. An option. Not something that can provide meaningful addition onto the game but rather just something that's there, a bell, a whistle. A shiny new feature. This is an absolutely horrible way to look at a feature of a game, and while time is being spent on this "option" something that people would just like so that it's there, that they may never use. Time is taken away from features everybody wants. NPC's, multiplayer etc.

Now of course the above point is only talking about a specific group of users who haven't thought of cannibalism as anything but a shock value. An option that is there, with not real thought about how it integrates into the game. To the others I will say, you are bringing up some fine points, the problem is that when you put an option like Cannibalism in the game (and freely) you are allowing the abuse of said feature. It gives the potential for every person to become a Cannibal if they so desire, when in actuality as Rathlord has re-iterated people would probably very rarely ever become Cannibals. Even in apocalypse books and zombie apocalypse books/films etc Cannibalism is a very down played thing. It's a very rare thing, even in this world because of just how taboo it is. Therefore I feel if Cannibalism was in the game it should be a very slim chance of meeting an NPC that is actually a Cannibal.

You also have to ask the question, which to be perfectly fair none of us can answer, except the developers is, what sort of game are they going for? What atmosphere are they trying to create? Could the ability to become a Cannibal cause a distraction that would actually hurt the atmosphere or feeling of the game? I don't know. I could be completely and utterly wrong, but it's how I feel.

When it comes right down to it, I just think when I hear people talking about it as "just an option" I hear "just a distraction" something that doesn't actually add anything to the game, and anything it does add to the game is a cheap shock. If implemented correctly that could certainly change, but the way Cannibalism is being described right now, it's how I feel it's looking like right now.

Apologies for the scattergun post.

I'm sure most of you have at least played a Fable game or two; they were very overhyped and promised the world. Among gamers that aren't children, I think most people would agree that Fable is an extremely franchise. The storylines are always short, there's virtually no reason to fear death since you just get back up with some scar somewhere on your clothed body, and you lose an insignificant amount of experience points (if you even have any unspent).

But there's all sorts of crap you can do in Fable. You can be a good or bad guy, dance with people, fart in their faces, murder townsfolk, marry any generic NPC you want, pop out children, have orgies... The way Peter Molyneux describes it all together sounds incredibly deep and interesting, but when it comes to playing the game... There's no reason whatsoever for any of it. It might be amusing to indulge in once or twice, but ultimately there's no purpose to it and it adds NOTHING to the game. It's just there. And none of that fluff makes the games any more memorable or fun to play, it's just fluff. Petty distractions to make the game seem longer than it is. 

Adding choices "because the choice should be there" is not valid reasoning or logic.

I made a previous post in this topic but just thought of something new. Humans are now a huge rarity that meeting 1 or 2 survivor a huge deal. do you really want to make something that hard to find your food source? in Fallout that was quoted for having that people were still numerous, In PZ they are rare as hell, becoming a Cannibal makes little sense because it's too hard to find people to eat.  

I made a previous post in this topic but just thought of something new. Humans are now a huge rarity that meeting 1 or 2 survivor a huge deal. do you really want to make something that hard to find your food source? in Fallout that was quoted for having that people were still numerous, In PZ they are rare as hell, becoming a Cannibal makes little sense because it's too hard to find people to eat.  

Nah, there would be a bit more then that, especially during the start.