PhantomWarlock

One, nasty, evil word: Cannibalism. As in eating people as a last resort(or first resort?). If you ate a human, you're character would gain A LOT of unhappiness and stress, while eating a zombie did the same, but could also infect you. Maybe a perk could be added called "Cannibal", to where the player would not get stressed or unhappy. What do you all think?

This is how I would see it played.

Cannibal - Character can harvest "Strange Meat" from corpse that is fresh and was not a Zed.

How it works.  A character could walk over to a corpse (like they do now) and see what it had on hand.  Ex. Blouse, Pants, Shoes.  If you possessed the cannibal perk, a corpse would generate a second "body" on the icon to the right (make it look like a side of beef).  It would then contain 0-3 "Strange Meats" (no meat would just mean it was not harvestable, fouled, diseased, etc).  If the character possessed a Kitchen Knife in their main inventory they could harvest the meat and then put it into the inventory (just like picking a blouse off a corpse and putting it in your inventory).  I would have this all one step, it just takes some time.  While a player is doing this, have some blood pool on the floor under the corpse.  Any NPC who witnesses this action that is not a cannibal, immediately becomes hostile.

Strange Meat has the same charastics as a Steak to a cannibal.  To a non-canibal, I would just have it -20 unhappiness.  Upon harvesting it would be a Fresh Strange Meat and decay at the standard rate.

If you ate a human, you're character would gain A LOT of unhappiness and stress, while eating a zombie did the same, but could also infect you. 

Change "could" to "would", there is no way you wouldn't get infected from eating zombie meat.

I said it before & I'll say it again. The Dev's HAVEN'T specified that it is a ZOMBIE VIRUS. The whole time you've been bashing in zombie heads & wearing zombie clothes, not wondering why you not getting 'infected'? :huh:

Mind you I think there is a whole other list of reasons why eating the flesh of ROTTING zombies is a BAD idea but I think the most important one being.... the same one :huh: .... If you could eat zombies, ppl will start asking the question "why aren't we getting 'infected'?", just like what has happened here. The whole idea being, not to sway one way or the other so that ppl CAN'T code, categorize & become comfortable with the idea.... Just like Romero.

I understand that, given the personalities of the type of ppl who are likely to populate this forum, ppl will WANT to code & categorise it.... But I can't risk it catching on & ruining the game, sorry if I'm coming across like a prick.

EDIT:

The exception being Day of the Dead (2008) but that was only INSPIRED by Romero, not actually directed by

I said it before & I'll say it again. The Dev's HAVEN'T specified that it is a ZOMBIE VIRUS. The whole time you've been bashing in zombie heads & wearing zombie clothes, not wondering why you not getting 'infected'? 

Because it hasn't been added yet! 

PZ lore isn't just based on Romero, read World War Z or The Zombie Survival Guide.

Even if it was fungus or bacteria that started the whole thing, if you eat zombie meat, you are going to become one!

The forum is still being weird after a windows update, but check out this topic:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3386-the-lore-of-zomboid/

everything else is a bastardised version of Romeros idea, don't get me wrong.... I'll watch/read them, but Romero was the original

this is still the coding & categorising debate.... notice how you didn't say Black Magic or Wrath of God. I'm not saying that these SHOULD be the explanation, in fact I'm saying the exact opposite. Once something is coded & categorised it ceases to be alien, removing its mystery & with it one of the dynamics of the horror genera.

Now watch him change his tone now that he see's Rathlord on the other side of the discussion :P

"When there's no more room in hell

The dead will walk the Earth

And the living wont have a prayer

Cause its the dawn of the dead"

The forum is still being weird after a windows update, but check out this topic:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3386-the-lore-of-zomboid/

everything else is a bastardised version of Romeros idea, don't get me wrong.... I'll watch/read them, but Romero was the original

this is still the coding & categorising debate.... notice how you didn't say Black Magic or Wrath of God. I'm not saying that these SHOULD be the explanation, in fact I'm saying the exact opposite. Once something is coded & categorised it ceases to be alien, removing its mystery & with it one of the dynamics of the horror genera.

Now watch him change his tone now that he see's Rathlord on the other side of the discussion :P

"When there's no more room in hell

The dead will walk the Earth

And the living wont have a prayer

Cause its the dawn of the dead"

I don't really understand your post, can you clarify it a bit?

This: "Once something is coded & categorised it ceases to be alien, removing its mystery & with it one of the dynamics of the horror genera." is completely wrong. PZ isn't a horror game, zombies do not need to be "mysterious", that's been done a million times. Its an outdated concept from when zombies rose out of graves and ate your brains. Modern medicine could easily diagnose what caused the outbreak (unless its something completely ridiculous) Zombies, at least with new players, WILL be mysterious for a little while. The Devs have said that lore will be reveled from in game journals written by past survivors, or in the mumbled static of a radio.

(would be longer but getting ranty and lost my train of thought.)

lol.... Zombies NEVER rose from the grave to eat brains except in the Return of the Living Dead series & those that ripped off that franchise.

Other than the link, that last post was in response to what you said about "fungus or bacteria".... It seems like you cant wrap your head around UNDEFINED

"PZ isn't a horror game"? What game are you playing? While not clearly stated thus open to interpretation, they are obviously trying to SCARE ppl with the "panic sound" & crawlers pouncing from piles of corpses.... Like I said, open to interpretation but in my mind that's clearly a Survival Horror, RPG.

Do you have any basis for this CLAIM that the devs are going to are going to be revealing lore in the survivor stories & radio/tv broadcasts? Everything I read & every discussion I was a part of was saying that they would ONLY be there for immersion & gameplay tips (recipies, etc.) Seriously, unless something changed in the month & a half I disappeared for.... no, wait, that's irrelevant because I just posted a link to a topic from just over 2 weeks ago stating that the origin of the zombies is UNDEFINED & will remain UNDEFINED.... We will never see the ability to eat zombie meat in the vanilla game, not because it apparently "would" 'infect' you but because it strays too close to a subject that needs to be avoided in order to keep the origin of the zombies UNDEFINED....

"Modern medicine could easily diagnose what caused the outbreak"?.... This sounds like your trying to turn this into a, "if the zombie apocalypse was real" debate :huh: .... meh, I'll bite :P YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS! Modern medicine cant even explain what causes mad cows disease.... they can see what's happening but can only speculate as to what caused it & the nature of the cells responsible for the degeneration of the brains & spinal cords. That happened, what.... 25-30 years ago..... & they still don't know for certain :huh: Modern medicine is great for diagnosing conditions we already know about & I'm sure someone would come up with a baseless theory pretty quick but, even IF it was scientific in nature, it COULD take upwards & over of 2 decades for ppl to figure out what is going on with any certainty

The Devs have said that lore will be reveled from in game journals written by past survivors, or in the mumbled static of a radio.

Nope, the devs have specifically said the origin and nature of the zombie phenomenon will remain unknown. Whether modern science could or could not find it out is irrelevant, as the people writing the game get to decide how the game's world operates.

The Devs have said that lore will be reveled from in game journals written by past survivors, or in the mumbled static of a radio.

Nope, the devs have specifically said the origin and nature of the zombie phenomenon will remain unknown. Whether modern science could or could not find it out is irrelevant, as the people writing the game get to decide how the game's world operates.

Can confirm this as well.

I believe the reasoning stems from the fact even if they could determine the origin of the disease how would the player ever find out? I doubt they would have some big lab you could break into a figure out the origin of the virus, and even if you could, would your player be able to understand anything in that lab.

Regarding Cannibalism didn't RJ or someone make a mod of it?

If you ate a human, you're character would gain A LOT of unhappiness and stress, while eating a zombie did the same, but could also infect you. 

Change "could" to "would", there is no way you wouldn't get infected from eating zombie meat.

I'm saying like if there was some way to purify the meat added into the game...

I think on the old forums the Devs have stated that they don't want to make cannibalism a part of the vanilla game. This isn't reflected in the common suggestion thread, so I can't say for certain.

I thought so as well, but when I looked at common suggestions it wasn't there so I thought I was mistaken. Maybe I wasn't?  :???:

I distinctly remember it, as it was commonly grouped with rape, children, and a few other big no's that some individuals demanded be in the game. It may have even been overlooked due to the existing mod; people aren't suggesting it if they know the mod exists, and because the mod exists, it was overlooked when building the list because it's already there, though not in the vanilla game. 

Yes, cannibalism won't be a part of the vanilla game!

It was one of the first mods of the newest additions to the team Romain "Robert Johnson" 

I'm not sure having a "Cannibal" trait makes on damn lick of sense. Exactly how many cannibals would you estimate live in Muldraugh, KY right now?

I could maybe justify this if the trait was sociopath and this was simply one of the side effects, but people have to be pretty fucking starving before they eat a human being. Most people (read: a vastly overwhelming majority of the population) would eat grass and bugs FAR before eating another human being.

I think regardless of what the ontogenesis of the zombie pathogen is, eating flesh infected with it is a bad idea. The devs have mentioned the Zombie Survival Guide (Brooks) and Romero's work as inspirations. I like to think (though have no confirmation) that one of the things they would take from the ZSG is eating zombie flesh doesn't infect you: it instantly kills you. But when it really gets down to it, no one would ever be stupid enough to try to eat a zombie in real life. If you can think of even one reasonable case that justifies this, I'll take this back, but I see no scenario where a living human decides that it's a good idea to eat zombie flesh.

I think cannibalism and cannibal trait is a good idea.

Why I like zombie games and zombie themes is because human meanness is uncovered through it. A fine example of it is the "walking dead" comic series. 

Cannibalism is an inseparable part of zombie apocalypse. Morality is an empty word in a post-apocalyptic world. Limits are exceeded, boundaries are broken. The forbidden fruit thing also plays its role.

Besides, cannibalism immersely adds to the atmosphere of the apocalypse, if presented right (depression, as stated above), insanity (if it's added), etc

Besides, cannibalism is a great part of roleplaying a villain (hello, skyrim).

I'm not sure having a "Cannibal" trait makes on damn lick of sense. Exactly how many cannibals would you estimate live in Muldraugh, KY right now?

I could maybe justify this if the trait was sociopath and this was simply one of the side effects, but people have to be pretty fucking starving before they eat a human being. Most people (read: a vastly overwhelming majority of the population) would eat grass and bugs FAR before eating another human being.

I think regardless of what the ontogenesis of the zombie pathogen is, eating flesh infected with it is a bad idea. The devs have mentioned the Zombie Survival Guide (Brooks) and Romero's work as inspirations. I like to think (though have no confirmation) that one of the things they would take from the ZSG is eating zombie flesh doesn't infect you: it instantly kills you. But when it really gets down to it, no one would ever be stupid enough to try to eat a zombie in real life. If you can think of even one reasonable case that justifies this, I'll take this back, but I see no scenario where a living human decides that it's a good idea to eat zombie flesh.

What if you were to hunt humans who hadn't been infected yet? That would solve the issue of infected flesh, though it would depend if the devs would go for "Everyone is affected and when you die, you become a zombie" or if it's normal transmission through fluids and such. So really this would be more of a suggestion when NPC's enter the mix.

Even then, there is an instinctive human revulsion to cannibalism that has nothing to do with morality. A few famous minorities aside, most human beings are pretty much incapable of cannibalism. Even then, if you're hunting a live human down… why not just hunt a deer, squirrel, or rabbit? Kentucky is bristling with wildlife year round- there's no logical reasoning, anywhere, for why someone would need to resort to cannibalism in this kind of a situation.