Got my driver's license today.

k12314

Frankly I've learned more from simply driving rather than what an instructor tells me. Hopefully I'll go for my P's (not sure what the system is in America) in the next few weeks, though I should have had them half a year ago. I obtained my L's when I still lived in a tiny country town, and you didn't need to participate in proper lessons there to go further. Imagine my utter, complete shock when I discovered upon moving closer to the city, that they actually want you to know what you're doing before you go for your test. :P

UHMs are what we have to worry about here; that's Unidentified Hopping Marsupials. Lms if you get it and all that. Those things are homing missiles at night. :P

Curious, is there vehicle restrictions in America depending on license? It's strange here; with my L's I can drive my fathers V8 clubsport, yet when I get my P's I can't drive anything larger than a V6 (they don't even take into consideration the overall power of the car anyway...). Madness, I tell you.

That's incredibly backwards Centurion haha. In America you can drive any road legal car or truck with your regular license or permit- as long as it's  not an industrial vehicle, you can drive it. Curious to know what kind of license is required in Australia to drive a twin V8 (making it a W16) such as a Bugati Veyron XD

That's incredibly backwards Centurion haha. In America you can drive any road legal car or truck with your regular license or permit- as long as it's  not an industrial vehicle, you can drive it. Curious to know what kind of license is required in Australia to drive a twin V8 (making it a W16) such as a Bugati Veyron XD

Well, I might have said it the wrong way. :P Backwards... well... it IS Australia. We finally invented electricity last week, hopefully we'll hit the wheel in a few years time.

Our license system goes like this:

- We first gain our Learner's license after a written test. We can drive anything (obviously not industrial), but we can't exceed 100km/h and must have a qualified driver with us.

- After a year's worth of driving, and 80 recorded hours, we take a practical test and gain our Provisional license. Now we can drive alone but, wait for it... can't drive anything above a V6.

- I think it's a few years of P1, P2 and such and then we get our full license. Obviously no restricions then.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure on the Veyron. :P I'm fairly sure a L plater COULD drive one... which is odd... P platers can't drive turbo powered cars either. Frankly, though, you see how some of the young'uns drive here and you'd want them restricted to pedal cars. I know that's awefully non-youthful of me to say, but I'd rather survive driving. ;)

Well, I might have said it the wrong way. :P Backwards... well... it IS Australia. We finally invented electricity last week, hopefully we'll hit the wheel in a few years time.

- We first gain our Learner's license after a written test. We can drive anything (obviously not industrial), but we can't exceed 100km/h and must have a qualified driver with us.

- After a year's worth of driving, and 80 recorded hours, we take a practical test and gain our Provisional license. Now we can drive alone but, wait for it... can't drive anything above a V6.

- I think it's a few years of P1, P2 and such and then we get our full license. Obviously no restricions then.

There are no real vehicular restrictions for certain licenses here in the states, but the system it works at seems pretty similar. Here you just need a license to drive regular civilian vehicles, a license to drive commercial vehicles (school buses, public transit, etc.), and another license for "big rigs." And you need different licenses for different sizes and types of rigs. Of course that might just be my state. Every state here in the US has different policies for all that.

There are no real vehicular restrictions for certain licenses here in the states, but the system it works at seems pretty similar. Here you just need a license to drive regular civilian vehicles, a license to drive commercial vehicles (school buses, public transit, etc.), and another license for "big rigs." And you need different licenses for different sizes and types of rigs. Of course that might just be my state. Every state here in the US has different policies for all that.

We have those as well, once we finish the learning levels. I'd say it's fairly similar once you're outside of the L and P plates overall.

We have those as well, once we finish the learning levels. I'd say it's fairly similar once you're outside of the L and P plates overall.

Yeah, we just have cards for the various learning stages as well. Learner's Permit card, Provisional License cards, then your regular license.

Congrats. It's lovely to have a car already and go pretty much anywhere.

I have always wanted to drive a stick even before I got my license. My "first" car was my dad's old car an auto '90 accord. It was good and reliable. But what I hated was it was an automatic and LUCKILY, my mom's friend was selling his car, which was a car on my have-to-get-list. A 1990 240sx hatch. Had that girl for 3 years. Would have kept her forever if it wasn't for my mom and gf b*tching all the time because of it. Now I have a bimmer, 5 speed, coupe and hating it. Though I still find myself lucky to have a car.

Manual transmission sucks in stop and go traffic. I was just in one for 2 hours.I live in san francisco and not only do I hate traffic, but traffic on steep hills sucks. If I had to choose again if I would pick a stick or auto. Hands down a stick shift.

Youre gunna get into an accident at some point. Just dont make it a big one.

Yep. You won't learn or be a better driver if you don't do accidents at some point.

This is very true. After totalling 3 cars and so many points on my record because of so many speed tickets (high insurance premium here), only 2 years ago did I learn.

I always telly friends to not drive reckless, but they think I'm just crazy and that it won't happen to them. So far, with their speeding and road racing, they are lucky to not br in an accident.

Yeah. After a few months of having a learner's permit and one failed driving test, I finally managed to get my license. I was visibly shaking from nervousness and almost passed out when I got home from the stress, but I passed the test and am now legally allowed to drive on my own. And I'm only 17 so I'm not too far behind everyone else.

Fuck that test. So much.

You sir need to try getting in the hobby of working on cars. It'll save you a lot of money and it's fun. Let me know if you need any help working on your car. I love to work on cars.

You said you had a mazda? Mazda what? I'm assuming you either have the rx7 or the miata? If it's any of those and/or is a rearwheel drive. Look up drifting.

I'm 22 and haven't bothered to learn to drive yet..But as i'm constantly getting ill after using public transport I'm getting close...

I'll miss the sleeps on a bus though...

I used to be a busser. I despised my busing system though to be fair. However on the bright side, you may lose the sleep, but you get the peace and quiet of being alone in the car. Deciding what gets played over the radio and there is always a comfortable seat in the vehicle. :) If that's your sort of thing of course.

You said you had a mazda? Mazda what? I'm assuming you either have the rx7 or the miata? If it's any of those and/or is a rearwheel drive. Look up drifting.

there are a lot more mazdas then just those two... and srsly, you suggest drifting to someone who just got his license and is still a little insecure about it?

This is very true. After totalling 3 cars and so many points on my record because of so many speed tickets (high insurance premium here), only 2 years ago did I learn.

your honor, I rest my case.

there are a lot more mazdas then just those two... and srsly, you suggest drifting to someone who just got his license and is still a little insecure about it?

your honor, I rest my case.

Lol i'm not trying to argue with you or anything so don't take it the wrong way good sir.

Well, yea i know there are many more mazdas out there. But having lived here for a few years, the only old gen mazdas out herethat I see a lot are the rx7 and the miatas. In the last 3 months, those are the only early mazdas i've seen.

Well I'm just suggesting maybe to help him a little with his insecurities (not saying he does). Maybe, drifting can be an outlet for some. It was for me.

And for my driving record, I was a teen who was overly excited of being "independent" and not caring (to an extent) for those around me when I drive recklessly. BUT I have learned my lesson. For the record, when i totalled those cars, it wasn't a big accident where anyone was injured or any property (besides the car ofc) was damaged. In fact, it was all low speed collisions that end up triggering the air bags (which is totalled by most insurance companies) with minimal damage done to the car, chassis of the car being bent because of how the car was hit and another chassis issue when I hit midway between the fender and the corner of the headlights.

There was a study done and it showed that most accidents happen near or close proximity of where you live. 2 of the 3 times, this was true for me. And they also said that in a persons lifetime, they will have at least once accident.

Congrats. It's lovely to have a car already and go pretty much anywhere.

I have always wanted to drive a stick even before I got my license. My "first" car was my dad's old car an auto '90 accord. It was good and reliable. But what I hated was it was an automatic and LUCKILY, my mom's friend was selling his car, which was a car on my have-to-get-list. A 1990 240sx hatch. Had that girl for 3 years. Would have kept her forever if it wasn't for my mom and gf b*tching all the time because of it. Now I have a bimmer, 5 speed, coupe and hating it. Though I still find myself lucky to have a car.

Manual transmission sucks in stop and go traffic. I was just in one for 2 hours.I live in san francisco and not only do I hate traffic, but traffic on steep hills sucks. If I had to choose again if I would pick a stick or auto. Hands down a stick shift.

Youre gunna get into an accident at some point. Just dont make it a big one.

Yep. You won't learn or be a better driver if you don't do accidents at some point.

I always telly friends to not drive reckless, but they think I'm just crazy and that it won't happen to them. So far, with their speeding and road racing, they are lucky to not br in an accident.

Yeah. After a few months of having a learner's permit and one failed driving test, I finally managed to get my license. I was visibly shaking from nervousness and almost passed out when I got home from the stress, but I passed the test and am now legally allowed to drive on my own. And I'm only 17 so I'm not too far behind everyone else.

Fuck that test. So much.

You sir need to try getting in the hobby of working on cars. It'll save you a lot of money and it's fun. Let me know if you need any help working on your car. I love to work on cars.

I hate working on cars. It confuses and bores me. And I didn't think anyone would care about the details, but it's a '98 Mazda 626, handles like a dream and has great gas mileage. The thing is a fucking cadaver of a car though. It's got a trunk that wasn't installed correctly from a rear-ending incident the previous owner (stepfather) got into so now the trunk doesn't open, and it has some Ford engine in it. I dunno what engine, but it has a Ford sticker on it. I couldn't care less though. It runs and doesn't break down, so I'm satisfied.

I also think drifting is incredibly dangerous and reckless, and will never do it in my life. I've already decided to just keep driving until I'm comfortable behind the wheel. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Driving a manual becomes second nature- you don't even think about it any more than you do a turn signal once you've been driving a while. Offers truly incomparable control of the car, too, which I love. Sadly, the day of the manual transmission is dying D=

Yeah

True love for manual cars

Once you get used to it, you don't even think about it, been driving manuals since I was 16, and automatics just don't compare.

Also, the automatic versions of any car is much, much more expensive than the manual ones around here, is that the same for everyone? 

Longest traffic I was in for was about 6 hours, had the shittiest time and my back was giving out, it's a pain the ass with a MT in traffic

Driving a manual becomes second nature- you don't even think about it any more than you do a turn signal once you've been driving a while. Offers truly incomparable control of the car, too, which I love. Sadly, the day of the manual transmission is dying D=

Yeah

Once you get used to it, you don't even think about it, been driving manuals since I was 16, and automatics just don't compare.

Also, the automatic versions of any car is much, much more expensive than the manual ones around here, is that the same for everyone? 

Longest traffic I was in for was about 6 hours, had the shittiest time and my back was giving out, it's a pain the ass with a MT in traffic

yeah there are pros and cons to both types or transmissions, but I prefer manual. I do admit that driving automatic is pretty comfortable, especially in slow traffic or traffic jams. but driving a manual through some serpentines and nice roads, shifting how you goddamnwell please, is awesome

Yeah

It's transformed into paddle shifters. Clutchless shifting. I think a TRUE manual car is with a clutch, not those relatively new paddle shifting.Although there WILL still be manual cars out there for car enthusiast. They just won't make a lot of it. Which will hike up the prices of manual cars.

Before I bought my bmw 3 serires, I really wanted a TSX in manual. That thing is IMPOSSIBRU to find. It's relatively rare and that option only goes to cities that has a high statistics of people buying manual cars. There was non in the bay area for a year when i was looking. When I did find one (in a stealership), he was tryna charge me 10,000 more than it's worth. B*tch you crazy.

6 hours. That sucks. I would have just stop by somewhere and let it die down. I'll be going to LA in 3 weeks. Just thinking about the traffic makes me think that we should just take my gf's car. Not only your back but your leg too. Sometimes my leg starts shaking just cuz it's too tired.

Yes. Auto cars cost more than manual cars.

I hate working on cars. It confuses and bores me. And I didn't think anyone would care about the details, but it's a '98 Mazda 626, handles like a dream and has great gas mileage. The thing is a fucking cadaver of a car though. It's got a trunk that wasn't installed correctly from a rear-ending incident the previous owner (stepfather) got into so now the trunk doesn't open, and it has some Ford engine in it. I dunno what engine, but it has a Ford sticker on it. I couldn't care less though. It runs and doesn't break down, so I'm satisfied.

I also think drifting is incredibly dangerous and reckless, and will never do it in my life. I've already decided to just keep driving until I'm comfortable behind the wheel. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Have not seen that car ever since i've lived here (6 years).

To each his own. Driving is also a pleasure in it self.

Just saying but... It's actually not that confusing as long as you know the parts. On the other hand, when something breaks down, then that's when it really gets confusing (sometimes). There is also a BIG community out there that loves (specific cars and all types of cars) anything car related.

Archived