Survival Tactics

doomblood66

Hello all!

Post your survival tactics here for all to read, ill go first

I have 2-3 smallish backup safehouses (shed, motel room, apartment bedroom/bathroom) with a 5 day supply of food & water, they all have some decent firepower and melees too as well as the usuals - meds, batteries, etc. I have a main safehouse, i dont barricade it i just use it for storing stuff, in fact im mostly nomadic. My favourite weapon is the kitchen knife (insta-kills) and i like west-point over muldraugh 

Kill everyone, steal their shit. Rinse and repeat.

lol, who are you killing? zombies only drop clothing

I'm talking about when the survivors are added in. Right now I just run around and keep stuff with me, and keep moving. But once survivors are in I'm going to start slitting people's throats while they sleep and stealing everything.

Not necessarily. I've found all kinds of stuff on zombies. A pistol, pistol ammo, pens, lockets, schoolbags, a big hiking bag, combs, and more. Yeah, most do only have clothes, but that doesn't mean that's all they can ever have.

Not necessarily. I've found all kinds of stuff on zombies. A pistol, pistol ammo, pens, lockets, schoolbags, a big hiking bag, combs, and more. Yeah, most do only have clothes, but that doesn't mean that's all they can ever have.

Killed a zombie; got an axe.  (had this a couple times)

I love zombies that drop axes; makes me check each & every one of them.

Killed a zombie once a few games back with a weapon (forget what, bat or gofl club I think), 2 bags, and other assorted stuff (painkillers I think); I called him my "survivor who didn't make it". because aside from not having food/water he was almost equipped like me heading out scavenging.

Most of them have just clothes; but those rare ones with something better are nice.

And the one I killed in a bathroom with a bath towel on him... that was weird.  Did I interrupt his shower?

i made a big safe house in the hotel, walled the stair and roped the window. I kill every zombie i see and i make a round around the hotel every 3-4 days yelling and shooting pistol to attract and kept the zombie population under check.  i made 3 rain barrel where the sun chair are and i eat chips and  other non perishable food  im pilling Berry for later, i collect them when i pass near bush.  i got over 120+ now .

also i never ever ever go in the bathroom when i loot house.

edited

other non perishable food ( canned food are rotten now )  

How do they rot? Canned food are the ones to keep around for years?

im at 52 day atm i can say for sure all canned soup are rotten,  also i still got electricity but all the food in the fridge i find are rotten too.

other non perishable food ( canned food are rotten now )  

How do they rot? Canned food are the ones to keep around for years?

im at 52 day atm i can say for sure all canned soup are rotten,  also i still got electricity but all the food in the fridge i find are rotten too.

What else rots? Dogfood? Canned beans?

Sounds like I should eat my canned soup ASAP.

i just made a quick run in some house to find out,  turn out bean , soup and dog food were NOT rotten. I dunno  if its random or if it was a bug the canned soup i had that was rotten

i just made a quick run in some house to find out,  turn out bean , soup and dog food were NOT rotten. I dunno  if its random or if it was a bug the canned soup i had that was rotten

Did you open the can of soup and leave it sitting around for awhile?

off course not, it was a can i had packed, i opened it to eat it and it was saying rotten soup.

b

Did you open the can of soup and leave it sitting around for awhile?

off course not, it was a can i had packed, i opened it to eat it and it was saying rotten soup.

bug maybe?

media\scripts\items.txt writes:

item TinnedSoupOpen	{		HungerChange	=	-30,		Weight	=	0.8,		Type	=	Food,		DisplayName	=	Canned Soup,		Icon	=	SoupOpen,		CustomContextMenu = Drink,		DaysTotallyRotten	=	4,        DaysFresh = 2,	}item TinnedSoup    {        Weight	=	0.3,        Type	=	Normal,        DisplayName	=	Canned Soup,        Icon	=	Soup,    }

so it seems like a bug

Number 1 thing that will kill you off easily in this game is boredom. Not boredom in the game but the player becoming tireless and impatient. You'll end up taking more risks and eventually get to the point that your running around the place like a madman without a care in the world.

Its the psychological effect of repeating a playthrough combined with frustration. Gotta maintain patience throughout your playthroughs and keep the risks to a minimum.

Plan plan plan.  Then plan some more.  Do not deviate from the plan, especially when looting.  That one last house that might have a hammer is going to kill you. Never engage if avoidable, don't get surrounded, keeping moving.  I have an emergency GET OUT OF DODGE bag stashed in a trash can a few blocks from my safehouse, in case I have to escape the horde on short notice.  It has enough food for a week, an empty soda bottle full of water, a pistol and ammo, baseball bat, a crowbar, can opener,  bandages, sheets,  a sweater, a spare hammer and medication.  First fallback is only a few more blocks down the street.  Second fallback is on the northern ish outskirts of Muldraugh.  Thinking of adding a backup for the backup.    At least, this is what works best for me, and I tend to take it too serious at times haha