Survival Tactics

doomblood66

1. Open up Zomboid wiki, get really lucky and find a lot of useful stuff.

2. Survive for 2 months

3. Accidently fall down the stairs during construction, make sure you are starving and have no food for bonus effect.

4. Die.

5. Try not to cry.

6. Cry a lot

oh man i feel your pain, ive had sooo much frustration with the stair too.

boracho, i like your tactic, make it sound really scary :)

Plan plan plan.  Then plan some more.  Do not deviate from the plan, especially when looting.  That one last house that might have a hammer is going to kill you. Never engage if avoidable, don't get surrounded, keeping moving.  I have an emergency GET OUT OF DODGE bag stashed in a trash can a few blocks from my safehouse, in case I have to escape the horde on short notice.  It has enough food for a week, an empty soda bottle full of water, a pistol and ammo, baseball bat, a crowbar, can opener,  bandages, sheets,  a sweater, a spare hammer and medication.  First fallback is only a few more blocks down the street.  Second fallback is on the northern ish outskirts of Muldraugh.  Thinking of adding a backup for the backup.    At least, this is what works best for me, and I tend to take it too serious at times haha 

Ah, i love it! for me thats the beauty of the game, getting fully immersed and really pushing for survival.

Because of you i started making a "GET OUT OF DODGE BAG" with some survivaly equipment!

Save butter knives and kitchen knives for only clearing buildings! These are extremely effective in tight quarters with their one shot kills. Don't waste them unnecessarily!

Keep only one of each in your main inventory with the rest in a bag or pack. This is very important since if there is more than one butter knife (or kitchen knife) it will not switch to the second butter knife automatically, and you will have to play the inventory transfer game to drop the knife with the zero status.

Whenever possible keep the butter knife equipped since they degrade the fastest (minimize carried weight). 

As soon as the butter knife breaks, the player will instantly switch to the kitchen knife, which is a lifesaver when facing multiple zombies in tight quarters (bathrooms). After five or so hits with the butter knife, check its status in your inventory (when safe) to see if its status is zero. If so, drop it, and equip another directly from your bag or pack (can be done in just a few seconds). Don't keep on using the kitchen knife if you still have butter knives--it's just for back-up.

Keep one "outdoors" weapon (frying pan, rolling pin, baseball bat, etc.) in your main inventory in case you quickly blow through both the butter knife and kitchen knife, and don't have time to go into the inventory (it will automatically switch). Make sure this is one you are comfortable using indoors (I like the frying pan--golf clubs suck indoors).

I have been playing sandbox with the zombie numbers at insane, which is why the above method was developed (out of necessity). There is just not enough time and too many zombies to knock the zombies down, then finish them off before other zombies are on top of you. Of course, this works just fine on settings lower than insane.

Here's a few tips/observations I got so far (from max difficulty sandbox with sprinters)
(In no particular order) :

- I don't think that nomadic lifestyle is a good idea.
 When there's no more dry noodles or canned beans left in KY (and you've just finished the last orange soda), you gonna end up with 2 choices:
a) Eat rotten stuff, get sick and die.
b) Don't eat rotten stuff, and die.

Therefore, its important to prepare your SUSTAINABLE sources of food and water BEFORE the power/water is cut off.
However, taking trips between multiple safehouses would be inefficient  (since traveling long distances involves running and killing zombies, which in turn, makes you more tired, thirsty and hungry)

- At the moment there is no way of moving empty water barrels, so if you plan on surviving in the forest, you will always have to stay close to your initial camp with water supply or build new barrels everywhere you go.

- Long term survival pretty much depends on availability of tools (Hammer+Nails for water barrels/trowel for farming are the most important ones) - Find those ASAP.

- NEVER try to enter an unknown building without having an escape plan in case of an alarm.

- It might be a good idea to smash a few windows in unlooted houses on your way back to the safehouse - this gives Z's inside the building time to break other windows and doors (free planks) while you rest, and hopefully go away by the time you come back in the morning.

- When looting a house, always check the bedroom first - if you find a school/hiking bag it will save you time packing/unpacking looted stuff later.

- Investing in athletic skill is suicidal against sprinters (so is using guns, unless u got a shotgun with 50-100 rounds)

- When looting, if your backpack allows it, take empty bowls, mugs and cooking pots - you can fill those with water and store in the safe house later.

- 2 barrels seem to be enough (since plants get watered by rain too) but you never know..

- If you plan on moving out, but the safehouse is completely surrounded, DON'T try acting like a ninja. Instead, go back to your safehouse and wait for them to move. Better be bored/stressed/hungry tomorrow then die today.

- If you plan on waiting out quietly upstairs every time a horde attacks your safehouse, then barricading the first floor is pointless (and wasteful).

- Resilient trait is useless IMHO - its not immunity - if a Z bites you, you still gonna get infected and die - being resilient will only add a few days of suffering.

- Kitchen knife is great, though I only use it when I have to engage multiple Zs - knocking them down with a swinging weapon is less effective since they keep getting up.

- ALWAYS REMEMBER MURPHY'S LAW (This should be Rule #1 IMHO xD)

P.S. I love the "GET OUT OF DODGE BAG" idea, suggested by Boracho. Good advice, sir! You've just saved a few lives!

Unless he had it open for 4 days and forgot...

maybe , seem like the logical explanation, but i never open stuff before actually needing them. anyhow we kinda broke the thread we went from survival tactic to  101 way to cook you beans :)

Yeah I believe you....nhmm that's weird