What happened to metalworking?

Moss7

On 1/16/2017 at 6:50 AM, Zorak said:

But are there any plans to make metalworking unique in any way ?

Or it will be yet another dead profession ?

All professions are dead professions in PZ. he... he... he...

Anyways, more seriously I think overall we can agree that there must be improvements to it. What I suggest in the mean time is to make separate threads on your specific ideas on how to improve or add to the skill. I've seen a lot of the things I've suggested be integrated into the game (most recently fruit salad :D). I see a lot of good suggestions in the bottom of the thread here but I worry that since they're at the bottom they'll get overlooked. New threads! More suggestions! Go go go be creative!

• 11 months later...

Yeah, ok, i do a bit of necro here, but who can blame me bout that in a zombie game ?

On 16/01/2017 at 1:58 PM, Zorak said:

In The walking Dead universe after 3-4y groups use blacksmithing, forges etc. For many customers it can be "just like in TWD"

I agree that building forge from day1 is a bit silly but perhapse lvl 7-10 to start is a good way for some end game stuff

About that idea (related to Metalworking and all the smithing aspect thing), indeed, ties the smithing recipes to the higher lvl of Metalworking is something "realistic".

1) It's reflect the "natural" experience of a survivor in a new hostile environment and his need to expand (improvise) his knowledge/skillset to do new (usefull) things.

2) The higher lvl required for using smithing recipes reflect also the gained experience on the field (tying thes recipes to high lvl [my call is even 9-10, i'm less generous than Zorak :P ).

• 2 months later...

I want to add my two cents to this.

I believe Metalworking should be mostly welding stuff together and reforging existing stuff, at least until the later level 9/10.

Around 9/10 I don't see why the player can't make rudimentary weapons or tools, doors, etc.

You have to remember how much practice and work it takes to reach the later levels of a skill, once you get there, you should be able to do great stuff.

2 hours ago, Gurluas said:

I want to add my two cents to this.

I believe Metalworking should be mostly welding stuff together and reforging existing stuff, at least until the later level 9/10.

Around 9/10 I don't see why the player can't make rudimentary weapons or tools, doors, etc.

You have to remember how much practice and work it takes to reach the later levels of a skill, once you get there, you should be able to do great stuff.

Yep. All I want is a reuse/re-purpose/maintain skill. Finding blacksmithing tools (e.g. a form for nail heads or a press for hinges) at a museum or a farm house of a hobbies would be fabulous.  Not smelting my own metals with forks and knives then magicing out a wall from my resulting good-as-new stock. Even that I can tolerate to a limited extent, if we really can't live without the ability to make a piece of crap out of a something with a low melting point . . .

But that runs into trouble with the people who want to persist after everything man kind created disappears, either years later in SP or MP. Which ignores that if you can get to this point then either the game's poorly balanced or lacking something or it failed to kill you. It's a reasonable concern, considering how guns and item breaking and repair are handled in game now.

I just never pictured PZ imitating most survival games out there that try to let you do everything and basically build a medical or early industrial society.  It's just not what I like, personally. I'd want the focus to be scavenging and dreading the day you can't find any more twinkies. Something more akin to Fallout 1 and the way its art conveyed how survivors picked up their lives on what as left.

9 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yep. All I want is a reuse/re-purpose/maintain skill. Finding blacksmithing tools (e.g. a form for nail heads or a press for hinges) at a museum or a farm house of a hobbies would be fabulous.  Not smelting my own metals with forks and knives then magicing out a wall from my resulting good-as-new stock. Even that I can tolerate to a limited extent, if we really can't live without the ability to make a piece of crap out of a something with a low melting point . . .

But that runs into trouble with the people who want to persist after everything man kind created disappears, either years later in SP or MP. Which ignores that if you can get to this point then either the game's poorly balanced or lacking something or it failed to kill you. It's a reasonable concern, considering how guns and item breaking and repair are handled in game now.

I just never pictured PZ imitating most survival games out there that try to let you do everything and basically build a medical or early industrial society.  It's just not what I like, personally. I'd want the focus to be scavenging and dreading the day you can't find any more twinkies. Something more akin to Fallout 1 and the way its art conveyed how survivors picked up their lives on what as left.

Generally if you play the proper hardcore experience,, surviving to the point where you get a skill to level 10 is REALLY hard due to how dangerous the world is and how limited supplies are.

This is why I believe that you can balance this out by making everyone happy. Add the "self-sufficient" features at the end of a skill.

If you can survive for 6 months and get your metalworking and carpentry to 10, then you deserve to be able to be a bit self-sufficient. People who want to be 100% self-sufficient from the start can use mods or experience multipliers.

I definitely would like to see you being rewarded for surviving and making it alive and mastering a discipline in spite of the state of the world and limited supplies.

Edited by Gurluas

• 5 years later...