suppressors/silencers for firearms

Kelefane

Any reason these aren't in the game? Or at least a way to craft a homemade one? 

I think they'd be real useful. Especially when used inside of buildings and in situations involving NPC's when they get introduced and other players. 

There are mods that add them. You should totally check out this mod that is in the process of being updated.

Any reason the devs frown upon them? Are they not looked at as realistic for this particular game world? You could make them to where they are only truly useful and not attract Z's when you're using them inside of buildings doing building/house loot sweeps. But not as effective outside and would still attract Z's. For a happy medium :)

Also, every Zombie flick I have seen the main weapons are firearms (TWD is this way too, albeit they do use knives and other melee weapons at times) but using firearms isn't the big consequence in these movies and shows that this game is. Yeah, the noise attracts Z's in the movies/shows, but not at the frequency that this game portrays. 

Its almost too big of a penalty to use firearms in PZ. They attract way too much attention. Maybe more attention than what is needed IMO. Perhaps cut the sound radius in half or something? I don't think a firearm going off should attract Z's for miles, but rather just in your immediate area and hey, if none are there, none are attracted. 

And yeah, I knew about the mods having them. I was just more curious why the game itself hasn't included them. Thanks for those links above. 

They're frowned on because they're kinda useless. Even if you have one to use most gunshots can still be heard by more than a mile away. It wouldn't really your situation that much. You're still gonna have a large horde running at you.

I've heard one on an AR before and while it did quiet it a lot, it sounded like a .22, not a whisper. Sounding like a .22 instead of a .223 is a huge difference.

But anyway,

Its almost too big of a penalty to use firearms in PZ. They attract way too much attention. Maybe more attention than what is needed IMO. Perhaps cut the sound radius in half or something? I don't think a firearm going off should attract Z's for miles, but rather just in your immediate area and hey, if none are there, none are attracted.

I think the real problem with movie-like silencers, is that they would be too powerful player-vs-player or player-vs-npc action. Realistic silencers wouldn't be that useful. But once they are in the game, people would probably demand that the devs make them useful. They way it is right now, guns have a very specific purpose. Guns are not there to protect your safehouse from zeds. They are there to lure the zeds somewhere else.