Grand Theft Auto V

DirectorPr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very least since it's in 3D, Zelda IS total rubbish. The newer titles are basically only interesting for babies and the N64 ones suffer from horrible controls and unfocused "spray and pray" design somewhere between toy and puzzle. The high metacritic scores only serve to prove once again how ridiculous the modern day game press is and how arbitrary their criteria. The only reason 3D Zelda is held in high regard, is technological spectacle. Beyond the superficial "greatness" of sound, graphics and scale, there's nothing even remotely resembling a robust interactive system.

(GTA is a lot better, but should finally accept it's nature in being a toy and get rid of all the "gamey" crap muddying up the system!)

Controls requiring precise platforming or quick movement in a 3D environment are pretty much inherently broken. Also, the way the game makes you replay huge chunks of boring and stupid puzzles all the time is more than disrespectful towards the player's lifetime.

Why was it amazing? Can you think of anything NOT having to do with superficial values/spectacle?

Controls requiring precise platforming or quick movement in a 3D environment are pretty much inherently broken. Also, the way the game makes you replay huge chunks of boring and stupid puzzles all the time is more than disrespectful towards the player's lifetime.

Why was it amazing? Can you think of anything NOT having to do with superficial values/spectacle?

You realise that Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released 15 years ago? Of course it can't hold up with current games, but back in the day it was one of the best games available on N64... Why? Because of the awesome music, story, characters, game experience, graphics, sidequests ... etc.

Zork sucks too compared to current titles ... but still it was a milestone of computer gaming at some point of time.

Back on Topic:

How are the shooting controls of GTAV? Do they play as strange as in other Rockstar titles or has it improved?

Oh my God.

Can't believe you're talking about a game released in the late 90's

Hahaha, I could call you dumb and silly(and many other things), but I'm ending this conversation right here right now. I will have no further part in this.

Have a nice day.

You realise that Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released 15 years ago? Of course it can't hold up with current games, but back in the day it was one of the best games available on N64... Why? Because of the awesome music, story, characters, game experience, graphics, sidequests ... etc.

It has nothing to do with the game being old at all. Pacman holds up extremely well today, because it is actually a robust system of a GAME. The same is true for Tetris, Space Invaders, Joust and many others. Those were actually designed games. With genuinely new and well-working mechanics! Wheras the last decades were controlled by the technological race for better graphics and sound to make games look and feel like movies (which is the biggest mistake the industry has ever made and the reason for game design still being in its infancy). All the things you listed have nothing to do with games, but are tons of STUFF poured over an actually boring and shallow system to make it SEEM interesting in some way.

It has nothing to do with the game being old at all. Pacman holds up extremely well today, because it is actually a robust system of a GAME. The same is true for Tetris, Space Invaders, Joust and many others. Those were actually designed games. With genuinely new and well-working mechanics! Wheras the last decades were controlled by the technological race for better graphics and sound to make games look and feel like movies (which is the biggest mistake the industry has ever made and the reason for game design still being in its infancy). All the things you listed have nothing to do with games, but are tons of STUFF poured over an actually boring and shallow system to make it SEEM interesting in some way.

Okay, that's your opinion. Now if you want to continue this discussion open another thread please. Same goes for datkid.

EDIT:

Hahaha, I could call you dumb and silly(and many other things), but I'm ending this conversation right here right now. I will have no further part in this.

Telling what you "could" say doesn't make it better. Stay lovely!

How are the shooting controls of GTAV? Do they play as strange as in other Rockstar titles or has it improved?

Good when on foot. You can switch between assisted aim, aimbot-like autoaim and free aim.

Shooting out of vehicles is a fucking nightmare, though. Either I didn't figure it out or there is no real way to aim without shooting.

Is there any challenge in GTA V? You'll have to forgive the question, I've never actually gotten around to playing them. I've always kept up with them, but never played (except a bit of GTA IV at a friend's house). It's always kind of seemed like an awkward game that's somewhat confused about whether it's a true sandbox or a game-game. The one thing that always turned me off is that they're presented as a game with storylines and quests and such, but it's never seemed to be anything of a challenge (other than stuff like awkward controls- I mean true difficulty here). What I played of GTA IV there was no challenge at all.

Is there any challenge in GTA V? You'll have to forgive the question, I've never actually gotten around to playing them. I've always kept up with them, but never played (except a bit of GTA IV at a friend's house). It's always kind of seemed like an awkward game that's somewhat confused about whether it's a true sandbox or a game-game. The one thing that always turned me off is that they're presented as a game with storylines and quests and such, but it's never seemed to be anything of a challenge (other than stuff like awkward controls- I mean true difficulty here). What I played of GTA IV there was no challenge at all.

Exactly what I meant above. It's a neat toy, that could be so much better if it got rid of all the wannabe-game crap.

Exactly what I meant above. It's a neat toy, that could be so much better if it got rid of all the wannabe-game crap.

Can we move the "What can change the nature of a Game" discussion somewhere else, along with the "3D == Bad?"

Can we move the "What can change the nature of a Game" discussion somewhere else, along with the "3D == Bad?"

I dont think his opinion on the series deserves a diffrent topic IMHO. He IS talking about the game this thread was created for and criticising it. The 3D junk, however, can go somewhere else.

I dont think his opinion on the series deserves a diffrent topic IMHO. He IS talking about the game this thread was created for and criticising it. The 3D junk, however, can go somewhere else.

I'm sorry, but the "wannabe-game" crap is proliferated through the entire GTA series. You might as well just start going on about how games are not stories or half-measures involving sandbox playstyles just aren't nice in another thread instead.

I've died a few times, the health regenerates to 50% when it drops below that. Its somewhat hard considering I'm playing it blind. Police NPC definitely are interesting, they ram you now if you're going slow than them. Gun shots do a bit more damage then they used to, right now I'm mainly doing missions, but its somewhat challenging. But then again I don't usually play console.