Making Urban Decay and Nature's Overgrowth 2 different Sandbox options.

Magic Mark

Hi! My first suggestion post in a while, I'll try to keep this one short and sweet, and less acidic than my previous ones. Enjoy!

I absolutely love the direction we are all going in, build 33 sounds fantastic. I think this change would be a minor one but still useful for people who want varied Sandbox games.

With creative mode on the way, these additional options can help players who wish to have further creative control to how their world develops.

This could also potentially solve any issues with erosion rates.

The Ideas.

Make Urban Decay and Nature's Overgrowth two entirely different Sandbox Settings.

Currently, walls cracking and trees growing are the same setting.

While erosion is a great feature to have, and not many games have it, I think it would be fair to give players the option to diversify the feature.

Currently you indeed can adjust the rate of erosion, but there is some room for improvement there. Some people may like the fact that trees and fields slowly grow, but may not like their walls of their beautiful house cracking and looking out of shape.

With me, for example, I would keep grass growth and tree growth at a noticeable rate, but I would set Decay to the slowest setting, since I like to 'maintain' the look of my farmhouse.

Add the option to disable Decay/Overgrowth. Increase the range you can change it to.

Some people may not like Erosion as a noticeable feature in their world, and would like the option to slow it down even further than 500 days (which is currently the slowest you can set it). Some people may think it should take many years for decay to actually occur, a wider range to set it at could help them.

The option to disable either of them individually would be useful as well, as I noted in the earlier announcements of the Erosion mod integration some people were against it.

The changes these ideas could bring if implemented:

• People who have problems with the erosion rates would have more control to change it in sandbox mode to their preference.
  • Players who build amazing things on creative mode would be able to preserve them from overgrowth and cracking if they want to.
  • Add more creative control to players who want to make their custom game-mode more diverse.

Well, what do you all think? Is increasing the diversity in the options really necessary? How would you change it if the settings were added? Let me know in the comments! Long live PZ!

-KJ1

Aside from possible technical difficulties with dividing the nature and urban stuff (afaik the game doesn't differentiate between them in any way), I can't see any reason not to have this eventually.

That's actually a really good point, I could totally understand the roadblock in this being that they are categorized the same in code. 

I think the separation could be in what grows on grass/nature tiles and the texture change for man-made tiles. I don't really know the code though, so with my luck probably not.

Hi! My first suggestion post in a while, I'll try to keep this one short and sweet, and less acidic than my previous ones. Enjoy!

I absolutely love the direction we are all going in, build 33 sounds fantastic. I think this change would be a minor one but still useful for people who want varied Sandbox games.

With creative mode on the way, these additional options can help players who wish to have further creative control to how their world develops.

This could also potentially solve any issues with erosion rates.

The Ideas.

Make Urban Decay and Nature's Overgrowth two entirely different Sandbox Settings.

While erosion is a great feature to have, and not many games have it, I think it would be fair to give players the option to diversify the feature.

Currently you indeed can adjust the rate of erosion, but there is some room for improvement there. Some people may like the fact that trees and fields slowly grow, but may not like their walls of their beautiful house cracking and looking out of shape.

With me, for example, I would keep grass growth and tree growth at a noticeable rate, but I would set Decay to the slowest setting, since I like to 'maintain' the look of my farmhouse.

Add the option to disable Decay/Overgrowth. Increase the range you can change it to.

Some people may not like Erosion as a noticeable feature in their world, and would like the option to slow it down even further than 500 days (which is currently the slowest you can set it). Some people may think it should take many years for decay to actually occur, a wider range to set it at could help them.

The option to disable either of them individually would be useful as well, as I noted in the earlier announcements of the Erosion mod integration some people were against it.

The changes these ideas could bring if implemented:

• People who have problems with the erosion rates would have more control to change it in sandbox mode to their preference.
  • Players who build amazing things on creative mode would be able to preserve them from overgrowth and cracking if they want to.
  • Add more creative control to players who want to make their custom game-mode more diverse.

Well, what do you all think? Is increasing the diversity in the options really necessary? How would you change it if the settings were added? Let me know in the comments! Long live PZ!

-KJ1

+1 times a million.

It would be cool if temperature could effect the rate at which roads crack etc. In the winter you get 'frost-action' which causes a lot of the cracking issues you see in pavement, concrete, etc. So when the temperature drops below freezing and then rises above freezing you would notice more cracks and degradation. Might be too bothersome to do though.

• 4 months later...

The Ideas.

Yes please <3