Glass making

tamercloud

I always thought it would be a nice idea that eventually you would be able to restore a small town or at least a portion of it to the way it was before. Sometimes you just want to restore one building, but unfortunately the windows always get busted. Currently there is no way to restore broken windows.

Here is my suggestion, have a way to harvest sand from the river areas and turn it into glass using fire and some kind of mold. This would be a great late-game objective.

Here are some things that could be useful if you could make glass:

Glass paneling

Glass bottles, jarring supplies

sunroofs for buildings without power

I just like the idea of restoring order to chaos, or at least making things look nice again :)

Molten glass is definitely ways away from being in the game, but I like the idea of at least finding glass panes.

Oh - side suggestion, construction sites could be a source for finding place-able windows.

Also, this isn't minecraft - creating glass from sand doesn't work like that. Sand requires a very high temperature to actually melt. On top of that, other things to actually be able to do it, and safely at that. You can't realistically accomplish this with "fire and some kind of mold". Also welcome to the forums.

I always thought it would be a nice idea that eventually you would be able to restore a small town or at least a portion of it to the way it was before. Sometimes you just want to restore one building, but unfortunately the windows always get busted. Currently there is no way to restore broken windows.

Here is my suggestion, have a way to harvest sand from the river areas and turn it into glass using fire and some kind of mold. This would be a great late-game objective.

Here are some things that could be useful if you could make glass:

Glass paneling

Glass bottles, jarring supplies

sunroofs for buildings without power

I just like the idea of restoring order to chaos, or at least making things look nice again :)

hey welcome to the forums. great to have another mind. i would highly check out the post of confirmed and denied (i recommend this to everyone new) and would once again like to say welcome. 

now for my whole opinion on this. +1. simple as that.

Here is the link of confirmed or denied stuff (not that this is on there)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Glassmaking requires some pretty specialized tools and materials. Metal, depending on what you're working with and how, is actually relatively trivial compared to how complex it is to make -good- glass. 

However, there may be some kind of hope in the "salvage and retrofit" line of thinking. Windows, after all, are not structurally too different from one another, and while it may become a bit of a hot commodity in an active surviving community... it'd be neat to see that kind of stuff enter the realm of trade and cooperation.

+1 for scavenging windows or glass panes to repair windows.   not so much for the smelting sand idea though.  

I have actually made glass with sand and my forge.  I had to retrofit it a little to contain the heat better to smelt the sand in a crucible but all in all it worked.   I blew it into one ugly vase looking thing.  takes too many things to be a realistic feature in project zomboid imo.

+1 for scavenging windows or glass panes to repair windows.   not so much for the smelting sand idea though.  

I have actually made glass with sand and my forge.  I had to retrofit it a little to contain the heat better to smelt the sand in a crucible but all in all it worked.   I blew it into one ugly vase looking thing.  takes too many things to be a realistic feature in project zomboid imo.

well i see it being possible but only as a late game thing. give purpose to late game players.

Glassmaking requires some pretty specialized tools and materials. Metal, depending on what you're working with and how, is actually relatively trivial compared to how complex it is to make -good- glass. 

However, there may be some kind of hope in the "salvage and retrofit" line of thinking. Windows, after all, are not structurally too different from one another, and while it may become a bit of a hot commodity in an active surviving community... it'd be neat to see that kind of stuff enter the realm of trade and cooperation.

Ehhh, metal still isn't quite that simple unless you're working with something like copper though I do like the thought of people stealing each other's windows lol

Ehhh, metal still isn't quite that simple unless you're working with something like copper though I do like the thought of people stealing each other's windows lol

well copper, aluminum, tin and other simple metals. very few could work things like titanium or steel.

well copper, aluminum, tin and other simple metals. very few could work things like titanium or steel.

Basically just weak metals with a low melting point

Anything truly sturdy takes lots of discipline that most people wouldn't have and workshops that Kentucky doesn't have

Edit: Workshops as in blacksmithing, I suppose if you could work a factory machine it's feasible but I don't see that happening either

Anything truly sturdy takes lots of discipline that most people wouldn't have and workshops that Kentucky doesn't have

Edit: Workshops as in blacksmithing, I suppose if you could work a factory machine it's feasible but I don't see that happening either

well i was able to make a pretty good knife from aluminum. It didn't last long but i was able to endure a few good projects. All i did was take a good 30-40 cans, threw them into a forge i made from a planter, a pot, and a few other items. Then a good flat stone surface as well as an old hammer i was able to make the blade. No major decals or anything, but just a sharp edge and point. I also used a grinder to sharpen it, but i guess stones or other things could be used to work just as well.

well i was able to make a pretty good knife from aluminum. It didn't last long but i was able to endure a few good projects. All i did was take a good 30-40 cans, threw them into a forge i made from a planter, a pot, and a few other items. Then a good flat stone surface as well as an old hammer i was able to make the blade. No major decals or anything, but just a sharp edge and point. I also used a grinder to sharpen it, but i guess stones or other things could be used to work just as well.

At the very least you could make some kitchen supplies

But to be honest, those cans probably would be more useful in an apocalypse 

You can make a forge that can make iron red-hot if you have a place for the charcoal with a hole at the bottom for the bellows. Bellows and charcoal are straight-forward to make, and a large enough piece of iron can serve as an anvil. Bricks and stones are easy enough to find. You may be able to find clay.

And please be careful with aluminium. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018

You can make a forge that can make iron red-hot if you have a place for the charcoal with a hole at the bottom for the bellows. Bellows and charcoal are straight-forward to make, and a large enough piece of iron can serve as an anvil. Bricks and stones are easy enough to find. You may be able to find clay.

And please be careful with aluminium. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018

yes i understand the Alzheimer scare. But still i use it (not commonly) on occasion. I typically also use tin cans from things like soup cans. that or i use other busted materials to make things with.

Finding glass panels at construction sites is a very good idea.

if they are not all broken by then.

That condition is catch 22 - you could say that about every window in PZ.

very true but to get the installed ones, you really need skill or luck to make sure they don't break and shatter.

With the decorating mode, it seems that there is a chance to break the windows with moving them already planned.

I'd be up for introducing glass making since I want to be able to can food but right now the drop rate is so low it's not at all practical. While some people think it would be overpowered if canning was easy, I'd be up for requiring a canning machine that you would have to collect rare parts for or you needed a high level skill to complete.

I'd imagine glass panels would be rather heavy too and require a certain level of carpentry to install

They do. The ones in the preview have 10 weight and have a chance of breaking. They require hammers and likely a certain level of carpentry to install. The preview character had level 10.

I'd imagine glass panels would be rather heavy too and require a certain level of carpentry to install

They do. The ones in the preview have 10 weight and have a chance of breaking. They require hammers and likely a certain level of carpentry to install. The preview character had level 10.

oh really? when was this shown