Too Many Skillpoints

Svarog

I think the amount of experience needed to get a spendable skill point needs to be increased. I have spent 9 of them in one month and currently have 16 extra ones, by the time I spend them I'll have another 30. Maybe get 1/2 or 3/4 of skill point for every possible skill level up? Make it a valuable thing?

That or they should be removed from the game altogether and skills should just automatically go up as soon as we get enough XP, the way it is, one only needs a few skill books and spamming of some skill increasing activity to get a bunch free points. They are currently pointless with how it is.

Note: I play Sandbox with default XP multiplier.

I think the amount of experience needed to get a spendable skill point needs to be increased. I have spent 9 of them in one month and currently have 16 extra ones, by the time I spend them I'll have another 30. Maybe get 1/2 or 3/4 of skill point for every possible skill level up? Make it a valuable thing?

That or they should be removed from the game altogether and skills should just automatically go up as soon as we get enough XP, the way it is, one only needs a few skill books and spamming of some skill increasing activity to get a bunch free points. They are currently pointless with how it is.

Note: I play Sandbox with default XP multiplier.

I wish I had free skill points to spend :o 

Am I missing something? :P

snip

Get a carpentry skill book, a bunch of planks, nails and a hammer and just spam build floor tiles until you have all skill points you need. I never once in my PZ experience had a shortage of skill points.

i agree with Mig. I dont ever have a surplus. When i do its only for a few but honestly i can see your point about them begin common later on. I agree with the removal of the points but the skills increase automatically. irl we don't have to wait to do something over and over just so we can learn to cook soup.

It does seem a little redundant to need to unlock a skill with xp then purchase it with the xp you already earned.

In my opinion, the skills should automatically increase when you get them high enough, and the 'global ex' (that you earn for doing anything) should either be removed. Or, if you don't want to remove it, have it be spent on something else, like increasing base attributes. (I think there's only strength and fitness right now, but i assume more could be added. e.g. a perception skill that modifies your vision radius.)

It does seem a little redundant to need to unlock a skill with xp then purchase it with the xp you already earned.

In my opinion, the skills should automatically increase when you get them high enough, and the 'global ex' (that you earn for doing anything) should either be removed. Or, if you don't want to remove it, have it be spent on something else, like increasing base attributes. (I think there's only strength and fitness right now, but i assume more could be added. e.g. a perception skill that modifies your vision radius.)

I support this.

The only way to get lots of exp with carpentry is to pick a starting profession with it. Yeah, with carpenter profession + up to 12x exp bonus and x1.6 with extra exp perk is nice, but really, its one-time use. Once you get carpentry up to lvl 10, it won't give any exp. Plus, you already wasted ~6 starting perk points on carpentry.

Carpentry at lvl 10 won't give a lot of skill points. Their price increase over levels aquired too. Aiming and shooting give nice amount of exp too. Hovewer, you are mostly limited by your success in other areas. Eg. you maxed carpentry, have like 20-25 free skill points, but you have 4x10 vital skills and maybe ~12x10 non vital additional skills..20-30 points, dat overpovered? srsly? I dont think so

snip

Yes it is OP because it puts characters without a starting skill at a disadvantage where skill points may actually not be there when needed. If you start with Farming, Cooking or Carpentry at at least level 1 with 75% boost and use skill books, you'll get tons of free skill points while characters who specialize in stuff without a skill book will never get that many.

It's a broken mechanic no matter at what angle you're looking at it. Skill points are either plentiful or there is too few of them. They are not a valuable thing in any way, there is lots of ways to abuse and exploit to get them for free.

They should not be awarded in a way they are but rather like I said 1/2 or 1/3 per new available skill level or removed from the game altogether because they are just pointless in the long run. Or just make it so that Major skills level up automatically but others require skill points, either way, tweaks are needed.

I have no idea why they're even there in the first place. To prevent people from mastering every single skill? There are better ways to force specialization, giving crafting recipes and\or other special abilities only to some specific professions because let's face it, no amount of skill books and crafting magazines will give a man the experience someone with a profession has after years of studying in his specific field.

I think that in some cases profession + easy stuff (aiming sshooting carpentry) do give a nice boost. As I said, its a one-time boost, which will seriously delay your other main skills (considering you don't play as carpenter all game). The system itself is wonderful and works well - first levels are aquied easily with that carpentry thing, but after that levels require tons of exp and carpentry will be maxed. (If you go all-out on carpentry). Even if you aquire profession skill point - after early game, you won't have skill points, because they would be in vital professions. You will have to decide what to take and what to not take. Anyways, yes, carpentry is probably easiest to max, however I don't get whats wrong with current system. And nothing wrong with some professions being harder to master - carpentry btw is the only profession, which doesnt require serious scavenging at all, everything else is like crazy hard (like farming) or not-so-often used (like cooking)

Fallot: New Vegas flashbacks...

That would actually be a great way to do it (Ie: Having global XP that can be spent on Perception, Strength, Intelligence, Fitness, maybe even Charisma for when survivors are added)