new build and tactics

psykikk

hey there

I am playing the game for a few months now (or years ? ) and came back just a few weeks before the latest build

it´s still a great game,. but one thing that makes me wonder is the new "zed perception"

and thus the horde forming.

dont get me wrong, i love the idea that a zed that walks towards a general direction will get noticed by others. they will react , and have the tendency to "think" 'he must know where food is' and just follow ...

BUT (and theres always a but)

why do zeds all over sudden notice me from all over the map, even when I am standing perfectly still, covered behind trees 

(and even a house, I tested it).

having to sneak, avoid and such was my game style anyways, but right now its getting a bit absurd.

i mean i could live with it if there were any ways to distract the zeds. for example set up an alarm clock or something ike that.

that would be super sweet and lore-friendly. 

or set up a cage with a rat in it... put it on a skateboard.. like in TWD tv series.

long rant, short question: whats the best tactic to avoid zeds, stay hidden and mind my own business ?

like others said: so far its safest to stay inside and die when the food runs out...

Us right mouse button or ctrl, and walk with that, and stay away from zombies, and upgrade lightfooted and sneak when possible.

It works with me.

Also, dont go through urban and city areas, just walk through the woods to get to your destination, the zed are always in the most valuaable places.

Watch a mathas playthrough and you can learn how to break the horde's line of sight and lose the horde

Try running and breaking your line of sight with a horde and then running in another direction, with trees or a house

Don't try to purely outrun the horde, you'll just end up running into an even bigger horde

You guys have to learn how to give the horde the slip

never played last stand. started with sandbox always ever since i got the game. 

what I do now when I am interested in a building is walk around it to attract all nearby zeds, lure them to an area with trees, already looted houses and such and then escape through houses or trees. walk away from main target for a short time, then circle back. seems to be working ok.

but: a lot mor planning and tactics is needed. 

I LIKE IT A LOT

what I do now when I am interested in a building is walk around it to attract all nearby zeds, lure them to an area with trees, already looted houses and such and then escape through houses or trees. walk away from main target for a short time, then circle back. seems to be working ok.

I LIKE IT A LOT

This is one of the best and most underused tactics, and people gonna have to start doing it more going forward :D

benefit of single player.

but you are right. its hard to remember where I "parked" the hordes...

I LIKE IT A LOT

This is one of the best and most underused tactics, and people gonna have to start doing it more going forward :D

it would be even greater if we could et up some kind of distraction, like alarm clocks or something... car alarms etc. 

they have that mechanic in State of Decay and its one of the best features about it i think. Makes you really plan your approach and such.

it would also be possible to set up a chain of alarms to lure bigger hordes away from a certain area. 

and alarm clocks shouldnt be hard to find... at least electronic ones. once power runs out... who owns a mechanical alarm clock nowadays ???

I feel that there might need to be more tweaking done to zombie memory before that becomes a reliable tactic, though. I have to keep within viewing distance of the horde on my game, or they give up chasing me.

I've even had instances of a zombie seeing me through a window in a bathroom. It started lumbering towards the window, but I opened a cabinet, took a sheet out of it, and put it over the window and closed it. The zombie never once attacked the window, and when I went outside to take care of it on the chance it might start attacking the window, it wasn't even anywhere near the window, it had gone back to where it was when it first spotted me.

This all took place on the most recent IWBUMS build, by the by. Last edit, I promise.

I lied. I forgot to mention this is in Survival mode, not sandbox.

The trick is you do a full round about, you literally grab all the zombies and then run out of the neighborhood around the block and back to the old spot that is now clear.

this.

i use lodas of slow shamblers and the hard part is staying close that they follow but lead so much that you can react if somethings coming from the sides / front. 

but highly effective.

still: me want distractions being possible

I LIKE IT A LOT

it would be even greater if we could et up some kind of distraction, like alarm clocks or something... car alarms etc. 

they have that mechanic in State of Decay and its one of the best features about it i think. Makes you really plan your approach and such.

it would also be possible to set up a chain of alarms to lure bigger hordes away from a certain area. 

and alarm clocks shouldnt be hard to find... at least electronic ones. once power runs out... who owns a mechanical alarm clock nowadays ???

Pipe bombs would be nice :)  I have over 1500 hours on State of Decay and it's always fun teaching zombies how to fly with a well placed pipe bomb. 

Since my first time playing PZ I've always thought mixing it with SoD would make the perfect zombie game.

I LIKE IT A LOT

Pipe bombs would be nice :)  I have over 1500 hours on State of Decay and it's always fun teaching zombies how to fly with a well placed pipe bomb. 

Since my first time playing PZ I've always thought mixing it with SoD would make the perfect zombie game.

couldnt agree more.

some things in SOD are just great, like the mentioned distractions.

but its more or less an arcade game.

I stil  think PZ has the survival aspect as well as the fortification part down almost perfect.

if though a little... too generic.

why can´t i break down furniture to barricaed stuff ?

I want to be able to lock a chair under a doorknob and have precious seconds bought that way.

i want to be able to build treehouses and moats.

also I think dynamos from bikes could make a nice addition as electricity source. cobine them with sall windmills and you can have lights all day. maybe flickering but better than darkness

couldnt agree more.

I stil  think PZ has the survival aspect as well as the fortification part down almost perfect.

I want to be able to lock a chair under a doorknob and have precious seconds bought that way.

also I think dynamos from bikes could make a nice addition as electricity source. cobine them with sall windmills and you can have lights all day. maybe flickering but better than darkness

The danger is that it just becomes another zombie/survival/minecraft game. Which would actually make it into a more a 'generic game'

I'm all up for crafting elements, and beleive there are still many items and recipes to be added,  but as dev's recently stated, your not 'meant' to be surviving indefinatly.   Its not a generic 'build a fortress' game.

The problem is, if you can build tree houses and moats and weapons like pipe bobs and machine guns,  the game stops becoming about fighting for survival day to day, it just becomes about crafting complex palaces.    But when you have build a base thats relativly safe and you can survival no problem... what then?  Well, then players head to the forums and request things to DO in their fortress.  Then start requesting more items, more recipes, more building, more tools, more weapons...  and when you start pumping a game full of items just to give players something "to-do" its no longer a game about fighting for your life, or survival or horror,  its just about showing off how good you are a designing a base.

I recently bought 7days to die, and within a few days of playing that I can craft a base thats invulnerable to zombies and the only thing to do is build a nice fancy palace-like home.  The thrill and danger is not there.  Its just another mine-craft game.

quote:

I recently bought 7days to die, and within a few days of playing that I can craft a base thats invulnerable to zombies and the only thing to do is build a nice fancy palace-like home.  The thrill and danger is not there.  Its just another mine-craft game.

unquote

i also know / have 7DTD

and know exactly waht you mean. I am not a dev but I think te balancing act is probably the hardest part of game design.

its just that we can already built cool stuff, and we get more but stuff thatreally coud help to survive in dealing with the zeds 

seems to be way harder to implement. I don´t necessarily need better guns and weapons, but I want ways to make tactically dealing with the horde

and even bigger hordes possible by outthinking them rather than running away , holing up or dying. 

its the only advantage we have against them.. 

Project Zomboid could benefit from having dogs that chase you around and maul you to death however. Adding explosives to the game asks the question what would it do to nearby objects so I would try to put suggestions like that on hold until another time considering it might involve remaking a lot of the map to deal with explosion textures and everything involved with it.

If you are looking for a distraction just shoot your gun, every zombie in the neighborhood is now on the way to that point and now that zombie moans attract zombies they'll probably all follow you into the next neighborhood before your roundabout.

Project Zomboid could benefit from having dogs that chase you around and maul you to death however. Adding explosives to the game asks the question what would it do to nearby objects so I would try to put suggestions like that on hold until another time considering it might involve remaking a lot of the map to deal with explosion textures and everything involved with it.

If you are looking for a distraction just shoot your gun, every zombie in the neighborhood is now on the way to that point and now that zombie moans attract zombies they'll probably all follow you into the next neighborhood before your roundabout.

yeah ok. but what about putting up noise traps to make the zeds going somewhere else ?

heck, even a thrown rock would probably make then turn and look / walk over and see whats happening

That is exactly what you are doing, except instead of throwing a rock you are the rock and you just handle it in a round about way. I mean throwing a rock would be cool but all you'd do is activate the zombies and then they'd hear or see you and just change and go after you because after you throw the rock it generates about 0 additional draw from the zombies while the guy wandering in the bush is making lots of noise.

I can see why you want to draw them out, but due to the way the game works you can't sneak past active zombies. You are just going to activate them all and draw them in a less then favorable way, it would be better to just full round about but to each their own.

I suppose, it could be added and it could be really cool to plant then in someone's base and then setting it off and then when they go to disable it you pop out of their bathroom door with a shotgun in super mega ambush mode.

As for zombie memory, a zombie when I think about them, is if they see you they follow, and won't ever stop toward their target. As long as your in visual the zombies should continue to follow until their line of sight is broken. I you escape though a house or trees, then they follow until they can't find you, then and only then should they go back to their usual business,(wandering around & breaking stuff) so far in the game when Zeds see you they follow, but there memory is short. I'm excited though I haven't had to play the latest build yet .7 I believe it is.

As lately my friend and i have been playing quite a while of split-screen now, be have survived around 26 days without carpentery so no rain barrels, only log walls, we have mostly ran out of toilet water and we have around 4 bottles of water left, so we need to get carpentery ASAP, but with only 2 hammers (one almost broken) and around 15 nails, i dont think we can do it.

So we built this heist to open the hardware store and have enough time to loot whatever we need to get going on the life of a carpenter. here is our layout plan we have:

hue.png

Either one of us dies for the greater good, or we become woodsman.

instead of chopping the back door down, try going in thru the Food Market, out the back door and in to the hardware store that way. then you will have at least 2 doors between the looter and the zombies....unless the zombies already broke the front window of the hardware store. just be sure to close every door behind you, for safety.

I LIKE IT A LOT

couldnt agree more.

True SoD falls short on base building and true survival (no trapping fishing and gathering ) and is also limited in map size. It focuses more on combat and resources. PZ is awesome with it's base building, survival and map size but lacks in combat. I love both games :) 

But sadly I died in my game last night at 5 months 24 days and 6 hours lol on the upside I killed 2619 zombies before they got me

i like the HEIST.

i think when grouped the game experience is significantly increased, because then you can actually implement real survival tactics.

oh : books are usually the  3rd thing I take care of.

1st: tools / axes / nails (happy with nails & hammer, everythign else is bonus)

2nd: safe house

3rd: books

I adapted my playstyle and make way more use of sheet ropes. It´s also a great diversion tactic. lure zombies to a house where you have several sheet rope escape routes prepared. 

also one barricaded room only reachable via sheet rope is a great pitstop for longer trips

I am not a dev but I think te balancing act is probably the hardest part of game design.

Yes, I think this is the key!  and I'm sure with 7d2d there is still plenty of balancing work to be done.

I just feel that 'construction' should be something that is 'really' expensive taking a lot of time. not only expensive but requires maintenance or it will fall apart.

All food items currently have some kind of 'rotting' timer,  so I dont feel that that there is any reason why wooden walls, doors, water barrels, barracades.. and whatever else you want, could also have a 'rot' timer.   After all, these arnt proffesionally manufactured and properly treated planks of wood machined to precision.   Weathering, poor foundations and workmanship along with constant zombie bashing should mean that they only really provide temporary security.

instead of chopping the back door down, try going in thru the Food Market, out the back door and in to the hardware store that way. then you will have at least 2 doors between the looter and the zombies....unless the zombies already broke the front window of the hardware store. just be sure to close every door behind you, for safety.

We thought that the Hardware store was the one with the flags, we didnt knew it was the one between the Food Market and the books one, my friend got scratched from the massvie horde that was made by a single pistol shot and i got magazines for days to come.

I wonder if there is a way to not get glass loged into your forearm, i swear out of the two, i am always the one who gets that glass into the arm.

Archived