Trains

XRiZUX

I think it would be cool if there were active trains in the game, that travel on the railroad. And you could jump onto and hang onto the train while it's moving. Maybe even take over the train, maybe the train has no driver. When the train reaches the end of the map the train would continue going although the character would be dropped off.

Yeah? Sounds good right?  (fedora)

I think there should be a train but it should either be stationary or broke and you can repair it. Either it should be for raiding things like coal for fuel as well as some much needed supplies and tools or a vehicle. It could be on the rails or it could be tipped over near the rails. I like the idea of movement but i think it is to over powered. also if it was added just make it be for the whistle at least to attract zombies or for ascetic or an achievement.

I like that idea King, that would be nice as well. But movement is what I would like to see on the railroads though, I don't think it is over powered as long as it's not much faster than sprinting. Which reminds me, I think we should at least be able to build handcars if there are no functional trains around to use on the railroads.

sheffield_handcar_drawing.jpg

Handcars are a 2 man(or woman) driven vehicle used on the railroad, it can also be used by one man, but that would mean slower movement. And, to add onto that, I think we should be able to add containers on any end of the handcar so that we could move more stuff from one location on the map to another with more ease.

I want a train that you could drive if you repair it. It would be super loud and eventually break down permanently. That's fair. Also, just imagine NPCs fixing this and then seeing them drive by and your like dafuaq? :)

I like that idea King, that would be nice as well. But movement is what I would like to see on the railroads though, I don't think it is over powered as long as it's not much faster than sprinting. Which reminds me, I think we should at least be able to build handcars if there are no functional trains around to use on the railroads.

Handcars are a 2 man(or woman) driven vehicle used on the railroad, it can also be used by one man, but that would mean slower movement. And, to add onto that, I think we should be able to add containers on any end of the handcar so that we could move more stuff from one location on the map to another with more ease.

I also like this idea too!

I want a train that you could drive if you repair it. It would be super loud and eventually break down permanently. That's fair. Also, just imagine NPCs fixing this and then seeing them drive by and your like dafuaq? :)

Using a steam train or similar would probably be considered over powered though, as it would realistically have a lot more speed than a handcar does. I don't oppose using steam trains though, I think that would be cool, as long as it takes a lot of effort to repair/build one. But since the game is supposed to be hard, then maybe handcars are the only viable transport for the railroads. At least I think that handcars would work perfectly for the game's atmosphere.

Using a steam train or similar would probably be considered over powered though, as it would realistically have a lot more speed than a handcar does. I don't oppose using steam trains though, I think that would be cool, as long as it takes a lot of effort to repair/build one. But since the game is supposed to be hard, then maybe handcars are the only viable transport for the railroads. At least I think that handcars would work perfectly for the game's atmosphere.

Yeah, we at least need handcars!

I think that they could add a place away from the towns leading to a small town that has a train museum that holds parts for these trains and if you take them and go to another train yard on the other side of the map with the steam engine that would be fair. If you have to haul about 10-30 heavy parts for a train about 100-500 miles across the map it cant be to overpowered. then you need fuel and water for the steam engine for it to work so you need a ton of stuff for what seems like a at best decent movement system. That or a cool yard decoration. It is balanced and it makes it fair. Plus a new small town with new shops. It cant be a horrible idea.

But does anyone here know how to operate a train or know anyone who does. It's not really your everyday profession and at least here in finland there's a 9 month education behind it. The guys are engineers. And also driving a coal train isn't a one man job.

I find this quite implausable to be implemented. It would be pretty cool and all, but it just doesn't really make sense that anyone could operate a train without proper training. And I don't think that it adds that much compared to the dev time if it would be just limited to a single profession.

Hand cars are also quite rare in this day and age and are more often found in museums than in railroad tracks...

And last, there are already stationary trains: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.45678712860810167,0.25612535061310493,151.98124986975643

But does anyone here know how to operate a train or know anyone who does. It's not really your everyday profession and at least here in finland there's a 9 month education behind it. The guys are engineers. And also driving a coal train isn't a one man job.

I find this quite implausable to be implemented. It would be pretty cool and all, but it just doesn't really make sense that anyone could operate a train without proper training. And I don't think that it adds that much compared to the dev time if it would be just limited to a single profession.

Hand cars are also quite rare in this day and age and are more often found in museums than in railroad tracks...

And last, there are already stationary trains: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.45678712860810167,0.25612535061310493,151.98124986975643

Great idea, let's make the player go through proper training to become a professional train driver... /irony

It's probably not likely that drivable trains would be added to this game, but I think that some sort of train would be nice to see anyways on the railroads, maybe driven by a NPC or something, at least that was the first thought I had when making the thread.

Handcars are probably rare today, but they would be very useful in a apocalyptic atmosphere, considering there are railroads around that can be used for transporting supplies needed for a longer survival. I would see it as likely that someone would start using the railroads for transportation at some point during a zombie invasion.

It's my understanding that they don't use handcars anymore... any time I've seen a non-train vehicle on the tracks it's a modified pickup truck, that's how they do maintenance runs (at least where I live). The trucks have the proper equipment to run on train tracks specifically, rather than tires.

Once vehicles are implemented it's definitely something I'd like to see, although I think you'd only be able to find it at the rail yard :P

They do have trucks that do that but typically they have some sort of add-on to the rims/tires. Then the trucks use cranes to be set onto tracks a good 520-60% of the time. Others can just drive up or stay on the track. Trains for me would not be useful as cars because the trains may be able to carry more but only through certain points and the main thing that would make it useful was a town that was either train of foot access only. Then that would make the train useful or more useful to me anyway. I like the idea of it but it doesn't seem extremely useful to me. My opinions anyway. best of luck.