New Trait Idea!

Bennytheowl

I was having fun gunning zombies down and noticed my character was bored/depressed and suddenly an idea hit me.

There could be a new trait called the psycho trait! With this killing zombies and surviors would relieve your characters bordem and make them happy because they love seeing blood and suffering! Of course there could be a downside that books and newspapers just don't cut it when it comes to making him/her happy.

EDIT:

I'm not using the word "psycho" to describe psychopathy. If it's a problem then just call it the "Bloodlust" trait.

First, to make it clear, there's also no such disease or disorder as "psycopathy", it's rather a concept. Also psycopathy doesn't make anyone happier when they kill... It deprives them of empathy, remorse etc. and it may appear as bolder than regular behaviour. Psycopaths are basically socially/emotionally extremely deviant. A psycopath isn't a mindless killer. That's just what the movies say to make you think "Ooh that guy's so evil, because he's a psycopath, he must like killing." It doesn't really work that way.

Sure a psycopath trait might be nice, if it had some slightly more realistic effects like dullness towards something like killing zombies, NPCs. Or perhaps not caring for emotions in a story type situation, but usually it's better if that sort of things are left to the player him/herself to imagine rather than artificially try to simulate it. And there really are no emotional repercussions in killing so you could do that in your head already.

And btw zombie killing already reduces boredomness, so who's to say you're not playing a psycopath already...

First, to make it clear, there's also no such disease or disorder as "psycopathy", it's rather a concept. Also psycopathy doesn't make anyone happier when they kill... It deprives them of empathy, remorse etc. and it may appear as bolder than regular behaviour. Psycopaths are basically socially/emotionally extremely deviant. A psycopath isn't a mindless killer. That's just what the movies say to make you think "Ooh that guy's so evil, because he's a psycopath, he must like killing." It doesn't really work that way.

Sure a psycopath trait might be nice, if it had some slightly more realistic effects like dullness towards something like killing zombies, NPCs. Or perhaps not caring for emotions in a story type situation, but usually it's better if that sort of things are left to the player him/herself to imagine rather than artificially try to simulate it. And there really are no emotional repercussions in killing so you could do that in your head already.

And btw zombie killing already reduces boredomness, so who's to say you're not playing a psycopath already...

I'm already fully aware of what psychopathy is having took a major interest in it years ago.. You're taking it too seriously, it's just a video game. People use the term "psycho" to describe crazy people who have an extreme bloodlust such as serial killers, and that is the way I was using the word...

Not all claustrophobics panic as soon as they enter the indoors but that's what the perk does in this game.

And it honestly wouldn't even have to take away your bordem, it could give you some other kind of  positive bonus. I hear they're going to be adding some kind fo sanity meter soon so prehaps it could have some sort of effect on that. Like the player won't lose any sanity from being around corpses or commiting straight up murder.

Needless to say a lot of serial killers are psychopaths/sociopaths because their lack of empathy allows them to commit such horrible crimes to get ahead and one of the traits these kinds of people have is acting on impusle and not thinking too hard about the consequences.. that's why it would make a good survival murderer, they kill other survivers without thinking about the long term impact of being alone with nobody to look out for them! thus why I think it could be a good  trait to add to the game! :D

Of course not all psychopaths are like that but not all consturcion workers have thick skin. You can only make sense to a certain extent in a video game, and if people are VERY picky then it could just be called the "Bloodlust" trait instead.

TL;DR version: I know what psychopathy is, I wasn't using the word to describe the "personality disorder" psychopathy. Could be integrated into the sanity update i've heard about and could be renamed the "bloodlust" trait

Funny thing, this thread reminded me an article named something like "poticians are more likely to be psychopaths".

Dealing with zombies should remove boredom to any survivor, as you shouldn't be bored when you are scared. This shouldn't be affected by any trait. But the happy/depressed mood could be affected in some way if you are some kind of "bloodthirsty" person, but i don't see how adding a downside could be in the same trait with the point system. With the current system, i would probably see it better in 2 different traits (one for being happy by killing and another one for removing happiness boost for "common things")

Funny thing, this thread reminded me an article named something like "poticians are more likely to be psychopaths".

Dealing with zombies should remove boredom to any survivor, as you shouldn't be bored when you are scared. This shouldn't be affected by any trait. But the happy/depressed mood could be affected in some way if you are some kind of "bloodthirsty" person, but i don't see how adding a downside could be in the same trait with the point system. With the current system, i would probably see it better in 2 different traits (one for being happy by killing and another one for removing happiness boost for "common things")

Lol, I was going to make an "Chartered Accountant" Profession and its perk would be that you don't get bored doing menial tasks :)

Edit: Though it might also be funny if you increase boredom in those around you lol.

I got a brain wave! The "thrillseeker" trait! being panicked  takes away depression : D

Of course, i'm just brain storming with the downside part, do with it as you wish :D

I got a brain wave! The "thrillseeker" trait! being panicked  takes away depression : D

Of course, i'm just brain storming with the downside part, do with it as you wish :D

This totally makes sense, though on that same token being constantly panicked should cause depression in those without the trait. Constant panic is fraying on the psyche

This totally makes sense, though on that same token being constantly panicked should cause depression in those without the trait. Constant panic is fraying on the psyche

Depression should be a bigger thing. I mean even if you read your fav books all day you'd still be miserable in a land full of zombies. Knowing that things are never gonna be how they used to be, your friends and family are all dead. and worst of all that there will never be anymore episodes of the Breaking Bad/walking dead/game of thrones.

Depression should be a bigger thing. I mean even if you read your fav books all day you'd still be miserable in a land full of zombies. Knowing that things are never gonna be how they used to be, your friends and family are all dead. and worst of all that there will never be anymore episodes of the Breaking Bad/walking dead/game of thrones.

No more project zomboid updates LOL

In all seriousness though I agree completely. Depression should go up constantly to simulate that and there can be perks that reduce the speed at which in increases. Something along the lines of "Stable Minded".

Though, that could be insulting to those who actually get depression because it assumes thay are unstable by proxy. So think of a better title for it. The negative side could be that the person has a depressive disorder.

No more project zomboid updates LOL

In all seriousness though I agree completely. Depression should go up constantly to simulate that and there can be perks that reduce the speed at which in increases. Something along the lines of "Stable Minded".

Though, that could be insulting to those who actually get depression because it assumes thay are unstable by proxy. So think of a better title for it. The negative side could be that the person has a depressive disorder.

Good idea, although I don't think it'd have to worry about offending anyone. I mean not all claustrophobics shake like a leaf when they go indoors but this game begs to differ.....I feel like some people enjoy being offended so they can complain. Kinda relates back to the psychopath thing Suomiboi was talking about earlier, you've always gotta watch what you say or somebody will find a way to read between the lines, if you can call it that lol... Maybe they could be called "Will of steel" and "Prone to misery"

**clipped**

Good idea, although I don't think it'd have to worry about offending anyone. I mean not all claustrophobics shake like a leaf when they go indoors but this game begs to differ.....I feel like some people enjoy being offended so they can complain. Kinda relates back to the psychopath thing Suomiboi was talking about earlier, you've always gotta watch what you say or somebody will find a way to read between the lines, if you can call it that lol... Maybe they could be called "Will of steel" and "Prone to misery"

Good points all! If they don't make it happen in the base game we can make it a mod...