Foraging Findings

Moose65

awesome post! 

I know they have nerfed the drop rates in the recent patch, but as much as I like the game-play factor of foraging it does make it possible to survive 'forever' food which never spoils and is theoretically infinate in supply feels a bit off to me :/

so while it would be great to flesh out this game feature more I'd be more inclinded to make it more difficult and possibly require tools and digging implements.

Personally I would at least have violets and berries lootable only at level 1, possibly level 2 and shift them all up so that levels 3,4 & 5 are more rewarding.

But thats me!  I dont like it when things are too easy :)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing some of it bumped up (and something at least added to level 5). You already open up fishing at level 0, and I would REALLY like to see something that opens up basic trapping at some point (like the ability to build a stick trap with foraged materials).

The developers do listen though, as while it was NOT listed in the patch notes, you can now build a campfire kit from foraged materials (it now takes 2 logs instead of planks, and you can use twigs as a replacement for the other materials).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool tips, thanks for posting! Just wanted to point out that you can get a lot of information about foraging from looking in the game files (I'd recommend using Notepad++). ProjectZomboid\media\lua\server\Farming\ScavengeDefinition.lua specifically has lots of info about what can be foraged at a certain skill level, and stats / recipes for items can be found in various .txt files in the media\scripts folder.

Cool tips, thanks for posting! Just wanted to point out that you can get a lot of information about foraging from looking in the game files (I'd recommend using Notepad++). ProjectZomboid\media\lua\server\Farming\ScavengeDefinition.lua specifically has lots of info about what can be foraged at a certain skill level, and stats / recipes for items can be found in various .txt files in the media\scripts folder.

Thanks, I actually did use that though when I did the re-vamp (cause grinding foraging again without skill books is a complete pain). That's how I found out the cockroach was bugged.

I just have one question Moose. Since getting levels 4 and 5 is so hard why not just go to sandbox and put the xp multiplier to 48306234348 or some other stupid large number?

When I first started this post back in October, we didn't have the luxury of advanced sandbox settings (hence my numerous complaints on no skill books and the disappointing later tiers of foraging). Now, when I want to test stuff its what I do. But yeah, I grinded to 5 originally the hard way, and was VERY disappointed then with level 5 foraging.

However, the developers have done some nice stuff with it, like allowing campfires now to be made without the assistance of a saw (or doing something dumb like knocking down some doors). Only other thing on my wish list for foraging (besides a nice bonus at 5) is that it can somehow tie in basic trapping, similar to how it allows the most basic level of fishing.

Oh, and some of those mushrooms DEFIANTLY need to eventually be poisonous =/

Oh, well that makes sense now. Since a few days ago I hadn't been able to play in six months and am still looking through patch notes. I really appreciate the guide aswell, do you mind if I use it to edit the wiki?

Sure. I noticed the wiki was outdated and a bit incorrect on some of the foraging info anyways.

Hi! I just got to the level where I can scavenge mushrooms, but I can't add them to any cooking recipe... Does it only work on bowls? 

Unless something was changed in a recent build, mushrooms can be used to create salads (require bowls), roasted vegetables (requires frying pan), soup (requires pot of water), and stew (requires pot of water). The only thing they cannot be used in at the moment is stir fry, which is a bit odd.

Hi! I just got to the level where I can scavenge mushrooms, but I can't add them to any cooking recipe... Does it only work on bowls? 

Unless something was changed in a recent build, mushrooms can be used to create salads (require bowls), roasted vegetables (requires frying pan), soup (requires pot of water), and stew (requires pot of water). The only thing they cannot be used in at the moment is stir fry, which is a bit odd.

Yeah, it's odd; I tried to add it to both a bowl and pot with water, but with no results, I could add other vegetables, but not mushrooms.

Yeah, it's odd; I tried to add it to both a bowl and pot with water, but with no results, I could add other vegetables, but not mushrooms.

Are you playing on the stable or IWBUMS branch? If your not on the IWBUMS branch than this is why you can't do this. I'll start flagging specific changes as IWBUMS to avoid future confusion like this.

O.o I really don't know.

Then your playing on the stable branch. IWBUMS is the testing branch, and the mushroom recipe is a change that is in the testing branch.

Sorry for the confusion again, going back to flag those as IWBUMS.

Edit: Updated guide, and a section was added to the FAQ explaining the (IWBUMS Only) tags.