Foraging Findings

Moose65

Level 0

Berries_red.png Berry, -1 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Berries_yellow.png Berry, -1 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Berries_orange.png Berry, -2 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Violets.png Violets, -1 Hunger, doesn't rot. Weight: 0.1

Treebranch.png Tree Branch, Used to craft Stone Hammers, Stone Axes, Wooden Spears, and Splints. Is a replacement for a Sturdy Stick for starting fires. Also used for campfire fuel. Weight: 0.2

Chipped_Stone.png Chipped Stone, Used to Craft Stone Axes. Can also be used to make a Notched Plank with a log, and for crafting Wooden Spears (you keep it in both cases). Weight: 0.3

Stone.png Stone, Used to make Stone Hammers. Weight: 0.3

Twigs.png Twigs, Used to craft a Campfire Kit with Logs. Also used for campfire fuel. Weight: 0.2

Level 1

Nothing.....

Level 2

Blackberries.png Berry, -2 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Blueberries.png Berry, -2 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Berries_blue.png Berry, - 2 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

Berries_purple.png Berry, -2 Hunger, will rot. Can be used for Cake Filling. Also, as of now, each variation of "Berry" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in Cakes. 6 Day Lifespan. Weight: 0.2

POISONBerries.png Poisonous Berry! DO NOT EAT! Can be added to cooking recipes as poison (after a minimum of 3 ingredients), will rot. Poison Power: 5 (30 kills a Healthy person). Detection Level: 1 (Very low chance to detect, will add in formula once I figure out a clean way to post it). Weight: 0.2

Grape_Leaves.png Grape Leaves, -2 Hunger. Doesn't rot. Weight: 0.1

BAITWorm.png Worm, -5 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness, Doesn't rot. Can be used for fishing and trapping birds. Was previously found only during the rain, but build 30.13 (un)intentionally changed it? Weight: 0.1

Level 3

Nothing.....

Level 4

Item_MushroomGeneric1.png Mushroom, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_MushroomGeneric2.png Mushroom, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_MushroomGeneric4.png Mushroom, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_MushroomGeneric6.png Mushroom, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_MushroomGeneric7.png Mushroom, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_Rosehips.png Rosehips, -3 Hunger, doesn't rot. Weight: 0.1

Item_Cricket.png Cricket, -6 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness, doesn't rot. Can be cooked for -7 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness. Can also be used as fishing bait. Weight: 0.1

Level 5

Nothing.....

Level 6

Item_MushroomGeneric3.png Mushroom, -4 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_MushroomGeneric5.png Mushroom, -4 Hunger, doesn't rot. Can be used in Soup, Stew, Roasted Vegetables, Pies, Sandwiches and Salads. Currently cannot be used in Stir Fry and Burgers. Also, as of now, each variation of "Mushroom" counts as a new and separate ingredient for bonuses in cooking. Fresh for 2 days, rotten in 3 days. Weight: 0.2

Item_Grasshopper.png Grasshopper, -7 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness, doesn't rot. Can be cooked for -9 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness. Can also be used as fishing bait. Weight: 0.1

Item_Cockroach.png Cockroach, -9 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness, doesn't rot. Can be cooked for -11 Hunger, +20 Unhappiness. Can also be used as fishing bait. Weight: 0.1

Logs.png Logs, Used to craft the Campfire Kit (with Twigs), Notched Board, Log Walls, and Planks. Also used for campfire fuel. Weight: 9

Level 7

Item_Frog.png Frog - Not edible or perishable until cut. Weighs 0.4 in this state. Requires kitchen or Hunting Knife to cut into frog meat. Frog meat is fresh for 4 days, rotten in 8 days. Restores 15 Hunger uncooked, 19 cooked, and weights 0.2 in this form.

Level 8

Item_WildEggs.png Wild Eggs, -10 Hunger, MUST BE COOKED! Cooked gives -13 Hunger. Also, doesn't rot. Weight: 0.1

Level 9

Nothing.....

Level 10

Nothing.....

Professions and Traits Related to Foraging

If you don't take a profession or trait related to foraging, you will start with level 0 in it and have a permanent 25% XP multiplier penalty. The starting multiplier will not ever change, even if you level up the skill.  The following professions and traits will help you to avoid this. Starting with level 1 is a 75% multiplier, 2 is a 100% multiplier, and 3 or higher is a 125% multiplier.

Professions

Park Ranger - Starts with level 2 in foraging. Costs 4 points. Also comes with level 2 Trapping and level 1 Carpentry.

Fishermen - Starts with level 1 in foraging. Costs 2 points. Also comes with level 3 Fishing.

Traits

Hiker - Starts with level 1 in foraging. Costs 6. Also comes with level 1 Trapping.

Former Scout - Starts with level 1 in foraging. Costs 6. Also comes with level 1 First Aid.

Fast Learner - Provides a 1.3x multiplier bonus to XP gains. Costs 6 points.

Currently, Professions and traits skill bonuses do stack. The max foraging you can start with is 4 with Park Ranger, Former Scout, and Hiker.

Crafted Items from Foraging

Campfire Kit: Log x 2 (consumed) + Twigs (consumed). Used to place campfires for cooking, warmth, and zombie BBQs.

Log Wall: Log x 4 (consumed) + Ripped Sheets x 4 (consumed). One of the strongest walls in game, saves your precious nails.

Notched Wooden Plank: Chipped Stone (keep) + Log  (consumed). Used with a Tree Branch to start a fire.

Splint: Tree Branch (consumed) + Ripped Sheets (consumed). Used to heal fractures.

Stone Axe: Chipped Stone (consumed) + Tree Branch (consumed) + Ripped Sheets (consumed). A low durability Axe.

Stone Hammer: Stone (consumed) + Tree Branch (consumed) + Ripped Sheets (consumed). A low durability Hammer.

Wooden Spear: Chipped Stone (keep) + Tree Branch (consumed). Used for fishing and as a weak weapon.

Winter Foraging

During the Winter (defined as November to February in game), ALL foraging items are disabled except for Stones, Chipped Stones, Twigs, Tree Branches, and Logs.

FAQ

Can Wild Eggs be used as a substitute in the Cake Batter recipe?

No.

I randomly died for no reason. What happened?

Odds are you were a victim to the Poison Berry. Its claimed quite a few people since they as of now stack with all other berries and unless you know before hand, there is no way to tell which one is poisonous outside of messing with cooking.

I can't do X thing with foraging?

I've gone back and flagged some items as (IWBUMS Only). Anything following this text means it is a change only available on the testing branch and is not yet on the current stable release.

Why did you only list one way of crafting certain items?

While there may be multiple ways to craft an item (such as the notched plank and campfire kit), I listed the most relevant way if you mainly focus on foraging.

I'm not seeing bonus XP from Fast Learner?

Fast learner is a 1.3x Multiplier. Most items foraged give roughly between 1 and 3 XP. As you can tell, .3 of 1 is .3, so it would take at least 4 forage successes (if their all 1 XP) to grant you 1 bonus XP. Helps in the long run, isn't noticeable though if your watching it.

I found a frog and I can't eat it! HELP!

Frogs can not be eaten or cooked until cut unlike other animals. This will require a Kitchen Knife or a Hunting Knife, a Chipped Stone will not suffice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the color of the berries is restricted to certain levels, because before level 1 I didn't find any blue or white berries, and now I'm finding some. I think at level 0 you only find red and yellow.

Anyway, good job with the guide!

I think the color of the berries is restricted to certain levels, because before level 1 I didn't find any blue or white berries, and now I'm finding some. I think at level 0 you only find red and yellow.

Anyway, good job with the guide!

Yeah, I noticed at a certain point some berries did -2 hunger instead of -1, but since ALL berries stack together (including poisonous ones) I stopped eating them and just made a trash pile of them outside my base. Too much trouble to try to separate them.

I'm curious to know what you find with Foraging level 4 and 5! Do post if you get there :)

Without skill books its not really practical. I had to grind for quite a few (real) days just to reach 3, since you get about 42~80 points a (in-game) day max. (I only forage in the woods near my safehouse).

So I decided to bite the bullet and do the grind to level 4 and I must say....... I was a little bit disappointed with the results.

First, there is only one new item at level 4 instead of 2 that I was able to find (I grinded another 1k+ Foraging XP to try to make sure it wasn't just bad luck I wasn't seeing a second new one). On top of that, its one that MUST be cooked, and is only about 4 more hunger than a cooked grasshopper (granted, it doesn't cause the unhappiness that a cooked grasshopper does).

It simply didn't seem that rewarding compared to what level 3 offered. When I found out level 3 granted you the ability to occasionally find logs, saving precious durability on your axes, I was amazed. When I grinded out the awful amount of XP to get level 4 only to find out there was only 1 new item and it had to be cooked, doesn't really encourage me to continue on to level 5 :(

Does the item for level 4 work as a replacement for such items in cooking recipes? For example, could you make cake batter with it?

I honestly haven't tried. What does it take to make cake batter?

Edit: Looked up what it takes to make cake batter, and I don't have any butter to try. Honestly though it wouldn't matter much since all your milk will have gone rotten by the time you reach level 4 foraging. So unless level 5 lets you find wild goat milk or something I doubt its very useful for making cakes.

Very nice man! Good job getting to Level 4. I'm myself just on level 3. I think I'm gonna try grind all the way up to level 5.

Yeah, 4 was really disappointing to be honest. I don't have any incentive to get to 5, but if you do go ahead and post it.

I think if the logs were switched with the wild eggs it would have felt more rewarding, assuming that level 5 would have something better than logs.

Well, it was reported as an error when I got it, but I had a mod on that was being finicky about some of the foraging items, so I thought that was the problem and would be obtainable under normal circumstances.

The DOS readout was implying it was trying to put a Worm in my inventory, though, but was unable.

Well, it was reported as an error when I got it, but I had a mod on that was being finicky about some of the foraging items, so I thought that was the problem and would be obtainable under normal circumstances.

The DOS readout was implying it was trying to put a Worm in my inventory, though, but was unable.

Yeah, its incorrectly labeled, I already reported it as a bug that will probably be fixed soon, its not your mods causing it.

I do like the flavor that you only find worms when its raining, I must say its a really nice touch.

Well, decided to finish the grind to level 5.......but before I say anything, first, a screenshot of the carnage.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329727458

Ok, so after spending hours grinding to 5, and then grinding another 1k Foraging XP, there is.....absolutely nothing new at 5. I didn't think 4 could be worst, but I was wrong. I'm almost positive that level 4 and 5 are unfinished at this point.

So, here is my last bit of feedback after doing the grind to level 5. First, I want to start with the positive things.

Love the fact that it enables basic fishing.

Discovering new items was exciting.

Allowed you to get some cooking experience.

Allows you to gather all the required components to start a fire.

Could gather some non-perishable food (although I'm sure a lot of it needs to be perishable).

Now, for the things I didn't so much enjoy.........

Holy crap the XP required for this. Why are there no books for this? Survival guides would make sense to teach you what to look for in the wilderness. After leveling the new nerfed Trapping XP with skillbooks I was just wishing for a skillbook at least for this skill. If one is not already planned for this, please reconsider or dramatically lower the xp.

My yard. It's completely demolished with more rocks, sticks, logs, berries, and mushrooms then I could ever use in a lifetime. We need a way to clean up clutter like that, perhaps a destroy item command.

Level 4 and 5 Foraging. I hope their incomplete at the moment, but they were massive letdowns. Getting logs at level 3 is just amazing for so many reasons, so perhaps they need to be placed higher up in the skill levels. While wild eggs were a nice food source (and probably broken since they don't rot), they simply weren't as exciting as logs.

Lastly, things I hope to see in the future.....

A way to forage for all the materials required for a campfire kit. While I can make a notched board with the logs you eventually find at level 3 with a chipped stone, and the fact that a tree branch replaces a sturdy stick, I can light all the fires I want, but I couldn't find any combination of foraged items that would allow me to make a campfire kit. Perhaps allow notched boards + twigs to be used as a substitute in the future for building campfire kits?

A way to tie in trapping. It seems natural that foraging could enable trapping, whether its a new (and very bad trap like the wooden spear is for fishing) or a substitute for the parts needed to make a stick trap (tough vines + tree branches come to mind) would be a great addition to foraging, allowing you to really go out on your own. Of course what you make will be inferior without scavenged goods from the city, but it would be a nice way to skill up if you decide to live in the woods or on looted servers. Also, being able to use some of the things we find for bait in traps would be nice, as I'm sure rabbits and/or squirrels would be eating the same berries we find (assuming were not putting poisonous ones in the trap). Of course they would have lower success rates then their "favored" baits.

Sorry for the long read, but I really look forward to seeing foraging fleshed out a bit more, especially after doing the tedious grind to 5. There's several things that probably need to be nerfed, like most of the food not rotting, but all in all it had some nice perks, I would like to see it allowing you to be a little more self sufficient. Right now the saw is mandatory for making a campfire kit (ok, you could probably make a stone axe and chop down a door, but thats a bit silly) and for making even the most basic trap. Having a substitute through foraging would complete the wilderness experience :D

Edit: Realized last sentence is a bit unclear. Defiantly do not want a saw substitute, as that would be quite a bit overpowered. I would rather see some new and/or old foragable items being able to be used as replacements in some recipes like the campfire kit and some kind of basic trap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated for 30.13 (Winter Foraging and new Mushroom use).

Another big surprise, twigs can now be used as a replacement component for making Campfire Kits.

Worms no longer have a raining requirement to be found (bug?)

Edit: To-Do list:

Exact info on Berries and what level their obtained

Exact info on Mushrooms and what level their obtained

Items that are not currently enabled yet.

awesome post! 

I know they have nerfed the drop rates in the recent patch, but as much as I like the game-play factor of foraging it does make it possible to survive 'forever' food which never spoils and is theoretically infinate in supply feels a bit off to me :/

so while it would be great to flesh out this game feature more I'd be more inclinded to make it more difficult and possibly require tools and digging implements.

Personally I would at least have violets and berries lootable only at level 1, possibly level 2 and shift them all up so that levels 3,4 & 5 are more rewarding.

But thats me!  I dont like it when things are too easy :)