Exterior and Storm Shutters...

Vonholtz

A lot of the homes in the game already have shutters on them like this one below. They do nothing but add to the look of the home. Now what if they were use able. Some time the shutters are wood or metal and yes it make them a good zombie defense. It is a good and fast safe house defense when you do not have the tools to barricade up the windows. Now when you have the tools to barricade up the windows it make the windows even stronger and why not, enough zed;s will still get in no mater how good the defense is after all. It just buy you more time.

It will also think you can craft shutters let you make better and better ones as your skill goes up. All of this is to give you the time to try and stay alive.

screenshot_23-09-2014_23-02-32.png

I know there are a lot of different types of shutters from wood and metal as well as roll up. Not sure how over powering this could be but I am sure balance can be worked out on them.

Quite a few homes have decorative shutters too, that cannot be shut or closed over the window. They are often distinguishable like the ones in the screenshot you posted, where the combined width of the shutters doesn't look like it could cover the window if they were closed. Usually they're just screwed to the outside of the house, and at best might be able to be detached and nailed across the window in case of a zombie apocalypse.

I personally don't know whether the Devs intended the shutters on houses in the game to ever be functional or not, or what the ratio of houses with working storm shutters is in real-life Kentucky. While the idea of being able to easily shutter, and unshutter your windows in-game seems a little overpowered, I suppose there's still always doors with windows, and glass ranch sliders to consider.

I travel a lot and work in a lot of peoples houses as part of my job and I don't think I've ever seen actual, non-decorative shutters. The majority of the ones I've seen have almost always just been the cheap, plastic decorative kind that are just there to be pretty.

Do not get me wrong first off I do not live in Kentucky so I do not know what there weather or the types of storms they get. And I am not saying they be on all homes with shutters. It could be random or even a set few homes. This could make some homes more use as a safe house. I know homes some place most use storm shutters as well Exterior ones. other wise why can I buy them on line. I am sure the biggest number of the shutters you will find are the fake kind. But homes on the out reaches of the towns will more likely have close able shutters.

Also making them as a craft able item for higher skilled carpentry. Just because a home dose not have them why would someone who can build walls not add the best defense to there safe house as they can.

I have storm shutters, but I can't use them, because well, they're fake.

But really I find no use for them, because most storms that pass by are pretty safe. Besides the casual rainstorm, there are, rarely, left-over hurricanes blastin' first and asking questions second. And, the god almighty, once in a while, ​TORNADO! I've even been under one, when that bad boy hit Newburgh. It's strange, because every car in the parking lot had been flipped or damaged, except for mine...

(Lucky, huh?)

Lets start a group and chase a tornado. Then we can hog-tie it, gut it, and have a nice cook out!  ;) 

• 8 years later...