Lol taking ppl hostage will be in the game?

miked79

If it happens, I can't wait; it's going to be the BEST feature added in the game! Better than NPC's

Think about the features, hand-cuffing a player then forcing them to eat a rotten banana and force drink Mountain Dew all the time!

Otherwise known as completely unfun for the other player. Heck, if that happened to me I'd just log out and play as a different character on another server or step away and let my character starve to death if they're relatively new. Then I'd come back later with a new survivor and lead a horde to their base. Or have my friend come online and lead a horde to their base while I'm still captive.

Forcibly restraining a character is something that would only appeal to people who want to give other people a bad day. Otherwise known as trolls. There's no other way to do it without making the game unfun. If you implement the ability to restrain someone against their will, then you've made a bad game experience for the person whose character is restrained. If that happens, then they're not playing a game anymore. They're watching other people play their game. And since you're more likely to be taken captive by a troll (since, as I've mentioned before, this is the kind of feature that would appeal to trolls) they're less likely to do it for roleplaying purposes and more likely to do it just because they want to give you a bad time.

Jatta Pake wrote a good response as I was writing this. That's probably the best way to do this overall. Make the hostage situation something the hostage can choose to endorse.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find such scenarios unfun at all to be honest. I spent six hours being handcuffed to a table in SS13 and it still managed to be gripping due to the players. It *can* be unfun, but so can guns, fire, theft, luring zombies etc. etc.

What you essentially said is that you'd troll instead of playing it out. You even pointed out how features in the game can be used to make it unfun for the other player (defeating your own point). So forgive me if I disagree with your point of view.

EDIT: And just to make it clear, I believe you should always have the capacity to escape, either by tackling the person and diving through a window or secretly finding a piece of glass to cut binds. I just think that if you are going to limit features due to assholes then there are lots of other things that should be removed or never added either (Like cars driving over people without warning.)

People will always be cunts and limiting the potential of a game that is best played in smallish groups due to MMO level trolling is inane.

Edited by Viceroy

It will happen on MP with or without extra mechanics for kidnapping. So why not implement something like a "hands up" move to show that you surrender.... when you have the hands up your inventory could be an open container for the kidnapper/thief... it may save some lives^^

But not something like handcuffs or anything that forces me to watch my toon sitting somewhere for hours.

You can read this and draw your own conclusions/opinions:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3-mondoid-reposts/?p=130621

Animaniac

After moving into our new office, we had a surprise reconnection with an old friend, a guy both Binky and Lemmy worked with in our old commercial games industry days happened to be contracting at a company in the same building. And what does he do? He’s an animator! What does this mean? It means in September, when he’s free, we will be working with him to finally start getting a ton of new animations into the game. This is extremely exciting, because while Binky has the anim skillz, not only is his time split between so many things, but by his own admission he’s never going to produce the results that a full time professional 3D animator would, or as fast for that matter. We’re anticipating  getting a whole host of new character animations into the game very quickly. From sneaking, pressing against walls, crouching, more zombie walks, hostage taking, looting, backpack manipulation, we’ll suddenly be getting pretty much full time animation support at least for a few months following September. Let’s put it this way. We sent him a list with some 40-50 animations and his response was pretty much a shrug and ‘yeah that sounds cool, bring it on!’

I'll just say that it doesn't confirm anything, it's just merely used as an example.

Maybe it is an animation, but you can run any time. The risk is getting shot. Basically, and the way I think this should go down, is that you should press a button, and upon pressing, and if close enough, you'll put someone in a choke hold, but you HAVE to be behind them. But a player, who must be suicidal, can "walk out" of the animation any time by pressing one of the maneuver keys (WSAD). This could also give the option of meat-shields. :)

Or this could only be an option on NPCs. Anyways, does anybody agree? Disagree? Want to thank me? Want to hang me because you think what I said was stupid? Tell me.

And also, as it's been said, we already have a lot of features exploitable by griefers and trolls, but we also already have a way to get rid of them : White list servers.

I don't think limiting or overlooking the features with very cool potential for the sake of "fighting griefers" is the way to go. Eventually it's like giving up, giving those trolls the end word.

And about the "knock inconscious" feature, I wrote a suggestion about it a long time ago, and I do agree there should be a huge chance of killing the guy you only wanted to knock out depending on how you try to knock him out. The safest way would be a few bare handed punchs in the jaws or choke him out. Using solid/iron tools should probably requiere some immediate medical attention not to let the unconscious dude die, like only being knocked unconscious from a blunt weapon would be more like a surprise miracle than an expected result !
But considering sleeping is already a state of unconsciousness, I don't think that would be an absurd feature :)

(and maybe blindfolding, so he doesn't have a clue where you're taking him or releasing, making it harder to look for you afterward)

But not something like handcuffs or anything that forces me to watch my toon sitting somewhere for hours.

What's wrong with handcuffs ? you couldn't use your hand-slots but you could still run away, or try to talk your way out, bargain for your life, trick them if you're good with words etc...

People only see the downside of the feature because they saw how it was done in DayZ, but this is a completely different game, way more RP oriented !
Being handcuffed and escaping, or giving your group away, that would create some fkn great stories and situations.

Only reason I mentioned this was because I seen that animation that might be in the game ...Hostage Taking or what not...

Id be all for a lil set up like that. Or at least an animation to make a player put his hands up so you know there not a threat at the moment to you. I know the combat cooldown option kinda does that. Lets you know someone is bout to get nutzoid, its alot better than before when you thought you were cool with someone then you were instantly dead lol....

I just think that a few lil surrender/handcuff/bind animations could go along way in making some really cool RP stories and also stopping alot of kill on sight.

Could be as easy as sneaking up behind someone and right clicking them and if you had say a rope or barbedwire *EEK ;) you could get the option to bind them for a few mintues of ingame-time.

Id have alot of fun with it, weather im the victim or the ...i guess victor heh :)

I don't find such scenarios unfun at all to be honest. I spent six hours being handcuffed to a table in SS13 and it still managed to be gripping due to the players. It *can* be unfun, but so can guns, fire, theft, luring zombies etc. etc.

I couldn't easily find anything about how this works in Space Station 13.  I'm interested in knowing more about how this works.

I don't think limiting or overlooking the features with very cool potential for the sake of "fighting griefers" is the way to go. Eventually it's like giving up, giving those trolls the end word.

This and Viceroy's reply I find to be a bit disingenuous. If you didn't have guns, that would be removing something entirely from the game. You can't "roleplay" gunfights, especially not with zombies. You can easily roleplay hostage situations. If the framework is there for NPC's and if, as you claim you're only doing it for RP and not to troll, harass other players, then you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever using the game systems just fine without an enforced lockdown.

I think Jatta Pake's idea above was really good, nearly optimal, though I would like to tweak it a bit- it'd be better, in my opinion, if you could look into anyone's inventory if you were close enough and they were holding still. That would open up the option for stealing if you were extremely careful and quiet, and it'd be a more slick interface for robbery at gun/knife-point. In my opinion, the fewer arbitrary systems we have the better- the more multipurpose systems (or use of systems already in game) the better. This makes for an easier to understand and more intuitive game, and saves on dev time which is absolutely at a premium.

is there a knockout / unconcious system in the game right now?

No.

And I really hope there never is one . . . unless it's a realistic depiction of head trauma, rather than Deus Ex-style stunning.

Agreed. That was my least favorite feature of another zombie game. Watching a black screen is not so fun :)

This and Viceroy's reply I find to be a bit disingenuous. If you didn't have guns, that would be removing something entirely from the game. You can't "roleplay" gunfights, especially not with zombies. You can easily roleplay hostage situations. If the framework is there for NPC's and if, as you claim you're only doing it for RP and not to troll, harass other players, then you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever using the game systems just fine without an enforced lockdown.

I think Jatta Pake's idea above was really good, nearly optimal, though I would like to tweak it a bit- it'd be better, in my opinion, if you could look into anyone's inventory if you were close enough and they were holding still. That would open up the option for stealing if you were extremely careful and quiet, and it'd be a more slick interface for robbery at gun/knife-point. In my opinion, the fewer arbitrary systems we have the better- the more multipurpose systems (or use of systems already in game) the better. This makes for an easier to understand and more intuitive game, and saves on dev time which is absolutely at a premium.

Yep I agree, what I had in mind was actually pretty close to Jatta's idea but less restrictive (without the contextual menus) since it's pretty easy to RP an hostage situation ; but I think "consenting" should lead to having your hands tied [being unable to use both your hands slots = unable to equip a weapon or hit] if your kidnapper has something to tie them with, but still being free to move around. You could untie them if you forage and find a sharp rock or a piece of broken glass, or a knife etc... That would be some nice situational gameplay, looking for something to free yourself and making a run for it.

I don't think that would be an "abusive lockdown" for the player being held hostage, he'd still have plenty of choices to make and things to do, and that would actually be fun imo ;o

Jatta's idea is good but actually goes against RP at some point : letting the choice of being robbed or taken hostage to the victime doesn't make much sense, it's the guy holding the gun that imposes / tells the victim if he wants his valuable items or if he wants to take him as an hostage. Then the victim can react any way he wants : holding still and raising arms if he consents, letting himself get robbed or having his hands tied up, or running away / fighting back if he doesn't quite agree.

But It should be up to the "attacker" to either say :

"GIMME YOR VALUABLES OR I'LL SWEAR I'LL FOKEN SHOOT !"

or

"PUT YOR FOKEN HANDS BEHIND YOR FOKEN BACK, WE'RE TAKING YOU FOR A WALK."

As for the unconsciousness, I agree with EG, it should be a

realistic depiction of head trauma, rather than Deus Ex-style stunning.

But I do hope this will be in. Watching a blackscreen can be hella fun depending on the situation, it's part of a whole. I mean, if you can feint and forced to sleep out of exhaustion, I don't think being unconscious from a blow(s) to the head should be out of the picture.

What you essentially said is that you'd troll instead of playing it out. You even pointed out how features in the game can be used to make it unfun for the other player (defeating your own point). So forgive me if I disagree with your point of view.

EDIT: And just to make it clear, I believe you should always have the capacity to escape, either by tackling the person and diving through a window or secretly finding a piece of glass to cut binds. I just think that if you are going to limit features due to assholes then there are lots of other things that should be removed or never added either (Like cars driving over people without warning.)

People will always be cunts and limiting the potential of a game that is best played in smallish groups due to MMO level trolling is inane.

If I wanted to spend six hours handcuffed to a table I'd stop playing the game and go join an S&M club. So yes, if I got taken as a hostage I would consider it a deliberate attempt at trolling and turn it right back around on them. The only way I'd condone it at all is if I joined a server that has it enabled as an option (which I'd never do unless I knew the people on the server really well) or if it was never forced and I always had the option to run away and risk getting shot (which is the option I'll always take). Otherwise it'd be a waste of my time. I'm here to play a game, not have other people play it for me.

If I wanted to spend six hours handcuffed to a table I'd stop playing the game and go join an S&M club. So yes, if I got taken as a hostage I would consider it a deliberate attempt at trolling and turn it right back around on them. The only way I'd condone it at all is if I joined a server that has it enabled as an option (which I'd never do unless I knew the people on the server really well). Otherwise it'd be a waste of my time. I'm here to play a game, not have other people play it for me.

I really don't know what's your grip against it, no one ever mentionned that being taken as an hostage as being something that would make you "unable to play to the game", neither that you'd be forced to be taken hostage in any other way that you can be forced to do anything in the game as you already are right now, if the other guy threatens to shoot you.

You'd actually have to PLAY if you don't want to die, as always. I don't think you tried considering all the situations that could lead to hostage trades instead of plain and simple killings & grabbing.

Or taking a doctor hostage, forcing him to heal a member of your crew, or holding someone captive to prevent his/her crew to attack your base, threatning them to execute, and use a more diplomatic way, or asking for a ransom...

Trolls aren't attracted by hostage situations in game. Hostage or not they'll always be here and they could kill you without any reasons (and that's what they already do). I get that you don't like trolls and griefers -no one does- but this has nothing to do with the game mechanics themselves. Trolls are to be delt with in other ways than limiting features : perma ban, whitelist servers, private servers.

You're beaf is against public server, where getting rid of trolls is almost impossible if you don't have admins watching over 24/24h. But there are so many ways to grief, from killing on sight to burning everything, that being taken hostage would be the least of your concerns. It's something you have to be aware of if you're planning to join any open server.

But you could do all of that without making it a forced mechanic. Just point a gun at the guy and make him do what you want under pain of getting shot lots. Forcible restraints add nothing but grief.

What's to stop someone from taking me captive, throwing me into a room and barricading everything so I can't get out then just leaving me there with no way to destroy the barricades and leave? Or firing a gun and running off so the whole house gets surrounded by zeds and I'm forced to wait it out until the zombies get to me and kill me because they left me no weapons? Or just straight up leaving me handcuffed to something heavy to act as zed bait while they run off with all my stuff? None of these scenarios add anything to the game for the victim other than grief. Unless it's a roleplay dedicated, white listed server those will be the most common scenarios. It's a mechanic that actively encourages grief oriented behavior and is ripe for abuse.

But you could do all of that without making it a forced mechanic. Just point a gun at the guy and make him do what you want under pain of getting shot lots. Forcible restraints add nothing but grief.

What's to stop someone from taking me captive, throwing me into a room and barricading everything so I can't get out then just leaving me there with no way to destroy the barricades and leave? Or firing a gun and running off so the whole house gets surrounded by zeds and I'm forced to wait it out until the zombies get to me and kill me because they left me no weapons? Or just straight up leaving me handcuffed to something heavy to act as zed bait while they run off with all my stuff? None of these scenarios add anything to the game for the victim other than grief. Unless it's a roleplay dedicated, white listed server those will be the most common scenarios. It's a mechanic that actively encourages grief oriented behavior and is ripe for abuse.

*Cough*

This is how you died...

You was murdered, left to starve? Kidnapped and used as bait? Robbed? Welcome to the Apocalypse.

*Cough*

This is how you died...

You was murdered, left to starve? Kidnapped and used as bait? Robbed? Welcome to the Apocalypse.

hehe, I normally die by getting lost in the woods :( What I wouldnt give to have been kidnapped back to town lol

Really shitty way to die. If I'm gonna be murdered, just shoot me in the face. If you wanna kidnap me, point a gun or three at me and tell me to march. If you want to use me as bait, shoot me in the knees or something so my reduced movement speed makes it harder for me to get away from the area. If you want to rob me, point your guns at me and pat me down for whatever supplies I'm carrying as suggested above (really quite a good suggestion).

But for the love of god, don't ever take control of the game away from me. Don't ever take away my ability to control my character. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

That is not good game design

Whatever potential benefit that could be gained is far outweighed by the fact that you've just turned my copy of the game into a zombie themed episode of a thousand ways to die. Just gotta sit back and wait to see how I get offed. And believe you me, that's how it'll happen ninety nine percent of the time. The ability to physically restrain a survivor would be like an electric magnet for people who want to give other people a hard time.

Yep that's exactly what we're saying ! The only thing close from a "forced mechanic" could be letting yourself having your hands tied, making both your hand slots unusable (ie. unable to equip a weapon) until you get untied by someone or untie yourself, which would make running away harder, but still doable. Also, lockable doors, just because it makes more sense than barricading them when you know you'll open it back.

All the rest is already doable as the game is right now, you can already threaten people to kill them and take them as hostages, or do as you please.

As I just said above, all those things are already possible right now if you are better armed than the guy you want to grief. Even tho, I've yet to encounter similar scenarios on open servers, because it gives the "victim" a chance to fight back and kill the griefer. From the moment the attacker is telling you to drop your weapons and follow his orders, you get suspiscious and defensive and ready to fight back for your character's life.

That's why they just shoot on sight, giving their victims no time to talk or no chance to figure out they're trolls, until they're dead.

If it ever happens to you and you let yourself go through the whole griefer's scenario, well you're just asking for it or being dumb. Except if you play on a RP server and fall in the claws of psychotic character, I would actually laugh as a victim, way more entertaining than being shot on sight.

But from the moment a griefer decides you'll be the victim, hostage situation or not, forced mechanics or not, your game is over. Being shot on sight or held captive until death is just exactly the same things, you got griefed and your game is finished.

Hence the fact there's no point holding features back, griefers exist from the moment there's only ONE way to ruin someone's game (death). And the way you get rid of griefers is with private servers, whitelist servers, or permanent bans.

Even tho I'm not for real "forced mechanics" because it's restrictive for RP, it "closes" a lot of outcomes from one given situation.

Edit :

Really shitty way to die.

Well, not shittier than falling from your 2nd floor on construction, being bitten by a zombie after a stupid mistake, eating a rotten egg, getting shot in the face without any warning etc...

Dying in a survival game is shitty, but that's the whole point of the game.

I don't really see the use of having a method of voluntary restraint if it's, well, voluntary. If this is all that's necessary, it can just be any in-game item and we can effectively "imagine" being held hostage with these handy handcuff items. Then, at least, you're not limited by an arbitrary system ("With his hands behind his back, he works a paperclip into the locking mechanism and escapes! YEAH!").

But sure, if you want something specific for RP purposes with some backing, I guess there's nothing wrong with that, either. To me, it sounds annoying and boring as hell (as I have no reason to consent to it if it's voluntary and no desire to experience being forced into it if it isn't). Using the gun system to validate this probably won't fly with the recent changes to the system, either: they're no longer one shot / one kill (except perhaps on higher levels) . . . or shouldn't be, baring random chance.

Should note the animations discussed in the blog entry are more likely for the NPCs/scripted situations rather than the player character, but we won't know for sure unless the developers weigh in.

If the griefer targets me for death and I get shot dead, then so be it. That's the price I paid for playing the game. The death itself is an inevitable outcome.

What I can't tolerate, however, is not being able to play my game. That's the entire crux of my argument. If I get shot to death, if I fall off a building, if I get bitten and zombified, that's all well and good. That happened while I was playing the game. But if some asshole handcuffs me and restricts my ability to act without their input, then I am no longer playing the game. They are playing my game. Control has been taken from me and I can no longer act out my desires within the confines of this scenario. I am stuck in this situation until my captor choose to let me free. That is not something I can abide by and I will get up and leave the computer to go do something else because my game has ceased for me and I can only wait until my captor is through with me before I can resume.  Not playing the game is the only course of action left for me at this point.

I don't really see the use of having a method of voluntary restraint if it's, well, voluntary. If this is all that's necessary, it can just be any in-game item and we can effectively "imagine" being held hostage with these handy handcuff items. Then, at least, you're not limited by an arbitrary system ("With his hands behind his back, he works a paperclip into the locking mechanism and escapes! YEAH!").

But sure, if you want something specific for RP purposes with some backing, I guess there's nothing wrong with that, either. To me, it sounds annoying and boring as hell (as I have no reason to consent to it if it's voluntary and no desire to experience being forced into it if it isn't). Using the gun system to validate this probably won't fly with the recent changes to the system, either: they're no longer one shot / one kill (except perhaps on higher levels) . . . or shouldn't be, baring random chance.

Should note the animations discussed in the blog entry are more likely for the NPCs/scripted situations rather than the player character, but we won't know for sure unless the developers weigh in.

Well, voluntary is all relative. It would just be offered as an option which the player is willing to take under the threat of a loaded gun, or for a greater plan, like a plot to enter his ennemies' camp, letting himself being captive. It would be an immersive "plus" offering different situations and game mechanics [finding a way out, escaping, or doing as told to avoid getting his whole group murdered etc...]

Just for the sake of multiple possibilities, because that's what it's all about in the end.

If the griefer targets me for death and I get shot dead, then so be it. That's the price I paid for playing the game. The death itself is an inevitable outcome.

What I can't tolerate, however, is not being able to play my game. That's the entire crux of my argument. If I get shot to death, if I fall off a building, if I get bitten and zombified, that's all well and good. That happened while I was playing the game. But if some asshole handcuffs me and restricts my ability to act without their input, then I am no longer playing the game. They are playing my game. Control has been taken from me and I can no longer act out my desires within the confines of this scenario. I am stuck in this situation until my captor choose to let me free. That is not something I can abide by and I will get up and leave the computer to go do something else because my game has ceased for me and I can only wait until my captor is through with me before I can resume.  Not playing the game is the only course of action left for me at this point.

Well, I'll try to word it one last time differently again. No one forces you to spectate "your game being played by someone else", nothing keeps you from disconnecting and making another character.

I don't undersand you being "ok" with being insta killed by a griefer, and not being "ok" with being griefed any other way, because the outcome is the exact same thing : your character is over. You're just forcing yourself to watch the griefers grief when you really have no obligation to do so, you can just let go and create another one, since you'll have to do it once the griefers are finished with you anyway.

Your logic on that particular point makes no sense to me, I'm not trying to be rude. I just can't see it.

I totally can understand that. But, I would like to see a handsup animation or an ability to restrain someone ... Not forever... Put a timer on it. In 2 minutes the captive is free. Thatd give the attacker enough time to rob you or do whatever it is that the character was gonna do to u. :)