Farming Guide

LlostSoul

I'm one of the players who likes to fortify a location and see how long I can survive. As such, I've had plenty of time to test farming. It's nothing fancy but I figured I'd share my findings with those who are wondering about the nuts and bolts of farming.

And as noted in the guide, I do realize it's a beta game and everything could change tomorrow. Such is life!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyxgjreprkq0dhr/Farming%20Guide.docx

Nice guide! I'll try setting up at the unfished school sometime. I never got around to farming because there's no method of preserving the crops, save for a few mods I might try. With your guide I might give it a try. Nice research BTW: finding out what diseases your plants and the triple walls, never thought of that).

PS: this saves me the trouble of figuering it all out myself (fedora)

Nice guide, thanks! :)

As far as Radishes and Carrots never growing properly/dying etc, yeah I noticed this too. I'm sure RJ is on to it, but in the meantime, I edited the farming_vegetableconf.lua file, and adjusted the Carrots and Radish entries, (based on the cabbages settings). Seems to work now, I was able to grow and harvest carrots and radishes okay. Now I'm NOT that familiar with LUA, so may not be the "correct" way, but feel free to try. Obviously, backup your original file first! Also, when the game next updates via Steam, this file will be overwritten, so if it's not fixed in the next release, you may need to use this edited file again...

The file is located in your "...\SteamApps\Common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\Farming" directory. Here's my edited file:

farming_vegetableconf.lua (33 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!dxwRDYhI!SpqfaUmSh_TrqsL7NHHPCDm3U-hApEk2zfqjjhj07DI

I still can't use the shovel to dig up any "dead" plants, but sure this is on RJ's to-do list as well. :) 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's been watering mine also. It hadn't rained in a good week when I asked.

This guide is super helpful. I should have just read it before I asked about the rain. It answers that question like a page in. Super super helpful. I was wondering why my carrots kept dying.

Update, December-April:

December:

-I started eating 3 vegetables (1 of each) whenever I was peckish, to see how long the food lasted.

-it rained almost every day

-strawberries just won't go away. Whenever I load the game the dead strawberry plots will reappear. Even if I plant a new vegetable where the strawberries were, when I reload the dead strawberry texture reappears. It changes to the new vegetable once a new growing cycle starts

-December 25! Ate the last of my strawberries. Green Christmas- it rained all day. Gave myself a nice present of freshly harvested cabbages. I invited the zombies for dinner; none came.

January:

-New Years Day- stood on the roof and yelled for 1.5 hours. No zombies appeared.

-it was freezing most nights (wearing a sweater)

February:

-not a Leap Year!

March:

-starting to run low on broccoli (17 left) and potatoes (5 left). Cut back to only eating cabbages to restock.

-my carpentry and farming are maxed, cooking is level 3, and sprinting is level 1. Harvesting crops still gives skill points though so I have over 50 skill points (I can't tell the exact number- it's too big for the little circle!)

-some days are unpleasantly hot with a sweater, but nights are freezing with just a vest

-it rains EVERY SINGLE DAY, for most of the day!!!

-the crazy coot is still firing his shotgun- good to know I'm not the only one still alive. Helicopter has thankfully crashed.

April:

-Spring! The time of year when a young man's fancy turns to love! And also, the end of this current game. It is extremely choppy, especially when I am running. I often have to restart as I cannot move items in my inventory, eat food, etc.

-un-removable dead vegetables are taking over my farming area. It started with strawberries but now includes all vegetables. It's not an issue with this game as there's lots of farming area at the school but if I only had a small growing area, it would be a huge problem

-I ended with the following seeds: Broccoli- 614, cabbage- 357, potatoes- 870.

-I fed myself just fine throughout the winter. Harvests seemed to pick up a little into March but not enough to make much of a difference. I still hadn't touched my berries or canned goods.

I won't lay claim to the title of "longest survival" as I would say that the school is bugged re: no zombie attacks :).

Cheers all! I'm off to live a hunter/gatherer lifestyle in the next game!

Have you ever had a farm disappear on you? I figure you'd be the man to ask considering all the farming you've done. My farm literally just disappeared. I had 8 plants growing, a mix of broccoli, tomatoes, and potatoes. They were all right around 12ish days growing, and I left to go on a nail run, and I just came back and not only have my plants disappeared, but the plots I dug are also gone. It's as if they were never there. The walls I built around them are still there, and the crates with my gardening supplies are all fine, but the farm itself is gone. I think it may have been abducted by aliens.

Nope. I was wrong. It didn't disappear. It teleported into the middle of the street a couple blocks away. 4 perfectly formed tomato plants sprouting out of the middle of concrete. You don't see that every day.

Have you ever had a farm disappear on you? I figure you'd be the man to ask considering all the farming you've done. My farm literally just disappeared. I had 8 plants growing, a mix of broccoli, tomatoes, and potatoes. They were all right around 12ish days growing, and I left to go on a nail run, and I just came back and not only have my plants disappeared, but the plots I dug are also gone. It's as if they were never there. The walls I built around them are still there, and the crates with my gardening supplies are all fine, but the farm itself is gone. I think it may have been abducted by aliens.

Nope. I was wrong. It didn't disappear. It teleported into the middle of the street a couple blocks away. 4 perfectly formed tomato plants sprouting out of the middle of concrete. You don't see that every day.

This was a known bug in older versions. The ominous teleporting crops. Should be fixed in interim at least.

Yeah I figured it was something like that. I had an issue one day last week that was sort of similar, but not enough for me to see the connection until I found my crop again a few blocks away. A full tile of land from a different part of town was teleported onto my front lawn while I was sleeping. It teleported on top of my crop that time, and made it disappear that way, but I had just loaded the game from a save, so I improperly closed it and loaded the save from before the bug had happened without much penalty. This time I hadn't saved in several game days though so it was either lose all that time to reload the save or just deal with my farm being gone. Granted you have to go in expecting some bugginess with a game that's under development, but they hit so hard sometimes anyway because the game is just so damn immersive. I get myself so into it, especially during games like my current one, where I've been successfully staying alive for so long, and am at a point where I'm set up so well, and then when a bug shows up and stomps on it it's like reality slapping you in the chops.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, here is the updated information for the most recent release [17(0014)]:

For all vegetables, the time to rot has not changed.

Cabbages:

-the days to harvest (with and without seeds) has not changed

-the yield however has been lowered. The most cabbages I harvested on this play-through (ending November 14) was 6 (and a vast majority of harvests gave 4 cabbages). That is lower than the 8 for the previous build

Broccoli:

-it now takes 15-16 days to harvest (without seeds)- this is increased from 14-15 days

-it still takes 3 additional days to get seeds

-the yield remains the same

Potatoes:

-harvest time (without seeds) has also been increased to 14-15 days from 12-13 days

-it still takes 3 additional days to get seeds

-the yield remains the same

Tomatoes:

-harvest time has increased to 16 days

-the yield has been fixed- tomato plants no longer just give 1 tomato/harvest. They now give 6-8 on average

Strawberries:

-the "zombie strawberries" are no more! While you still have to worry about disease as the plant is not removed on harvest, you no longer have to worry about disease destroying all your plants. As well, they don't infect other plants like they did before

-because they maintain their diseases after harvest though, the harvest times were all over the place. Initial harvest was 19 days. After that the harvest varied from 14 to 23 days.

-yield was 8-11 strawberries

Misc.:

-shovels now remove dead plants

-you can now make a tasty salad out of tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, and cabbage. I note however that the only time I made it, I got sick.

-the sprites for cabbages are different for your inventory vs. in a crate. The sprite looks darker when the cabbage is placed in a crate.

-if you have a trowel equipped, one click on "dig" works. Otherwise you have to click twice (the first click doesn't actually dig, it just equips the trowel)

-the health of a plant appears to have been fixed. In the previous build the plants would always get healthier as they grew. Now, their health is more fixed to when they are first planted

What I have been doing in West Point is: I carry a package of potato seeds and a trowel with me when I go scavenging. I'll plant and water some potatoes every once in a while at locations where I know I will probably be travelling on in the future. Then I just leave them. If they survive, great, and I can harvest them if I'm by that way again and have fresh food for a few days. If not, no loss.

Hope this is helpful.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why the potatoes need to produce seeds to plant them. If this is supposed to be somewhat realistic, most potatoes do not require seeds to grow; the potato is a tuber root that can self produce from just a piece of the tuber with an eye (called a "seed tuber"). Many commercial potatoes have even been bred not to produce true seed. If it's a cultivated potato, yes, a majority of potato varieties will produce flowering vines that bare a fruit which carries the seeds, eventually, but it may take many perennial cycles to produce viable ones. It's just easier to grow from the tuber.