Need more help for weapons..

RobertJohnson

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of your examples are things that could be good ideas. If you barricade your windows, the lights can go on safely. Eating bad food is a meaningful decision if you're starving. I don't believe in having noob traps in games, though. In my humble opinion it's terrible game design.

Also, not suggesting you fire with one hand. You can clasp the stock under the barrel with a small flashlight as per your example, having it in hand alongside the gun. You retain the same close quarters accuracy and mobility (fairly bad in both cases) without having to do the crappy modification to your firearm, and also get the ability to use or drop either one singly if the situation calls for it.

Like drinking bleach.  :P

I'm not sure Konrad's ideas would necessarily be "noob traps".  It sounds to me like "less than optimal" play, which may be justified due to a lack of resources.  If you don't have a screwdriver, maybe duct tape is your second best option?

While I agree that "noob traps" would be bad game design, I think the freedom for a player to make bad choices can be good game design in the right circumstances because it can teach.  For example, sprinting non-stop through a town filled with zombies can be done by players currently.  But doing so will result in the consequence of exhaustion, meaning you may not be able to defend yourself well after.  The game is "teaching" players to take a more methodical approach to surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Providing options for "less than optimal" play isn't necessarily bad for a game. It presents challenges and opportunities for player learning.  I wouldn't want to craft the lowest level of fence, but it is an option.  I think the key is that the "less than optimal" plays shouldn't be game ending.

I think it's a matter of opinion, Jatta. Me personally, being a clumsy person, I would tape everything to everything, so I don't have to drop it, pick it up, pocket it while I'm running, etc etc. To me, holding two objects, one in each hand, means I don't have a free hand for grabbing something or opening something, unless I drop one of the items, which means I just sacrificed my flash light.
I can't pocket a flashlight while running from a zombie through a dark house I've never been in, and don't know the layout of. My heart will probably be racing, and I'll screw something up. So for me, duct tape would be pretty acceptable way to secure things, at least temporarily, so it's not really a "terrible idea" in my specific case.

But in Rathlord's case, he may be able to drop a flashlight and pick it up, and maybe whack a zed on the face with it, because he may be more fit and comfortable with that kind of physicality. So to him, from his view point, my idea is terrible, while to me, it's just doing my best.

In the game though, to introduce an idea, it has to be at least partially viable. So it has to simulate the weight distribution of a factory mounted flashlight on, say, assault rifles.

A terrible idea would be taping it like Rathlord described in his example, to the far end of the barrel. And those are indeed, going to be frustrating. Why make it possible if it only gimps the weapon?

I think the main issue we're facing with taping a flashlight to a gun is that the only flashlight we have in PZ are the big ones, like this:

220px-High_power_torch.jpg

When the type of flashlight that would be a lot more suitable for that sort of thing would be like this:

220px-Led-flashlight.jpg

Perhaps its time for another flashlight item, maybe something like a Maglite?