Need more help for weapons..

RobertJohnson

No, I'm saying if you duct tape a flashlight to a rifle it won't help you light up anything you're shooting at and will vastly decrease your accuracy.

You said it's completely unrealistic ;) Not everyone was trained by Navy Seals so taping a flahslight to your gun might be the mistake a normal person makes.

You could also let them duct tape an anvil to their gun- after all, you can do that in real life, too.

No that would be redicolous.

Well actually this could be added as an easter egg.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm failing to see how duct taping an anvil to a gun relates to duct taping something the size of Maglite mini or your generic small flashlight onto a gun. Especially when you consider that attaching lights  to a weapon using a rail system is not exactly an unusual thing to do. Or is a rail somehow so magical that it is completely fine, whereas a solidly taped light isn't?

It's exactly as relevant as duct taping a flashlight if we're just listing off things that are possible to do in real life. I already explained that shorter guns work fine with especially with specialty lights that are made to fit the gun, be lightweight, and do a specific job (aka the kind that go on rails). You won't find a long barreled hunting ("sniper") rifle anywhere with a light on a rail system because it would be stupid as hell. We're not talking about assault rifles or handguns here, we're talking about 26" barrel length rifles.

It's exactly as relevant as duct taping a flashlight if we're just listing off things that are possible to do in real life. I already explained that shorter guns work fine with especially with specialty lights that are made to fit the gun, be lightweight, and do a specific job (aka the kind that go on rails). You won't find a long barreled hunting ("sniper") rifle anywhere with a light on a rail system because it would be stupid as hell. We're not talking about assault rifles or handguns here, we're talking about 26" barrel length rifles.

I agree it does not make much sense to generally mount a light on a long rifle in real life, since in real life these weapons are used from a long range. However when it's the only weapon one has happened to find in the post-apocalypse, one may still prefer the rifle, with a small light taped to the front stock, to bare hands when skulking about in the darkness, should something happen to jump in front of you in the dark.

I'm not advocating sniping with a flashlight, in PZ you just generally have to make do with what you have, instead of having a different gun for all occasions. This means also using a long rifle at close range.

I think it would be much more practical to just hold the light alongside the barrel with your hand (or, more likely, just carry the rifle in one hand and the light in another while walking around). I mean, if you really think it should be added to the game that's fine as long as it destroys your accuracy. But there's also the thing of the flashlight in PZ being one of those huge ones that probably weighs more than the gun itself and is the size of a watermelon.

What about grip/front grip ? Is it common, does it help with aiming time needed (when in standing stance) ? (for rifle/shotgun ?)

A Foregrip is a grip on the front of a firearm that makes controlling recoil easier, and prevents burns from the barrel during firing. A vertical foregrip can also allow for easier horizontal movement of the firearm, as it creates a firmer grasping point than conventional hand guards. It can be incorporated onto many rifles as part of the Rail Integration System.

The Foregrip is an attachment that can be fitted to most weapons. It decreases horizontal recoil values on the attached firearm when firing, but increases the spread values while aiming down the sights

I'd honestly like to see crude homemade attachments for guns (the duct tape flashlight/bayonet, pillow scilencer, etc) be more prevalent and craft-able than actual attachments.  Maybe taping a flashlight to a gun makes you get tired if you hold it aimed for too long, lowering accuracy.  Flashlights on weapons should carry not only accuracy penalties, but make you a beacon for zombies.  I am not sure if they are attracted to flashlight yet, but if not they should be. 

For me the idea of finding laser sights, rail attachments or what have you seems goofy, and puts too much focus on weapons. As I've said on another thread it kind of kills the fear of zombies when you become this decked out Rambo.  But keeping this stuff homemade and somewhat inefficient would keep things fun and frightful.  Also, the idea of a steak knife duct taped to a shotgun gives me a big shit eating grin. :D

As for the rest, I'll leave it to the gun experts here, who know a LOT more than I do when it comes to this stuff.  I don't know what it's called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a zombies head off.

+1 for the bayonet, simple and effective. It should have an insta-kill animation instead of the push back animation that occurs when wielding a gun and attacking a zombie that is too close. It makes timing crucial, which is the most important factor in using a bayonet.Or maybe make a separate way of attacking to avoid accidently shooting?

Laser sights and the like are actually quite prevalent these days. But just because you can accrue lots of attachments for your firearm doesn't make you a killing machine- you'll still lose to a horde.

About the bayonet, I already mentioned above why this is a really bad idea. Pillow silencers are also straight up irrelevant for reasons I've made clear several times throughout the years. While I don't mind the idea of crafting stuff like this, it's just not realistic/smart.

Laser sights and the like are actually quite prevalent these days. But just because you can accrue lots of attachments for your firearm doesn't make you a killing machine- you'll still lose to a horde.

About the bayonet, I already mentioned above why this is a really bad idea. Pillow silencers are also straight up irrelevant for reasons I've made clear several times throughout the years. While I don't mind the idea of crafting stuff like this, it's just not realistic/smart.

With the size of map atm and the amount of houses, I doubt you would run across many gun attachments.  This may take place in KY, but not every house has a gun, let alone attachments.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find many gun attachments there now, even without zombies running around in the streets.

A bayonet may be a bad idea, but people love bad ideas!  Just another way to eat it in the wastelands.  The pillow silencer was a tongue-in-cheek reference to a mod I saw listed on this site ages ago.  At some point a line has to be drawn between realism and fun gameplay.  Or maybe not, what do I know, I just play video games. :P

Where did you discuss the bayonet, I may have missed it? Bayonets reduced accuracy when used which is why they were only really fixed before a bayonet charge. Would this help?

I'll have to find the post tonight when it get home from my other job. May have been a different thread XD

As for the attachments… you'd be surprised. The store I work in sells guns and accessories, and this stuff FLIES out the door. Not to mention every town in the south has at least one gun/hunting shop. Walmarts even carry this shit now. As close as Muldraugh is to the military base there, they'd likely have a surplus store as well.

With the size of map atm and the amount of houses, I doubt you would run across many gun attachments.  This may take place in KY, but not every house has a gun, let alone attachments.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find many gun attachments there now, even without zombies running around in the streets.

As for the attachments… you'd be surprised. The store I work in sells guns and accessories, and this stuff FLIES out the door. Not to mention every town in the south has at least one gun/hunting shop. Walmarts even carry this shit now. As close as Muldraugh is to the military base there, they'd likely have a surplus store as well.

Rathlord is absolutely right in this case.  As I've stated before, I'm a Kentucky resident.  Its the reason I created the RKF mod in the first place.  While we're not a state of Rambo-wannabe's, I can most assuredly tell you that the majority of households in Kentucky have at least one to two firearms plus ammunition, etc.

It's a part of our culture.  We are very proud of our second amendment rights and most Kentucky natives will be more than happy to tell you that (just take a look at our state legislators' recent history if you need proof of how wary we are of threats to our second amendment rights).  Hell, we pass firearms down to our children when they come of age as heirlooms.

Of course, none of us want the game to suddenly become flooded with guns from every cabinet, alcove, and trash bin and, even recognizing how well armed we are IRL, if a "real" zombie apocalypse occurred and had progressed to the stages the game portrays much of those munitions would have gone missing or damaged due to the deaths of people to the first waves of zombies as they attempted to fortify their homes.

The point is, the developers obviously have all this in mind already, so let's cut them a break and trust that they're gonna deliver an update that's the level of quality we've come to expect from Indie Stone.  They test their work thoroughly and I've never been displeased with the balance of the game after any previous updates.  I'm certain this ranged weapon revamp will be top notch!

Really, there's no great need to overcomplicate ranged weaponry. There were good games out there that were spoiled when they popped their heads too far into Army-Land.

I have an awful lot to say about guns and their impact on the horror genre, so for the sake of simplicity I will simply say "Less is More". :)

Just my opinion of course, not a demand.

Though in saying that, an option in the Server Settings to decide the spawn chance (if any) of Guns & Accessories wouldn't go amiss!

Definitely agree there Vantus. I must admit to being a bit conflicted as to the level of detail we should go to. When I first proposed the weapon overhaul to RJ I only envisioned a few updates to range and killing power rather than the full revamp we have now.

That being said, I think even with all the new additions the overall killing power of the player should actually be reduced, which is still a step in the right direction to me.

If no bayonet I would at least like an option to melee with weapons.  I have countless times (with a firearm equipped) wished I could just melee this one straggler or a window without alerting every zed in the area.  IE: pistol whip or hit them with the butt of the shotgun.  Hell you could even just use the pushing animation and stomping like when you have nothing equipped.      

I have very little experience with shotguns but I can say for sure that the foregrip on the Austeyr improved my accuracy while firing from a kneeling or standing position. I could group 20 rounds under 200mm at 100m (not using it would push me up to 350mm grouping). In the prone (laying) I would fold the foregrip and could group under 150mm at 300m. If the site isn't zeroed (adjusted for you specifically) it can throw your accuracy out the window.

I'm not sure if that sort of detail is any use to you.

Two handed pistol accuracy increase is a great idea.

The only attachments I have ever used are the optic site (attached via a picatinny rail) and a Night Aiming Device, which you could only see if you were using nightvision goggles. Uh yeah, the Bayonet. Firing with a bayonet would start to cost me accuracy pretty quickly. I could start out firing fine but the weight in the front would pretty quickly tire me and make me shoot much worse.

I wish I could havefer more, hopefully what I have listed will be of some use to you