Need more help for weapons..

RobertJohnson

Hello folks,

As you may know, I'm doing the weapon overhaull, I'm now on the "weapon upgrade" stuff, like add a recoil pad, scope, barrel, etc..

But I don't know anything about them..

So if anyone knows this stuff well (remember, it first have to be for hunting, and commonly found in Kentucky), that'll help me a lot :)

Basically :

What are the common upgrades

What they do

How it's easy to add them on the rifle, does it need any tools (screwdriver..), if it need machining, then the part will have to be found dicrely mounted on a rifle, you can't find them alone (and can't remove them from the rifle)

Thanks ! :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few modifications any old idiot (me) can do :)

1. Flashlight duct-taped to a gun. It is easy to do and works rather well.

2. A sling or rope tied to the barrel and the stock, allowing for a 'lighter' load when carrying a firearm. This is very easy also to do and you can pretty much use a sheet, sweater or bandage for this.

3. Glow in the dark paint can be applied to crosshairs to allow for enhanced accuracy in darkness. This is quite rare stuff to find but what we did (as kids with an air rifle) was take a knife and cut a little bit off of a glow in the dark toy and use transparent tape or glue to fix that to the crosshairs. It worked very well actually since we found two different colours from a lego set and made front and back crosshairs glow differently. It is not really complex to do or think of, just a bit unorthodox lol. Also this only has a benefit when you are shooting out of the darkness into the light.

How it's easy to add them on the rifle, does it need any tools (screwdriver..), if it need machining, then the part will have to be found dicrely mounted on a rifle, you can't find them alone (and can't remove them from the rifle)

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Does that mean that upgrades can't be found seperately if they only fit on a certain weapon?

Most pump action shotguns have a 5 round tube magazine that can be extended to 8 rounds by installing a kit that is a common item sold at gun stores tools required to fit it would be a screwdriver.

As far as I know there's a legal limit to the amount of shells you can carry in a shotgun while hunting- I'm pretty sure the reverse of your statement is true. My dad had to stick a stop in his to reduce the amount of shells that would fit.

Also duct taping a flashlight to the end of a long weapon will exponentially increase the difficulty of holding it out straight and accurate. Weight at the end of a barrel is always a bad idea. Stuff like short assault rifles gets away with this because aiming with them is much more primitive and they aren't as long, so the effect of the weight isn't as big.

Some very common addons that many Kentuckian's would would readily have access to and use would be:

• Scopes (these can be of various type and magnification power).  Usually require a screwdriver to mount and can only be mounted on firearms with an appropriate mounting rail (there are two basic types dovetail is most common but "tactical" style civilian firearms can be weaver, a less precise variant of the standard military picatinny rail)
    • Hunting Rifles usually have high magnification power and standard crosshair configuration.  They can provide high accuracy at range but the magnification makes it difficult to quickly lineup and take a shot.
    • Its come in vogue to buy and use some military style "tactical" addons for hunting purposes in Kentucky in the last few years so low/no magnification red dot scopes are becoming common for some lower caliber rifles and marksmen who don't mind trading off sight range for being able to quickly line up a shot at short to medium range.
  • Shotgun chokes are commonly used by those of us who want a tighter pattern at distance when firing various types of bird or buckshot.  They require an adapter that fits over the end of the shotgun barrel (assuming there isn't a front sight tab or that it has been removed) and can be secured by torquing a screw with a screwdriver.  The chokes can then be screwed into or out of the adaptor as necessary.
  • Slings are very commonly attached to long rifles and shotguns as a means of facilitating easier transport when not held at ready firing position.  Simple one-point slings (most common type and frequently found on civilian hunting firearms) easily allow a firearm to be carried slung over the shoulder or on the back with the sling running crosswise over their chest.  Less frequently seen but potentially available are two and three-point slings.  These are military style slings and allow a wider range of customization in style of carry.

That's the majorly common modifications I can think of offhand that I see all the time.  I'll be sure to comment if I think of anything else.

-A long(or not so long XD depend on the price) range scope installed with a screwdriver, sometimes some hunting rifle have it installed already, but yo can change it very easily they can be found in any armory ot even mall.

-A flashider its not only military but the weapon has to be compatible.

-Imprvised camo for a rifle with rags and grass.

-In walcking dead they improvised a supressors XP, it can be done with pvc pipes glue tape and some inches.

-An shell holder for the shotgun or a butt stock rifle pouch will increase the reload speed (could be imbrovised or boughted in a weapon store)

-A stock that reduces the recoil found in weapon store you will also need screwdriver and not compatible with all weapons usually are for precision rifles.

And there must be hundred attachment more XP good luck

-A long(or not so long XD depend on the price) range scope installed with a screwdriver, sometimes some hunting rifle have it installed already, but yo can change it very easily they can be found in any armory ot even mall.

-A flashider its not only military but the weapon has to be compatible.

-Imprvised camo for a rifle with rags and grass.

-In walcking dead they improvised a supressors XP, it can be done with pvc pipes glue tape and some inches.

-An shell holder for the shotgun or a butt stock rifle pouch will increase the reload speed (could be imbrovised or boughted in a weapon store)

-A stock that reduces the recoil found in weapon store you will also need screwdriver and not compatible with all weapons usually are for precision rifles.

And there must be hundred attachment more XP good luck

Just thought of one more:

• Bull Barrels.  While not as common on higher caliber rifles as smaller caliber, some individuals opt to replace their rifle's standard barrel with a bull barrel.  Bull barrels are completely cylindrical, with no taper, from one end to the other and tend to be very thick and heavy.  The idea is that a thicker barrel will better resist and direct the vibration pattern and pressure wave produced by firing a bullet.  The result is a more accurate shot at distance.  Rifle barrels can be changed out by removing the action screws with an Allen wrench and unthreading the old barrel from the recoil plate, then simply thread the new barrel to the recoil plate snugly and replace the action screws.  A concern to keep in mind, however, is configuration and shape of the foregrip.  Some rifles may need some machining to properly take a bull barrel if the foregrip interferes with alignment.

Also duct taping a flashlight to the end of a long weapon will exponentially increase the difficulty of holding it out straight and accurate. Weight at the end of a barrel is always a bad idea...

A shotgun would be just fine with a flashlight attached and so would a rifle for that matter. The point of a flashlight is to provide light, as it does. It is a good idea if you need light where you are shooting so I doubt this ''exponential" increase in difficulty of use would be worse than shooting in pitch-blackness. It is still a very doable modification with a very clear use.

I've mentioned everything about (with a few exceptions) to RJ over Skype, but I didn't mention choke tubes. I might have to have a think about that one, as they are quite common and most hunting shotguns have them on already.

As far as bull barrels go, I'm not sure it's really common enough to bother with adding. I don't have them at the store I work in, and I don't think I've ever noticed one at the other hunting stores I frequent.

Also duct taping a flashlight to the end of a long weapon will exponentially increase the difficulty of holding it out straight and accurate. Weight at the end of a barrel is always a bad idea...

A shotgun would be just fine with a flashlight attached and so would a rifle for that matter. The point of a flashlight is to provide light, as it does. It is a good idea if you need light where you are shooting so I doubt this ''exponential" increase in difficulty of use would be worse than shooting in pitch-blackness. It is still a very doable modification with a very clear use.

Spoken like someone who's never held out a full sized rifle and aimed with nothing to rest it on. If you had a really tiny, light weight flashlight you'd probably be fine- but then you wouldn't be lighting up your target. With a rifle, you could NEVER light far enough by taping on a flashlight to actually see something at range.

In general, though, this is just a purely ignorant statement. If it's dark and you can't see your targets, you shouldn't be running around shooting guns anyways. You make yourself a beacon, ruin your night vision, and die. Holding a gun steady with no brace is hard. Adding the weight of a sizable flashlight will make it impossible to do for long periods of time.

Go get a big book off the bookshelf. Hold it next to your chest. You can do this forever. Now hold it out at arms length. See how long you can do that for? Not long. It's the same with a gun. Putting the weight that far from yourself makes it much harder to balance and hold up. It's a bad idea driven by bad hollywood garbage and shouldn't be in the game.

Yes, but I have to question the point of this from a mechanics position.  Currently in PZ all firearms are considered one-handed weapons, leaving your secondary slot wide open for inclusion of anything else you'd like to place there (ie. - a flashlight).  I currently do this when I play the game now and it has the effect of utilizing a flashlight (which can still be toggled on and off with "f") while maintaining the ability to ready and fire any firearm currently in the game.

This does bring me to a question I've been wondering about the ranged overhaul, Robert.  Are you planning to make certain firearms require use of both hands to operate (or at least have option to set a java property to do this) in the future?  It just struck me as odd that currently players could fire a 12 gauge shotgun repeatedly with hand with no loss of stamina or danger of injury.  I started looking through the code to see if it was possible to set items to require use of both hands and found the property "IsRequiresEquippedBothHands()" but it doesn't seem to effect anything I attach it to currently.

This can't be left out because it's a very common and basic DIY modification. two magazines taped together with duct-tape like this to dramatically decrease reloading time. 

-snip picture-

None of the weapons we're adding have a long clip like this or I'd be all for it. The rifles just have short clips that go fully into the bottom of the barrel and aren't removed for changing ammo (it's fed in from under the bolt in the action). Pistol clips are exchangeable but not long. Shotgun obviously doesn't use clips.

Good points Pravus. Shotgun and rifle should both require 2 hands, I'll mention to him. I'll also mention that it's MUCH more feasible to hold a small flashlight in your hand along the side of the barrel (weight much closer to the body and not attached to the gun) than it is to tape to the gun itself. While it might work okay with the shotgun, it'd still make it exhausting to use. There's no situation where this would work for a rifle.

This does bring me to a question I've been wondering about the ranged overhaul, Robert.  Are you planning to make certain firearms require use of both hands to operate (or at least have option to set a java property to do this) in the future?  It just struck me as odd that currently players could fire a 12 gauge shotgun repeatedly with hand with no loss of stamina or danger of injury.  I started looking through the code to see if it was possible to set items to require use of both hands and found the property "IsRequiresEquippedBothHands()" but it doesn't seem to effect anything I attach it to currently.

Yup, all weapons expect the pistol require both hands now, I may add that if pistol is in both hand = increase hit chance :)

Yup, all weapons expect the pistol require both hands now, I may add that if pistol is in both hand = increase hit chance :)

Fantastic!  You never cease to impress.  Keep up the good work!

Also duct taping a flashlight to the end of a long weapon will exponentially increase the difficulty of holding it out straight and accurate. Weight at the end of a barrel is always a bad idea. Stuff like short assault rifles gets away with this because aiming with them is much more primitive and they aren't as long, so the effect of the weight isn't as big.

This might all be true. But it is a game and I think this is one of the cases where gameplay should come before realism.

I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to duct-tape a flashlight to his gun if he wants to.

I don't think this should be made a gameplay concession at all. Why should you give the player a completely unrealistic bonus to fighting at night, a time that's meant to be dangerous and scary? It's completely unrealistic and imho would detract from the quality of gameplay to a big extent. If there were some reason for it- something needing to be balanced, a gap that needed filling, etc. then maybe. But to just want it because someone suggested it with no further reasoning... might as well add laser rifles while we're at it =\

So ... you are saying people CAN'T duct-tape flashlights to their rifles in real life even if they wanted to? What kind of sorcery is this? Does the gun implode as soon as the flashlight is glued to it? :o

That's like saying people shouldn't be allowed to drink bleach in the game because it isn't a good idea in real life :P

Attach flashlight -> Accuracy - 0.5 -> Problem Solved.

What about grip/front grip ? Is it common, does it help with aiming time needed (when in standing stance) ? (for rifle/shotgun ?)

Grips are always a good thing RJ. Also different stocks :)

One thing I'd recommend is being able to equip a flashlight in your secondary slot if your primary is a handgun. Make a cross out of your arms with your flashlight hand supporting the gun hand while also pointing the light directly ahead. That would give you increased accuracy during night, if darkness induced an accuracy penalty.

No, I'm saying if you duct tape a flashlight to a rifle it won't help you light up anything you're shooting at and will vastly decrease your accuracy.

So sure, let them do it, and reduce accuracy by 95%. Bleach at least is common sense, most people would have no idea about this and would try it. It would be a noob trap that tremendously reduced gameplay value and frustrates people. You could also let them duct tape an anvil to their gun- after all, you can do that in real life, too.

I'm failing to see how duct taping an anvil to a gun relates to duct taping something the size of Maglite mini or your generic small flashlight onto a gun. Especially when you consider that attaching lights  to a weapon using a rail system is not exactly an unusual thing to do. Or is a rail somehow so magical that it is completely fine, whereas a solidly taped light isn't?