Drinking from ponds/pools/rivers and the addition of ponds/pools/rivers to the game

Cl0nec0mmand0

Would you like this?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I think you should add ponds pools and rivers to allow you to drink when water runs out the only problem that these all have a chance to make you sick, also you should be able but them in bottles and boil the infected water the pond/river water to lower/remove the chance of the sickness while pool water which would be closer to houses and your base will still be dangerous by the chlorine in the pools.

I think this will be implemented as soon as we get bodies / flows of water on the map (I think there has already been some kind of water on a sneak peek of an upcoming map expansion).

We will probably need to boil water collected from these sources, and contaminated / stagnant pools will likely be dangerous even if you do that.

I'm pretty happy with the rain barrels we now have (clyde)

I think you should add ponds pools and rivers to allow you to drink when water runs out the only problem that these all have a chance to make you sick, also you should be able but them in bottles and boil the infected water the pond/river water to lower/remove the chance of the sickness while pool water which would be closer to houses and your base will still be dangerous by the chlorine in the pools.

I like the thought here of making water more accessible but also more risky.

Possibly introduction water purifying tablets on random drops like around the log cabins etc?

Rain Barrels?  Are these in the current release?  Can you grab these and bring them with you?

They are in the current forum build (2.9.9.15), yes. You can craft them from day 1. You can't move them (there are smaller containers for that) but you can build them anywhere. The only issue at the moment is that when you take water out of one, it seems to drain all the barrels simultaneously. It's still a good source of water for drinking and irrigation.

Possibly introduction water purifying tablets on random drops like around the log cabins etc?

Good idea. We could also have (craftable) purification kits that work by solar power (like the ones they have on lifeboats). These produce a relatively small amount of drinking water. For watering your crops, most flowing water would be fine as is.

I like this idea. In reality drinking from pools and rivers isn't THAT dangerous, certainly not when compared to zombification, but it could get you sick. It should be balanced so that you'd drink from water if you're thirsty and have no better source of water. But if you do drink from it every chance you get you're likely to get sick once or twice over the course of a game, leading to flatulence nausea and very low energy.

It'd also be nice if we could get some antibiotics in the game to battle this problem.

leading to flatulence nausea and very low energy.

It'd also be nice if we could get some antibiotics in the game to battle this problem.

Haha, I can already see it... Trying to sneak past a horde, when *toot* :D Heads turn the noise...

leading to flatulence nausea and very low energy.

Haha, I can already see it... Trying to sneak past a horde, when *toot* :D Heads turn the noise...

Having worked with cryptosporidium (and its unfortunate sufferers) at uni...i can say with certainty that the *toot* would be more a kin to "uh...oh gawd...what the ...*BLEEUUUGGGHHH BLEEEUGGHHHH" *toot* *splurge splash crash erupt*.......*zombies pick up smell and walk away*

remember kids...never drink from a none spring source....

I like this idea. In reality drinking from pools and rivers isn't THAT dangerous, certainly not when compared to zombification, but it could get you sick. It should be balanced so that you'd drink from water if you're thirsty and have no better source of water. But if you do drink from it every chance you get you're likely to get sick once or twice over the course of a game, leading to flatulence nausea and very low energy.

what if you have a chance to be zombiefied from the water eh? (clyde)

I don't like home made solar powered items for reasons I've said before, but in short "average baldspot guy" (and likely the vast majority of you) could never craft a home made functional solar powered anything. They're finicky to work with and fragile.

On the other hand, you can buy (loot) a variety of solar powered devices - including lamps and battery chargers - that are ready to use out of the box. You can even get such things in supermarkets these days.

DIY kits and panel arrays are more complicated but are hardly rocket science. I've installed a panel in my car recently to keep the battery at peak charge - it was a very simple job. Using solar panels to power a home may require above average knowledge, but nothing you couldn't learn with a good book and some trial and error. Most of the panels are manufactured with highly resistant protective coating (since they often have to stand up to the elements of 4 seasons), some of them are even flexible. They are not especially fragile, you just need to avoid damaging their key parts to maintain functionality.

Also: the solar power I was referring to in this case is simply the use of evaporation and condensation. It's an extremely low-tech way to purify water that works mostly by itself. Fill with water, put it out in the sun, check later for clean water.

can we keep this on water not solar powered stuff please?

It has been announced that there will be water on the next map (West Point). You'll be able use those water cells to mod in pools or ponds or whatever. Rain barrels will be fixed in the next update. What else is there to say about water?

Water purifying without boiling is as "simple" as this. All you need is: a hot sunny day, a plastic sheet, some rocks, a shovel, a bucket or a small open container and of course the water.

Dig the hole (with the shovel duh...) and pour your water in. Place the cup, bucket or whatever on the bottom of the hole. cover the hole with the sheet and place rocks around it so that it doesn't fall in the hole. Put one rock in the middle of the sheet so that it bends a little downwards. Then wait.

The sun heats up the water in the bottom of the hole and it condensates on the sheet. Then it drifts to the middle part which is lowered by the rock and drips in to the bucket.

The downside is that if it's not sunny you'll lose all of your water to the ground. And even if it is sunny you'll probably lose most of your water into the soil. But the main point here is that it works and could be a similar add-on as the rain barrels. It is a pretty well known survival technique...

http://youtu.be/4sqRvUzqDCE Here's the same idea on a smaller scale.

Also a nice mod idea for you somewhat more experienced modders out there. (when of course rivers etc. are in...)

Water purifying without boiling is as "simple" as this. All you need is: a hot sunny day, a plastic sheet, some rocks, a shovel, a bucket or a small open container and of course the water.

This is a MacGuyver variant of the "solar power" purifier I mentioned before. They have ready-made kits for this on lifeboats, for example (to desalinate seawater). Water => vapor => clean water => profit

This is a MacGuyver variant of the "solar power" purifier I mentioned before. They have ready-made kits for this on lifeboats, for example (to desalinate seawater). Water => vapor => clean water => profit

Thought you meant solar panels when you said solar power, vs. just "the power of the sun." I could plausibly see that adding. Solar panels will now and forever be a big no from me, though. Say what you will, I've seen people trying to set up solar stuff and failing miserably (with the instructions). I've worked with them before and they are quite finicky and especially trying to jury-rig something is quite challenging. I hardly think the amount of DIY solar panel sets with convenient instructions would be a common enough find in Muldraugh, KY to pass the test to be added to the game. But again, that's just my take on it.