Realistic Kentucky Firearms Mod 2.26

Pravus

Hello Pravus

First and foremost: thank you for creating this mod and taking your time to keep it updated. It's really nice to have modders like you sticking around with PZ :)

I'm having some troubles and questions about your mod (I'm using Build 28 and reload difficulty set on Easy)

1-) I started a new survival game a week ago using your mod. Now that you've updated it to 2.1, can I keep playing my old save or I have to start all over again?

2-) When I played your previous version of the mod, I found and stockpiled around 7 pistols and respective ammo. I heard your mod disables the standard pistol and shotgun, but so far I've fond a lot of pistols. Was there something wrong with my game?

3-) After I updated your mod to 2.1, I didn't disable it from the mods menu in the game first (I just deleted the old folder and pasted the new, updated folder). Then I launched the game, disabled the mod, reenabled it and restarted the game. Is there any problem with this?

4-) I decided to test the new guns in a game of Last Stand. I found a standard pistol and shotgun in the crates, but I couldn't reload the handgun and couldn't even interact with the shotgun. When I fired my empty pistol, it made a quick succession of "clicks" as if the gun is empty, but fast as a machine gun. Is this a bug?

5-) I realized that maybe the loot in Last Stand wasn't randomized, so I started a quick new-game in Sandbox and rushed to the Gun Range. There I found lots of ammo boxes, but almost everywhere I looted there were only Hunting Knives and just two guns. The same happened in West Point's Police Station. EVERY gun locked was filled with Hunting Knives and not a single gun. I set the loot to "Abundant". Will the guns spawn normally on my Survival game or I'll have to start a new game?

6-) My accuracy is crappy to the point of shooting 15 rounds point-blank at a Zed before killing him. Is this result of the new Build 28 gun mechanics or it's a feature of RKF?

7-) Lastly, do you have or could provide us with a list of the guns and their respective ammunition? I'm not a gun nut and I find very hard to match a gun with it's corresponding ammo type. I know the basics, but some guns I have no idea which kind of ammo do I need.

Thank you for your attention and sorry for the long list of noob issues

Hello Pravus

First and foremost: thank you for creating this mod and taking your time to keep it updated. It's really nice to have modders like you sticking around with PZ :)

I'm having some troubles and questions about your mod (I'm using Build 28 and reload difficulty set on Easy)

Thanks so much for the praise!  I'm glad you're enjoying the mod so far!  I'll do my best to answer each of your questions to the best of my understanding:

1.) Updating the mod release usually entails extensive changes to item properties and/or mod scripts so usually I would say that you would need to start a new game each time you download an update.  That said, however, 2.1 primarily consisted of bugfixes and the new options added to the construct menu so as far as I'm aware continuing a v2.0 save with the v2.1 update should work without much incident.

2.) RKF disables the spawning of standard PZ pistols, rifles, shotguns and their respective ammunition.  If you installed the mod on a game already in progress though this may not fully operate as intended and any/all guns and ammo collected before installation will not be deleted.

3.) Updating this way is perfectly fine!  I've actually done the same thing myself a few times when testing features during development and I've never noticed any sort of issue.  The only time this could potentially cause problems is upgrading mod versions to a game in progress if the update makes significant changes to the mod script.  This can, and usually, does corrupt save files with the dreaded "black body, bright world" glitch, making them unusable from then on.  (Again, in this instance though you should be fine.  2.1 didn't include any major script restructuring that would effect already spawned items and/or currently active systems)

4.) Last stand certainly will not behave properly if attempted with RKF active.  Many of the mod scripts are based off of core PZ code that includes scripted "kill switches" disabling their operation in that game mode.  In order to achieve a reasonable firearms spawn level (past versions using the standard distribution system have produced *far too many* guns for my and most players liking even on very rare loot settings), I had to use an alternative distribution script shown to me by fellow forum members and mod creators, Talksintext and NCrawler.  This new system gives me a great deal more control over firearm distribution levels and is intended to make stockpiling of firearms and ammo difficult.  As a result of the way its currently written however, influence on firearms and ammunition spawns are not affected by the games sandbox "loot level" option like other items in the PZ world.  In effect, a player with "Abundant" loot mode will find the same number of guns and ammo spawning as a player using the "Very rare" setting and vice versa.

5.) Much of my explanation of this is already covered in 4.).  Firearms out and about in the community now spawn very rarely and ammo is very, very scarce.  This is by design.  Places like the Police Department and gunstore, however, have had their loot chances set to be much more likely to produce stockpiles of weapons and ammo for those who are willing to risk the trip and haul back their discovery.  Even so, their loot levels are a fraction of what they were utilizing the standard PZ distribution system and, though decent ammo supplies are readily more likely to spawn at such locations, firearms themselves are kept at a relatively low spawn chance to preserve a sense of balance and value.

That said, the fact that you found hunting knives consistently (as well as the previously mentioned pistol and ammo) but nothing else at some of those locations does seem to indicate that something may not have installed or activated correctly.

6.) This is entirely due to the new ranged weapon mechanics introduced by Build 28.  While I have tweaked the settings to make them slightly less punishing than the standard PZ experience now, you will see much higher miss rates with most firearms.  Of particular note is the need to wait a bit before firing "to aim" according to the new system's parameters and to recognize the effect of gun recoil now.  Rapidly firing at low aiming skill at any range now, due to these factors, will cause you to miss very, very frequently.  You can read more about the changes here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9432-the-new-ranged-weapon-system/

7.) A list of all included firearms (with exception of the few ultra-rare spawns that I like players to see if they can discover on their own) and their corresponding ammunition caliber can be found in the first post of this thread in the mod's description.  I've had several people ask me to label the weapons in game with their ammunition type but personally I think it adds to the challenge to have to either grab a gun and hope you have the right ammo on hand or do the necessary research to be sure yourself.  Its just a personal preference that I've stuck by to this point.

I hope that answers all of your queries satisfactorily!  No need for apologies at all.  Those are all valid questions and I appreciate you taking enough interest to check with me to find out.  Thanks for playing with RKF and let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns in the future!

Aw, awesome! Thank you very much!

I'm getting the hangs of the aiming system now. Unfortunately, I had to start a new save because there were happening some issues ("reload" option was available to RKF guns even if it had no compatible ammo in the inventory, sometimes when I reloaded a gun I couldn't use it anymore), but it's all good now, everything runs perfectly the way it was intended to.

About the Sandbox save I created, I mistakenly said I found only knives and pistols when, in fact, I only found knives and some custom guns from your mod. I didn't find any standard gun or ammo, so this led me to believe everything about the mod's installation is fine.

Once again, thanks for all your informative and helpful answers!

I am playing mod 2.1 with build 28 on mac.

I have found that mags are not stacking on normal reload. Also, I had one of the .22 rifles and I found that is was extremely inaccurate (1 hit in 10 shots) although that may be build 28. I have not played the build without your mod running. Hope this helps. 

I am playing mod 2.1 with build 28 on mac.

I have found that mags are not stacking on normal reload. Also, I had one of the .22 rifles and I found that is was extremely inaccurate (1 hit in 10 shots) although that may be build 28. I have not played the build without your mod running. Hope this helps. 

Any reload issues are likely due to differences in the core PZ shared/Reloading folder files and the the moddable version I basically tripped my way into getting to work for v2.02.  I've since had a chance to go through them more in depth and (granted that new hotfixes to IWBUMS or changes on Build 28 publish don't make any more major changes) I've already prepared a 100% fixed version of the script for the next update.

The loss in accuracy is a product of the new ranged weapons system implemented by Build 28.  Basically the changes mean all characters will have very, very poor accuracy until they get at least 1-2 points in aiming and, even then, you must wait a bit between shots with most guns to allow for your character to "adjust their aim."  Read here for a full explanation of the changes: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9432-the-new-ranged-weapon-system/

Its been recommended by the dev team (and having seen all the code firsthand, I both understand why and agree) that most characters should stick to shotguns for the first point or two of aiming.  They have a much higher hit rate scripted to them currently than pistols or rifles.  Also, don't discount the benefits of weapon attachments now.  Having the right attachments on your chosen firearm can make accuracy and efficiency much higher in short order.

Thanks for the feedback though!  Always nice to see players who want to help improve the mod's future development!

Since I started a new game with your updated mod, I'm having a blast! Everything is working perfectly! I've only noticed a few issues:

Are the Rain Parkas supposed to keep you totally dry? I've been using them a lot, but I only get the "damp" moodlet, I don't get drenched or wet, just damp. Now I don't know if this is because I'm a park ranger or it's the way the parkas work.

I can't use prescription stimulants. Everytime I "take a pill", the action bar pops but it doesn't reduce the number of "uses" I have, therefore it doesn't reduce my fatigue no matter how many times I try to take the pills.

Do you plan to add custom gun models to the game? I mean, those who show up when you equip the weapons. I've only seen the "pistol" and "shotgun" model. Did you add the new rifle model as well or just these two?

EDIT: Disregard the first question. I just found out that it's currently impossible to import custom models or sprites into the game

EDIT2: Aaand disregard the first "issue" as well. I read about it on your first post. My bad, heh.

Since I started a new game with your updated mod, I'm having a blast! Everything is working perfectly! I've only noticed a few issues:

I can't use prescription stimulants. Everytime I "take a pill", the action bar pops but it doesn't reduce the number of "uses" I have, therefore it doesn't reduce my fatigue no matter how many times I try to take the pills.

Did you add the new rifle model as well or just these two?

I'll look into the issue with the stimulant pills.

I've added custom sounds and icon sprites for the firearms introduced by RKF but currently there is no practical way to manipulate their models (aside from switching them between different stock PZ models already in the client).  That said, there is no rifle model yet.  The Indie Stone development team has stated that they will be adding one eventually but, in the interest of time and efficiency, for now all rifles share the same model as shotguns.  This is likely because creation of a new model, skinning it, and bug testing for rendering flaws would have extended the development time of Build 28 and Indie Stone didn't want to push back the IWBUMS release for something so superficial.

*Update: I can confirm the errant behavior by the stimulant pills but unfortunately I haven't found an immediate solution for it (I think the devs changed the method by which ISTakePillAction.lua directs the client to handle "pill" item properties).  I'll keep playing around with potential fixes but, if I can't find anything in a timely manner, I may just disable them for now in the next version release.

Edited by Pravus

Sorry to bother you once more Pravus but I think i found another (possible) issue:

I made fresh concrete with a bucket of water + concrete powder, acquired a screwdriver but I can't build anything from the "construct" menu. I tried building a concrete floor and a cinderblock wall, but whenever I clicked somewhere to start building it, the structure's "ghost" stood there for a moment, but my character didn't move towards it nor began constructing it. After a few seconds the "ghost" would fade, as if I had cancelled the action.

I even tried to equip the screwdriver at my primary slot, but the issue persisted.

I'll try to build something that doesn't involve concrete (like metal shelves) and report back with the results. Maybe there's something wrong with the concrete (I need one "concrete" to build a floor, but whenever I make concrete all I get is 4 "fresh concrete")?

Sorry to bother you once more Pravus but I think i found another (possible) issue:

I made fresh concrete with a bucket of water + concrete powder, acquired a screwdriver but I can't build anything from the "construct" menu. I tried building a concrete floor and a cinderblock wall, but whenever I clicked somewhere to start building it, the structure's "ghost" stood there for a moment, but my character didn't move towards it nor began constructing it. After a few seconds the "ghost" would fade, as if I had cancelled the action.

I even tried to equip the screwdriver at my primary slot, but the issue persisted.

I'll try to build something that doesn't involve concrete (like metal shelves) and report back with the results. Maybe there's something wrong with the concrete (I need one "concrete" to build a floor, but whenever I make concrete all I get is 4 "fresh concrete")?

Not a bother at all.  I'm glad to have the feedback letting me know when something isn't operating as intended!  I'll take a look at the system right away and see what I can find out.

Ah, I found the issue! I needed to have, besides the screwdriver, a hammer in my inventory to build a metal shelf or a concrete floor.

As far as I've seen, the screwdriver only allows for the "construct" menu to appear. I still need a hammer to build objects, even those that were supposed to be made using the screwdriver.

Not sure if this was an intended feature (the screwdriver only unlock the new menu, but I still need a hammer to build things), but I didn't knew about this (I assumed only the screwdriver would be enough)  ;)

Ah, I found the issue! I needed to have, besides the screwdriver, a hammer in my inventory to build a metal shelf or a concrete floor.

As far as I've seen, the screwdriver only allows for the "construct" menu to appear. I still need a hammer to build objects, even those that were supposed to be made using the screwdriver.

Not sure if this was an intended feature (the screwdriver only unlock the new menu, but I still need a hammer to build things), but I didn't knew about this (I assumed only the screwdriver would be enough)  ;)

I just tracked it down and discovered the same thing.  This was not meant to be the way the system works.  If you have a screwdriver or multitool you should be able to see the menu *and* perform any construction for which you have the proper materials.  It seems some code was either recently changed or added in ISBuildingObject.lua that was causing this requirement.  It's been corrected now.

Since we've had several bugs reported in the past few days (of which I'm greatly appreciative to all of you who alert me when you find these problems!  Keep up the good work!), I'm going to go ahead and release a mini-update with all of the repaired scripts so everyone doesn't have to put up with these issues until the next version release.  I should have it up for download shortly.

*Update posted!  New version with all bug fixes included is version 2.11!

Edited by Pravus

First of all, thank you a lot for this awesome mod!!!

That being said, i think i found an error in your new (and great) distribution file that prevents modification-spawning in the gunstore.

You refer to the "gunstoreUpgradeTable" in the fill-shelves-in-storage-function (Line 700), the actual table meanwhile is called "GunstoreUpgradesTable" further below (Line 1290). I changed the table name and now upgrades spawn (something else may be broken, did not notice if thats the case) :)

>> EDIT: Found an issue, the displaycase-function refers to "gunstoreUpgradesTable", did not spawn upgrades for me before. will try if that works now.

>> EDIT 2 WITH FIX: confirmed working for me, weaponupgrades now spawn in the gunstore storage and the gun display cases (running ApocalypseEdition 2.11 and latest PZ IWBUMS). Fixed it the following way:

> 1) in zRKFDistribution.lua [PZmodfolder]\RKFmodAE\media\lua\server\Items i made the following changes:

> 2) changed the Table name (down at the bottom) from "GunstoreUpgradesTable" to "gunstoreUpgradeTable"

> 3) in the elseif operation "_roomName == "gunstore" and _containerType == "displaycase" then" (Line 677)

changed several "gunstoreUpgradesTable" to "gunstoreUpgradeTable" (did not work before because of case-sensitivity perhaps)

I hope that the fact that without previous lua knowledge i spend hours going through the files to adjust itemspawning to my liking (sorry for that, i assume you did the same in the first place to balance values) shows how much i appreciate your work.

Your mod is, as stated before AWESOME and i hope you continue your excellent work! the new distribution system is way better then before btw, thank you again for that effort in particular.

Greeting from Germany!!

First of all, thank you a lot for this awesome mod!!!

That being said, i think i found an error in your new (and great) distribution file that prevents modification-spawning in the gunstore.

You refer to the "gunstoreUpgradeTable" in the fill-shelves-in-storage-function (Line 700), the actual table meanwhile is called "GunstoreUpgradesTable" further below (Line 1290). I changed the table name and now upgrades spawn (something else may be broken, did not notice if thats the case) :)

Your mod is, as stated before AWESOME and i hope you continue your excellent work! the new distribution system is way better then before btw, thank you again for that effort in particular.

Greeting from Germany!!

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I apologise for not responding in a timely manner to your post but I was out of town for a few days and just now returned home.  That was definitely an error I overlooked and I'm glad to have someone alert me to my mistake!  I've made the changes to the script and I'll be sure to credit you in the Version History notes.

I'm glad to know so many people are enjoying this mod and thanks so much for the praise!

Hello!

Once more I found some minor, somewhat unobtrusive, cosmetic issues regarding some added items from the "construct" menu.

First is when I'm trying to build a Gun Locker. It's placement is okay when it's facing north or west, but not when south or east oriented. It seems to overlay with the wall, preventing it's construction.

Secondly, there seems to be some sort of "invisible walls" at the front or at the side of some structures. The one I noticed are the metal shelves (I can't move forward in the picture. There is an invisible wall right on it's side) (plus, I can't build metal shelves facing south. it won't show up on the building phase nor when it's finished), the cinderblock pillars (In the picture I'm unable to move forward) and chainlink posts (forgot to take picture, sorry!). If I rotate them before building the pillars, I can't place walls or fences at their sides (looks like the "invisible wall" rotated as well).

Finally, there are some minor cosmetic issues with the cinderblock walls and pillars. With the walls, there is a wide gap between horizontal and vertical oriented walls and the pillar's bases overlay with the second floor tiles and objects (they're a little longer at the bottom).

I think it's important to say that I'm using RKF version 2.1, not 2.11. I don't know if those issues were corrected in 2.11 (if they were, sorry for bothering you). I chose to wait to upgrade RKF until some new things or fatal bug fixes are packed in (or build 28 is officially released), because I don't feel like abandoning my current base and creating a new survivor at the moment :P

Hello Pravus! I've been monitoring your mod for a while, and I thought it was time to go check it out! It's great! A lot of new things to try.

But I'm having a problem, that really annoys me. I chose the Apocalypse edition, but for some reason, I couldn't "unfold"/"Unsheath" knifes?.. Also, I couldn't open the 22. round boxes? What's wrong?...

Again, great mod. :)

Hello Pravus! I've been monitoring your mod for a while, and I thought it was time to go check it out! It's great! A lot of new things to try.

But I'm having a problem, that really annoys me. I chose the Apocalypse edition, but for some reason, I couldn't "unfold"/"Unsheath" knifes?.. Also, I couldn't open the 22. round boxes? What's wrong?...

Again, great mod. :)

It seems the latest updates introduced to build 28 IWBUMS branch has broken some of my recipe functionality.  I'm working on it right now and I'll have a patch released asap.

*Updated to v2.12!  Problem should be fixed now!  Let me know if you find anyother major issues.

Edited by Pravus

Hey Pravus, refes here :) At first i want to say this is a very extended mod and I'm very happy with it now but

This "unbox" and "unfold" thing isn't working in my game aswell... I got *of course* the updated version of the rkfmAE and some other mods running but they should not conflict in any way with each other..

so I want to call for help here :o-/-<

Best regards from (guess from where, yes.. of course) Germany :)

Hey Pravus, refes here :) At first i want to say this is a very extended mod and I'm very happy with it now but

This "unbox" and "unfold" thing isn't working in my game aswell... I got *of course* the updated version of the rkfmAE and some other mods running but they should not conflict in any way with each other..

so I want to call for help here :o-/-<

Best regards from (guess from where, yes.. of course) Germany :)

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this.  I was out of town and had no internet access for a couple of days.  I'll take a look and see if I can find any errant behavior or script but lately much of these issues have been caused by changes to the IWBUMS build 28 code introduced in hotfixes.  Version 2.12 (the currently downloadable version in this thread) should already have any fixes required to correct the recipe system not working correctly already implemented.  

If you have that version already, unfortunately, I have received some reports from players who upgraded their mod version without starting a new game having issues like this.  While the mod doesn't not always include significant enough changes to require starting a new game every time you upgrade, in this case (as I've seen firsthand in private bug-testing) the client seems to remember some portions of script from before the hotfixes even after the client is updated to hotfix #3.  This inability to recognize the change in code without starting from scratch seems to cause any number of serious bugs with RKF installed at the present time.

The good news (though I recognize this may be cold comfort to someone with a long running save or a particularly cherished character) is that all the players who have reported this happening to them have found that the mod works as intended once a new game is started in every case I've attempted to help with this matter.

Let me know if this is currently affecting you and I'll look for other potential errors I may have missed in the meantime.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

*Update: loaded up a new game on the IWBUMS build 28 hotfix #3 version of the client with the RKFmod v2.12 (the version currently available for download) mod installed and was not able to reproduce the errant behavior you described.  Can you provide any more information as to what operating system, build version of the PZ client, and mods you have installed concurrently?

Edited by Pravus

Okay Pravus, I'll try with reinstalling it and then with the clean game I'll try. I got the 28th build of PZ, the Building Mod, Mind Mod (This one was just for fun and I'll push it off my disk so this one is just temporally.) and the Erosion Mod.

And I don't have any problems with creating a new character so don't worry about this ^^ I tried many times creating a new game but nothing.

(This Laptop is just a substitute, I got another one with win7 64-bit Ultimate Edition)

32-Bit Win7 Operation system Service Pack 1

AAAAAND the updated version of this mod (2.12)

;)  refes

*Updated to v2.2: Lots of optimizations and new sound effects added to various actions to enhance immersiveness!

Normal and Hardcore difficulties are now 100% functional (the only thing still not working is high capacity magazines don't seem to want to apply the bonus capacity properly so they've been temporarily disabled)!  Either difficulty setting now highly recommended for extra challenge and realism!

At what rate is the aiming skill supposed to increment at? I'm unsure whether its the latest patch or this mod (ah, or if this the normal rate), but at the moment killing a zombie only nets 1xp in the skill. This is with a police officer, so it may be down to their trait effecting things, but it does seem like a poor amount. In last stand mode with this mod off and the latest patch the rate's something like 5xp per kill, but I can't test the game in the same mode with your mod on due to the weapon changes. 

Uh, so any ideas about this? I'll see if I can be definite that its this particular mod that is the cause, so sorry in advance if I'm being a git. Heh, but if it is, well with the rarity of ammunition for your guns I'll probably have run out of bullets well before I reach level 2 of aiming. ;)