Weapon Overhaul or Add new guns

Unamelable

I don't like the fact that we don't have a lot of variety out of all of them. I can't play without the Vanila Expansion because there are so few good guns in the game. Many ideas from there can be safely implemented in the base game, such as the ability to add a belt to all "long" guns. Or add sights to all guns.

Need I say that the game dramatically lacks silencers? Probably only a lazy modder has not added them to the modpack. It's comical because you can't use guns properly without attracting the attention of the entire city in a zombie damn apocalypse.

It would also make sense to add barrel flashlights on pistols and rifles. It would be logical to change their battery.

The game severely lacks crossbows or bows. Of all the long-range weapons (especially silent ones) we have only a single 36. special revolver.

I really hope this gets added soon because I'm really sick of killing zombies with axes

Edited by Unamelable

I agree we need more guns like the AR 15 which was and still is more common than an m16.

An AR 15 is just a sporting semi automatic only civilian variant of the M16. Much more common back in 1993 to this day.

Be nice to find tons of those along with the corresponding ammo and magazines than having to travel all the way to the military checkpoint at Louisville.

Also I recommend adding the AK 47, Ruger mini 24, Browning auto 5 (game desperately needs a semi auto shotgun), Glock pistol (these are reliable), mosin nagant (blast enemies from far away), etc.

23 hours ago, Nowthere27 said:

I agree we need more guns like the AR 15 which was and still is more common than an m16.

An AR 15 is just a sporting semi automatic only civilian variant of the M16. Much more common back in 1993 to this day.

Be nice to find tons of those along with the corresponding ammo and magazines than having to travel all the way to the military checkpoint at Louisville.

Also I recommend adding the AK 47, Ruger mini 24, Browning auto 5 (game desperately needs a semi auto shotgun), Glock pistol (these are reliable), mosin nagant (blast enemies from far away), etc.

If it doesn't interfere with the 1993 canon, and the Kentucky location then you can add them.

17 hours ago, Unamelable said:

If it doesn't interfere with the 1993 canon, and the Kentucky location then you can add them.

The AR-15 has been sold in the U.S. to civilians at least since the 1960s so it definitely fits within the timeline. 

As said, it'd be so nice to get something common that's like the M16 with the only drawback being no select fire/full auto.

I'm in Riverside and OH BOY having to drive all the way to Louisville is FAR to get an M16. 

• 1 month later...

They should also fix the M16 and allow it to also fire .223 rounds, and the MSR700 should also be able to fire 5.56 rounds, just with increased durability loss. For extra credit the sound and recoil should be slightly modified depending on the round, but at the least they should allow them to use the kinds of rounds that they actually can.

Edited by BoogieMan

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2023 at 5:49 AM, Unamelable said:

The game severely lacks crossbows or bows

Afaik craftable bows are coming soon(tm) 

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2022/08/slapdashdoid/

but also, i personally feel the lack of firearms is definitely noticeable, but probably intentional, you dont really need a large variety in weapons, most guns existing fire fairly similarly to one of the already existing guns.

new guns would just be stat re-arrangements of existing guns, an ak is an m16 with more damage and recoil, not exactly groundbreaking.

personally i’m fine with things stayjng as they are, i’ve used vanilla expanded once, and the variety was nice, but it was also a bit annoying to generally only have one or two of the same gun unless they were a re-skin of a vanilla gun (m9 or rs-500 i think) 

i just dont personally see it as an urgent matter

On 2/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, Copyafriend said:

Afaik craftable bows are coming soon(tm) 

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2022/08/slapdashdoid/

but also, i personally feel the lack of firearms is definitely noticeable, but probably intentional, you dont really need a large variety in weapons, most guns existing fire fairly similarly to one of the already existing guns.

new guns would just be stat re-arrangements of existing guns, an ak is an m16 with more damage and recoil, not exactly groundbreaking.

personally i’m fine with things stayjng as they are, i’ve used vanilla expanded once, and the variety was nice, but it was also a bit annoying to generally only have one or two of the same gun unless they were a re-skin of a vanilla gun (m9 or rs-500 i think) 

i just dont personally see it as an urgent matter

An AK47 isn't an M16 with more damage and recoil.

It has heavier bullets (which should affect carry weight in the game), it's less accurate (the m16 would be better distance wise), it's more reliable (should jam less) and tons of other real world characteristics that could be applied to the gameplay.

So yes this weapon would be worth adding to the game to add a unique gun that serves a characteristic no other gun serves.

Like I said having a semi-automatic shotgun like the Browning Auto 5 would fill the gap for a semi-automatic shotgun which I think the game could really use. Blast multiple zombies down really quick.

A PSG 1 sniper rifle would be nice. Shoot zombies from way across the map.

A submachine gun like the MP5 could having the firepower of a pistol the the fire rate of an assault rifle. Great for knocking down zombies with weak but numerus bullets.

The player could definitely use more sporting rifles in the game. As mentioned the AR15 would be the civilian semi automatic only sporting variant of the M16 which would be far more common.

So yeah more guns would always be a plus for more things to shoot zombies with each with their own characteristics to add to the game.

Gets kind of boring only having a few guns to shoot with and collect.

13 hours ago, Nowthere27 said:

It has heavier bullets

So more damage

it's less accurate

And less accurate.

and also more reliable?

i mean so it sounds to me, and i hate (sike) to be this sarcastic but:

its an m16, with some stats shuffled around, specifically with more damage, and less accuracy.

lol

but on a serious note, it does kinda highlight my point. while an AK-47 that would more reliably one tap zombies than the (actually disappointing) m16 would be nice, it’s not very meaningful as far as actual gameplay differences go, m16 is your “automatic” option. An ak-47 would just be generally an upgrade to an m-16, and found in different locations (not in the relatively end game army checkpoints). If we want an “upgrade” to the m16, it makes just as much sense to just rebalance the numbers on the gun.

for a 

sniper rifle would be nice

You could easily use an m14, msr 700 or msr 788 with a high zoom scope.

Gameplay wise? It would function identically. High damage relatively slow fire rate.

semi-automatic shotgun

This is the only weapon niche that isnt really filled, but honestly with the way shotguns work in this game, there may just be balance concerns.

its okay to agree to disagree, i just think the relatively small number of guns already in game fills the broad niches effectively, if not as well as i’d want (m16 should do as much damage if not more than the m14, why do i need to two tap zombies)

Also they have stated that they will NOT be adding specific guns that have copyrights, they dont want to deal with licensing. So they wont add the browning auto 5, but they might add a semi auto shotgun of some variety

Edited by Copyafriend

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need a lot more guns. All the guns listed were common in the US in this time period. Yes we need all the smaller calibers and 'redundant' ones too. Hunting various sized game, fowling, inexpensive aim training/target shooting. None are showboaty hollywood weapons that do not exist outside of films. 

• 7.62x39
    • SKS, AKM (semi and automatic)
  • 7.62x54R
    • Mosin 
  • 7.62x33
    • M1 Carbine
  • 7.62x51
    • AR10, M1A, M60, M240, M24 SWS
  • 7.62x63
    • M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield
  • 5.56 x 45
    • AR15, AR18, Blaser R93
  • .22LR
    • Marlin Papoose, Ruger 22 pistol, generic .22 bolt action, generic .22 lever action
  • 12GA
    • Auto 5, Saiga 12
  • 16GA
    • Generic shotgun
  • 20GA
    • Generic shotgun
    • Generic shotgun/revolver
  • 9x19
    • Saiga9, Tec9, Browning Hi Power, Ruger PC9, MP5 (SD variant as well)
  • .45 ACP
    • Thompson
  • .44 Mag
    • lever action
  • .270 Winchester 
    • Winchester Model 70
  • .45-70, .30-30
    • Generic lever action

We need more non-boom ranged weapons too, zombies are walking biohazards and people would not be using melee as their first resort to kill them. Slingshots would be incredibly common with wrist rockets being the best version. There would be many bows such as recurve, compound, and crossbows all with differing draw weights.

I agree that all this melee fighting is somewhat unrealistic but I don't think that bows or slingshots would be that common either in the first few days of the apocalypse, because why would they? The few survivors wouldn't be aware that the loud shooting attracts them from the neighbouring town as there was/is chaos right to the day we start. Most of the people in possession of a firearm would use it, I guess.

More firearms variation would be very much realistic I agree, but it doesn't do much gameplay wise so I would postpone it as there are a few mods that already fill this gap.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:20 AM, getstoopid said:

I agree that all this melee fighting is somewhat unrealistic but I don't think that bows or slingshots would be that common either in the first few days of the apocalypse, because why would they? The few survivors wouldn't be aware that the loud shooting attracts them from the neighbouring town as there was/is chaos right to the day we start. Most of the people in possession of a firearm would use it, I guess.

More firearms variation would be very much realistic I agree, but it doesn't do much gameplay wise so I would postpone it as there are a few mods that already fill this gap.

Slingshots are one of the most common toys you can find country kids playing with. Wrist rockets included. Bows would be common as well because of bow hunting. Its very easy to get arrows too. I can buy a bag of fletchings by the hundred from my tiny mom & pop hunting shop. 

I do want guns to be hilariously overpowered though when used properly with high character skill. I just think there needs to be more mechanics tied in with them that makes them harder to use in every way except aiming. This is how it would be irl. 

I came up with a nearly exhaustive list of very realistic and necessary considerations around the use of guns in a real life setting, they could easily be applied to a videogame. I thought of this all because the stuff on this list could be used to balance britas guns and near infinite ammo. Guns could be super overpowered but there would still be strong reasons not to use them which is how I think it should be.

• You would gradually and permanently go deaf shooting guns without hearing protection such as earplugs or earmuffs. Firing a gun indoors would realistically mean immediate deafness for in game days depending on the gun and some amount of permanent hearing loss. Fire a .308 indoors without earpro and you will hear the world ringing like your head is underwater for several days. This is the biggest thing working against guns in the real world and zomboid. 
  • Not accidentally shooting something or possibly yourself because you forgot to engage the safety before putting your gun away the last time you used it, or because you drew your pistol under great stress without any training. This happens a lot and is why gun safety and training is so important.
  • Training to properly operate the weapon under stress without looking at it (Cycling the bolt when reloading/rechambering, not fumbling your ammunition and dropping it while reloading walking backwards away from a horde, remembering to engage the safety with a hotkey before you put it away. 
  • Having enough magazines, because it is very hard to speedwalk around paying attention to your surroundings while packing a magazine. Packing magazines while walking would get you killed in game.
  • Guns ought to be much louder than they were. I dont know why house alarms or the heli event is louder. Even suppressed you can hear a 5.56 gunshot from hundreds of meters away even if you are not getting shot at. Brass Facts on youtube proved this. Also if the gun is pointed at you, its just as loud as it is if it were unsuppressed because that sound is still coming out of the muzzle with the bullet. Zombies would still be drawn from full distance in the direction you fired even if you have a suppressor, and they will also be drawn the sonic crack of the bullet. 
  • Being mindful of the direction you are shooting in. So many people in this game shoot at hordes towards their vehicle. It doesnt have any bad effects but people don't realize they are firing a gun towards their vehicle. 
  • Having good magazines, because any bit of damage to a magazine will cause malfunctions way more than having a dirty/worn gun will. The magazine is more important than the gun when it comes to reliability. 

Besides cosmetic - there really isn't any purpose to add so many guns \ calibers

Since the weapon combat system is essentially RNG. RNG whether you hit, RNG whether you kill

For example just using

Rifle \ Pistol - ammo no caliber but with;

AP Round -> HIgher chance of destroying limbs of zombies \ Goes through armored heads of zombies

JHP Round -> HIgher chance of killing Zombie due to severe damage

Normal Round -> No Bonus

Shotgun has  

Slug -> Knockback + high damage

Buckshot -> Higher chance of Limb Dismemberment

Birdshot -> Plentiful \ Low damage