Bitten through unbroken car window

scarfedelectrode

I just got bitten whilst driving in my car. There were a group of zombies on my left hand side, and I was driving into the bottom right corner of the screen (i.e. I couldn't see the condition of the window the zombies were banging on). I heard the bite noise, then saw I got bitten twice.

I assumed that the car window must have broken without me realising and they bit me through it. However, when I drove off and checked, not only is the window not broken it doesn't even show any damage. I checked the window condition via the vehicle menu and it is not broken.

How did I get bit? Is this some sort of weird feature where zombies can now bite you through partially broken windows? I can't imagine it would be as only the windshield is really that damaged and all the zombies were on the left hand side. See the pictures.

I have no mods installed, but feel like I'm within my rights to install a cheatmenu and save my char? Bit disappointed, really.

20220814183249_1.jpg

20220814183254_1.jpg

20220814184735_1.jpg

I have also had this problem before, I have tried a lot to replicate it but have not yet managed to.

I only have a single recording of it happeneng, but it is somewhaat unclear.

It happened before that aswell, but i didn't realise it only after. And so when i noticed that bite sound effect was real and my scarf was destroyed, i just put it up to "maybe it was due to it taking longer to get in the car now". 

But no, something is indeed causing zombies to bite/attack players behind car windows. I will continue efforts to replicate it.

Managed to replicate it, semi-regularly. 

Took a couple hours of messing around, but i managed to somehow keep reproducing it.

While I'm not exactly sure why, but they can indeed bite even with windows up and everything. I woud not recommend getting stuck in a car, in general be a lot more careful with them.

Is there some player action involved like yana said so the door is open while driving or does it just happen sometimes despite closing everything?

@Yana M.D.is there any way to prevent this from happening or at least somehow see that the door is actually open to close it properly? As I can not really close the door or leave it open on purpose I find it somewhat strange that the idea of an "open" door while driving even exist...

Like stated above this happens if you press any other key while entering vehicle, make sure the action is complete before opening map, pressing ESC and so. As the game doesn't have the "open door" animation right now there is no other indicator that can help determine interruption. This issue is known and will be addressed in the future.

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, Yana M.D. said:

Like stated above this happens if you press any other key while entering vehicle, make sure the action is complete before opening map, pressing ESC and so. As the game doesn't have the "open door" animation right now there is no other indicator that can help determine interruption. This issue is known and will be addressed in the future.

That's a different issue. That's more about leaving a door ajar. This, however, is about biting through closed, structurally-sound windows.

Which they can do. Zombies can bite you through undamaged, closed windows of vehicles, even when they're moving... It's a bug. Needs fixed.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, getstoopid said:

Is there some player action involved like yana said so the door is open while driving or does it just happen sometimes despite closing everything?

@Yana M.D.is there any way to prevent this from happening or at least somehow see that the door is actually open to close it properly? As I can not really close the door or leave it open on purpose I find it somewhat strange that the idea of an "open" door while driving even exist...

Getting in the car is a timed action, if it gets interrupted - like Yana describes - the door will remain opened (we're working on this!) One way to know that it's closed for sure is to wait for "door closed" sfx once in the car before pressing any other key.

Additionally, during the "getting into the car" and  "before the door is shut" char is vulnerable to bites and scratches from zeds. At this stage the char might not be visible but - since there are no anims to show this to player - they're in the process of getting into the car with the door open - so zeds can land an attack. In other words, it is not a good idea to enter the car with zeds surrounding it. Hope this helps!

This happened to me just last night. I was traveling and parked the car with doors lock, windows up, and engine running. Time lapse and a zombie appears , like 100 times before. I just drive off and run him over and be done. So, I'm pulling over to sleep and it tells me I'm in too much pain to sleep. Guess what? My health tell me I've been bitten on my left hand. I had not gotten out of the car, nor rolled down the window, or anything else. The window was 100% on checking at a safe location. I don't understand how this could happen. It has to be a bug that should be addressed. It was very frustrating too, because it was a character I had kept alive longer than any other to date. I just love this game, by the way. It sucks this happened and I was very surprised to see I had been bitten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i just had something similar and got so confused. i was in my car with the window up, i was already inside; i stopped driving and checked the map (which might’ve been the problem) and a zombie came up and just bit me, no window bangs or glass broken

Can we have option to pause game automatically when watching map? This makes sense because character can read books of hundred pages long and we can still see surrounding.