Highlight/outline zombies and NPCs that are visible to character but blocked by environment.

Branduff

I know I've seen this in other isometric games, but I couldn't find an example for the life of me.  Basically I'm proposing an option to highlight or outline zombies and/or NPCs that are visible to the PC.  Ideally they would only be highlighted when being obscured by an environmental object such as walls, trees, furniture, etc.

What do you guys think?  Have I done a terrible job explaining?  I apologize if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find any similar suggestions.

Probably a good idea as I have had a few awkward deaths due to buildings being in the way of things my PC should be able to see. Not sure how difficult to implement but I think it should definitely find its way into the game.

Certainly a good idea, for buildings and structures at least.

Seeing outlines of the zombies in the woods however, would ruin the challenge of running blindly into the woods not knowing if you're going to run into a zombie horde or not.

I was actually thinking this outline hint would be a much more realistic when it comes to trees, which - especially in small clusters - rarely conceal a standing / moving, human sized shape that is in your line of sight. You could catch a glimpse of a shambling zombie even if it was behind a tree. Buildings and other structures on the other hand can easily block your view completely, delivering a genuine surprise when you turn a corner, open a door etc.

More than once I have been scratched by a lone zombie that I ran into passing through 2-3 loosely connected trees in otherwise open ground. Since then I've learned to avoid all kinds of foliage when running.

A good example would be the Age Of Empire series, which had outlined blue characters when hidden.

Eh,I suppose a REALLY subtle outline could do the trick for me.

A good example would be the Age Of Empire series, which had outlined blue characters when hidden.

Eh,I suppose a REALLY subtle outline could do the trick for me.

Those were good games but I think the outline color was dependent on your team color not just always blue.

I think it is a good idea as long as you can't see through walls as in I am indoors and nowhere near a window yet i can still see a horde outside.

I know I've seen this in other isometric games, but I couldn't find an example for the life of me.  Basically I'm proposing an option to highlight or outline zombies and/or NPCs that are visible to the PC.  Ideally they would only be highlighted when being obscured by an environmental object such as walls, trees, furniture, etc.

What do you guys think?  Have I done a terrible job explaining?  I apologize if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find any similar suggestions.

Very good idea it fits perfectly in my suggestion in an other thread ^_^