Space Station 13

Killer21334

I think I vaguely remember a SS13 thread on the forum, although having searched for it I haven't found any trace of it, so I'll assume that it was on the old forum and if it's not then I'm truly sorry for copying an old thread but I didn't find it here.

Anyway for those who don't know what Space Station 13 is(which is probably most of you, since SS13 isn't particularly famous), it's a sort of space station life simulator, and it's set in the future, where energy weapons, dark cults shape shifting aliens and arcane wizards all exist.

If that hasn't gotten your interest I don't know what will.

It's a very fun and yet extremely complex game, with countless hours worth of content and is for free, I strongly suggest you check it out if you haven't already.

As for those of us who have played it, do you have any interesting stories to share? 

@Killer21334: From where do you get it?

You need to download a BYOND client from here: "http://www.byond.com/" then you need to go to the server selection site from that link(Press Play, then select Space station 13) if you can't do that for some reason here's the link directly to the server list:"http://www.byond.com/games/Exadv1/SpaceStation13

I had a look at the video for it... the official one.

After about a minute of scenes cut from TV shows, with a voice over from some 'depressed space station captain', I closed the tab, hopefully never to open it again.

At first I was impressed, til I saw no original or in-game footage in the first half of the trailer.

Edit: I mean, come on, no gameplay footage at all in the trailer for an already released game?? How do we know what we are getting ourselves into?

Edited by Realmkeeper

Surprised nobody has come up yet with a Project Zomboid SS 13 server yet...

The only memorable story I have of SS13 is about me and a friend of mine who were both miners mining outside on the asteroid/moon. It was my mates first go as a miner so I was showing him the ropes. We ended up mining separate tunnels but we weren't far from one another; so after doing some digging I notice a lone miner coming up behind me with nothing in his hand.

I instantly get a bad feeling about this and I ask him what's he doing. Next thing he attacks me with some sort of pincer and I get paralyzed; then he proceeds to choke me while I try to shout out for help which doesn't do any good. He kills me and then he proceeds to do the same to my mate further down who I could have warned out of game, but decided against it. Turns out the killer was a changeling and we were his first victims.

Eventually my body gets discovered (my friends body got dumped floating into space, ha!) and a group of scientist players took my brain and ended up putting me into a security combat robot. I told them what had happened but I didn't know my killers name and more deaths were piling up so I went about the station in my new robotic form looking for my killer.

Fortunately, some dip-dob messed up in the viral lab and we all had to evacuate the station. I say fortunately because my changeling killer went banana's on the shuttle trying to kill everyone up until the point that I stunned him and pretty much everyone started kicking his head in.

Fun :P

Im really looking forward to the standalone thats currently being worked on

So am I, although, I don't expect it till 2015 :(

Devs update the blog every 6 months or so and the forums are somewhat empty.

I opened a SS13 thread earlier on these new forums when they first came up.

But yes, I love SS13. Its one of my GOTY every year games. I always play as Sec or Medical mainly because those are the most fun and see the most action. Either way, one great game you guys should check out. Its fantastic.

I recently had a pretty amazing round as a changeling, me and my allies quickly absorbed the chain of command and security, and then we began stealthily eliminating everyone else, we ended up killing all the crew members and none of them even knew what was happening

Yeah SS13 is pretty great. 

Used to host a server for it, was good times. Been a while though so I can never get back into it, since I never remember how to play.

Im really looking forward to the standalone thats currently being worked on

So am I, although, I don't expect it till 2015 :(

Devs update the blog every 6 months or so and the forums are somewhat empty.

There's going to be a standalone?

Just played it .... it looks fun but i dont get anything :o

It's very.... rough around the edges. The best advice I can give is try and find a new player friendly server and see if an admin will give you a quick rundown. 

Alternatively, being a wiki man and all, you could go check out their wiki guides, which I used to use for reference. http://wiki.ss13.eu/index.php/Guides

Watched a vid, read the wiki(Its really confusing, there's a bunch of different versions and servers, no idea what if what I know is up to date) will try to log in and hopefully not get killed within five minutes. Can any of you give me tips?

Watched a vid, read the wiki(Its really confusing, there's a bunch of different versions and servers, no idea what if what I know is up to date) will try to log in and hopefully not get killed within five minutes. Can any of you give me tips?

Be a janitor for the first couple of games, or at the very least be something low level. If you try going for Sceintist/Guard etc the server will hate you for lack of knowledge. See if the server has any admins willing to teach you anything, or if the server has a command new players can use.

Apart from that. prepare for some counter-intuitive gameplay.

Yep, just going for assistant, tried to join some games, all I got was:

A.Pitch black, walked around and could see a tiles randomly, oxygen warning came up, logged out.

B.On shuttle, pitch black outside, could see some space squares. Walked out of the shuttle, pitch black, logged.

C.Message about creating an account (doing it now)

All of those tries were on servers with no one.

Ps, game is not newbie friendly.