Gaming Mouse

Rathlord

So as some of you may know most of the time I play games on a trackpad. That's not been too much of a problem in the past- it's something I've learned to live with- but I have been thinking about making the jump to a gaming mouse.

I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank. $ 50 is probably the most I could afford right now. I need something with a lot of buttons, hopefully with button modifier support, and something that's not too awkward.

I'm kinda torn on whether to go for a standard mouse that you move about, or something like one of the old Kensington balls (do they still make 'em like that anymore) because I normally play with the lappy in my lap on the couch (so I don't have a lot of room for moving the mouse around).

Anyone have in suggestions on what I should buy? I'm open to pretty much anything. Love to hear what you guys have and how you're liking them.

Off-topic

Believe it or not, with a trackpad and an old Macbook I managed to get a Gladiator title and a Horde-first raid clear achievement in the same year- so I haven't been held back too much without a mouse XD The trackpad mainly struggles with shooters. I have an xbox controller, but obviously you just don't get the same accuracy of feedback with that, either.

I don't play WoW, but do play GW2 and LoL among other stuff and my Logitech M510 ( http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001822-M510-Wireless-Mouse/dp/B003NR57BY/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y ) has been sufficient for my needs. It has two easy-to-reach side buttons as well as two additional buttons on the scroll wheel, activated by pushing the wheel in either direction. I could see why you would want 12 buttons on your mouse for WoW, but it seems excessive and maybe a bit obtrusive for most other games. I've had my mouse for about two and a half years now and it still works like new even though I don't use a mousepad. You could probably also bind spells and actions using shift+buttons to up your button count from 5 to 12 too, but I'm not sure.

I just ended up getting the Naga Molten off of Amazon actually. The reason I went with that one is the placement of the two buttons that's usually in the middle (that looked incredibly awkward) is moved to being at the top left and looks much easier to use. Plus, it looks awesome XD

I considered the Logitechs and I know they make fantastic mice, too, but at the end of the day Razer is a little bit better features and they only do gaming mice. Plus, I've heard from several people that their warrantee work is fantastic. Here's hoping I like it!

(Oh, and as a sidenote in WoW I had over 50 keybindings on my standard Macbook keyboard, so ya I think I'll be using them XD)

This thread inspired me to look up a gaming mouse to get. I think I like the looks of the Razer Orochi. The being able to choose wired or wireless looks neat and handy, and it has several buttons without seeming like too many.

It's pretty fantastic. It took me a minute to figure out how to set it up but since then it's been golden. It does a nice job saving setups and even seems to remember which I want to use (one for when I boot into OS X and one for when I boot into Windows due to different drivers).

It's very slick as far as movement is concerned and the buttons are very light and easy to press which I'm not sure is the same with the new Nagas (they switched to mechanical buttons iirc). It fits my hand really well and works well with my mouse style (I lay my hand flat along the mouse rather than claw it like some people). All in all I think it will be a good investment.

I'm kinda torn on whether to go for a standard mouse that you move about, or something like one of the old Kensington balls (do they still make 'em like that anymore) because I normally play with the lappy in my lap on the couch (so I don't have a lot of room for moving the mouse around).

A High res laser mouse takes little movement. X-mouse is a program that lets you change the functions of the buttons on any mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Razer Imperator and it perfectly suits my needs :). Razer ftw!

Razer is the Apple of computer accessories. Good hardware but horrendously overpriced. This is coming from a guy that owns a Black Widow Ultimate keyboard and Mamba mouse.

As the guy owning two Macbooks and a Razer I concur. I've really enjoyed the Molten Naga (like the button placement on it much better than the other two Nagas). It's working out well for everything from surfing the internet, to PZ, to MOBA's, to MMO's, and even FPS's. I'm pretty impressed.

I use a steel gaming mice myself, it's not overdoing it on the buttons (the 3 standard buttons + 4 sidebuttons) But it's responsive, looks pretty and feels good in my hand. I went for the steelseries because the razer series shapes just feel weird to me.

If you're not used to ergonomically shaped mice then that might not feel comfortable to you, that choice is the most important choice when getting a mouse in my book. If it doesn't feel good, you won't be comfortable, you won't be accurate you'll only get frustrated.

Second my choice would be a mouse with or without tail. (Cordless) I personally go for mouses with tails.

DPI isn't as important as you'd expect, anything above 1200 is good enough. 

The rest are merely features on a box as far as I am concernerd. :)

I actually tried the Razer Naga in Best Buy to see if it fit my hand before I bought it, and it does fantastically. I rest my hand on the mouse (vs. some people who 'claw' the mouse) and for whatever reason, it fits like a glove. I actually needed the 12 side buttons in case I ever get back into MMO's. Last time I played World of Warcraft I had at least 150 different keybinds on my keyboard, and it would be nice to free some of that up XD

Archived