Adrenaline Moodlet

Dreadhawk177

Adrenaline  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an adrenaline moodlet?

• No, the panic moodlets cover that pretty well.
    • Yes, it would be benificial.
    • Yes, and kill the panic moddlets as well!
  2. 2. If an adrenaline moodlet was implemented, it should

• make the player stronger
    • faster
    • weaker (in strength)
    • have bad side-effects afterwords
    • should only be activated if hurt
    • should be activated like the panic moodlet
    • make the character less accurate

I'm not going to vote. That just strikes me as a simple do or do not scenario which isn't the idea. I'd much rather throw ideas into the pot and let the devs who, let's face it, have done a good job thus far picking out the right ideas.

Now, that all said, I think it's a good idea. I think the adrenaline should kick in whenever you're scared. As it would in real life. Someone else (Maybe fatheed) who made a good point. Wouldn't you become desensitized to zombie encounters. You'd be hardened by the experience so you'd become less frightened when you saw then. 

In that situation you'd lose your adrenaline boost.

Just a thought.

Wouldn't you become desensitized to zombie encounters. You'd be hardened by the experience so you'd become less frightened when you saw then. 

I agree. I keep getting annoyed when approached by four or five zombies and getting the "extremely panicked" moodlet. It should become less of a problem later in the game, or only occur when injured. Also, the "brave" trait should be a bit stronger. I have it and still panick fairly easily considering that I've killed hundreds of zombies over my "lifetime". How come another five and I'm freaking out??

what i have in mind is basicly like this:

i did i little research and adrenaline in-game effects could be:

when adrenaline is activated(this could happen in EVERY dangerous[life-threatening] situation as it does occur with us humans) like everytime you spot a zombie, like the panic moodlet and when you just got hurt and started feeling pain:

-a LITTLE stronger than usual, nothing unhuman.

-definetly faster movements and running

-higher chance of becoming panicked(worse levels of the panic moodlet) so you could get panicked too so accuracy could be reduced

-should NOT have different levels of adrenaline like the other moodlet though. I think it's unnecessary since it would only stay active as long as you are fighting(lifethreatening situation) or in pain. it would go off pretty quick compared to the other moodlets.

-supress pain levels when activated, after deactivated, the pain would have course get worse like for example, you fell from the second store and get in extremely pain for now, i'm saying it should get like a mild pain moodlet at first (because it would instantly activate adrenaline moodlet as well, which supressess the pain while activated), although the adrenaline moodlet would pass pretty quick and deactivate so the pain would start for real and become extreme... that in the case of, for example you are being chased by a horde get hurt somehow and can still have a little rush time to fight your way out of that situation and fix your shit  up  before you die or feel extreme pain for hours until it passes with some rest or medicine or you can die too. :mrgreen:

Wouldn't you become desensitized to zombie encounters. You'd be hardened by the experience so you'd become less frightened when you saw then. 

I agree. I keep getting annoyed when approached by four or five zombies and getting the "extremely panicked" moodlet. It should become less of a problem later in the game, or only occur when injured. Also, the "brave" trait should be a bit stronger. I have it and still panick fairly easily considering that I've killed hundreds of zombies over my "lifetime". How come another five and I'm freaking out??

yeah, I've played with a brave character also and didn't think he was brave enough since he panicked pretty easily too for a brave firefighter with a sweet ass fire axe in hands!

Sounds great, umoito. However, I still feel that the player should be a bit desensitized over time (proportional to (total zombies killed times days lived)??). 

Great point, totally agree there, i just thought that would be too much too ask maybe, although it would be as awesome as hot babes and boats with an explosion in the background! ...too far?... ok, anyways... I actually think about that sometimes, it would bring the game to a much more realistic playing, since if you are used to go looting in the town you would probably, by doing that too much(just like you gain skill points), get the hang of it, like, get used to walking pass or in between tens of zombies (maybe proportional to the sneaking/lightfooted abilities) without freaking out(extremely panicking) and loosing as much accuracy as a amateur player would in a situation like that in which he would be new to and inexperienced, therefore freaking the fuck out! fo sho (tophat)

Since walking past zombies without being noticed makes you better at lightfooted/sneaking and such, it could work the same way but only this time for the way your character responds to the new world with the moodlets, like through time and experience, like I said above he wouldn't panic as easily as a novice player going looting for the first few times for example(of course that if possible should be discussed and elaborated in a easy to present idea for de developers)

... a veteran player should present effects on his character for him having more experience because he did have more experience right?

adrenaline should have bad side-effects afterwards??? why? I should probably, as Dreadhawk177 said, make you tired easily like a sledgehammer does or an axe because you do use your body to the limit, which makes it better at it doing stuff but makes you tired of course... but not actual "bad side-effects" should occur i believe, i think a higher high extersion chance should happen but nothing actually bad should though. and the panic stuff a said in my other post also

Sounds great, umoito. However, I still feel that the player should be a bit desensitized over time (proportional to (total zombies killed times days lived)??). 

Great point, totally agree there, i just thought that would be too much too ask maybe, although it would be as awesome as hot babes and boats with an explosion in the background! ...too far?... ok, anyways... I actually think about that sometimes, it would bring the game to a much more realistic playing, since if you are used to go looting in the town you would probably, by doing that too much(just like you gain skill points), get the hang of it, like, get used to walking pass or in between tens of zombies (maybe proportional to the sneaking/lightfooted abilities) without freaking out(extremely panicking) and loosing as much accuracy as a amateur player would in a situation like that in which he would be new to and inexperienced, therefore freaking the fuck out! fo sho (tophat)

Since walking past zombies without being noticed makes you better at lightfooted/sneaking and such, it could work the same way but only this time for the way your character responds to the new world with the moodlets, like through time and experience, like I said above he wouldn't panic as easily as a novice player going looting for the first few times for example(of course that if possible should be discussed and elaborated in a easy to present idea for de developers)

... a veteran player should present effects on his character for him having more experience because he did have more experience right?

adrenaline should have bad side-effects afterwards??? why? I should probably, as Dreadhawk177 said, make you tired easily like a sledgehammer does or an axe because you do use your body to the limit, which makes it better at it doing stuff but makes you tired of course... but not actual "bad side-effects" should occur i believe, i think a higher high extersion chance should happen but nothing actually bad should though. and the panic stuff a said in my other post also

No. Adrenaline rushes don't make you tired afterwords like you ran a marathon, you would be just as tired as you were if you did the same thing without one, the adrenaline just subsides it so it isn't as noticeable.

And while it is pushing yourself to a limit, that isn't or shouldn't be a bad thing,Loss of accuracy partially makes sense, but adrenaline heightens your senses so unless you have an uncontrollable rage for whatever reason you wouldn't lose accuracy either.

The idea of it working as a small painkiller fits nicely since thats how it works. If a balance is needed, then taking a little more damage from Zombies would fit, since during adrenaline rush its literally "f*ck pain your going to die!"

And an adrenaline rush wouldn't remove panic, it thrives off of you panicking, if you removed that then you remove the adrenaline rush.

If you got to a point where you didn't panic it would be a thrill of fighting, which. I don't know wouldn't be nearly as intense.

No. Adrenaline rushes don't make you tired afterwords like you ran a marathon, you would be just as tired as you were if you did the same thing without one, the adrenaline just subsides it so it isn't as noticeable.

And while it is pushing yourself to a limit, that isn't or shouldn't be a bad thing,Loss of accuracy partially makes sense, but adrenaline heightens your senses so unless you have an uncontrollable rage for whatever reason you wouldn't lose accuracy either.

The idea of it working as a small painkiller fits nicely since thats how it works. If a balance is needed, then taking a little more damage from Zombies would fit, since during adrenaline rush its literally "f*ck pain your going to die!"

And an adrenaline rush wouldn't remove panic, it thrives off of you panicking, if you removed that then you remove the adrenaline rush.

If you got to a point where you didn't panic it would be a thrill of fighting, which. I don't know wouldn't be nearly as intense.

I agree with you of course adrenaline should NOT remove panic, as you said correctly, it thrives from it, when you panic(usually in a fight-or-flight response for example), your body raises the level of the epinephrine which has many side-effects that can regulate your body's blood vessels diameter for example constricting them and increasing heart rate therefore making you more quickly to respond to impulses since your blood and information move faster through the body(there's where the idea of making you faster and agile and stronger comes from) but since it comes, like in this example, when you panic, as you said and i totally agree, you are in fact panicked right? so therefore one of panic's bad side effects is loss of accuracy, therefore it NOT the adrenaline that makes you loose accuracy but it's the panic moodlet, which of course should be directly proportianal to the adreanline moodlet, but since i believe it would be better for all if the adreanline moodlet did NOT have different levels (like slightly/strongly/extremely rushed would be kinda weird in my opinion), the adrenaline moodlet could make you panic a LITTLE (just a little) more easily(like in less dangerous situations[like if you were to get strongly panicked! around 10 zombies you would get maybe extremely panicked], so you would loose more accuracy for the panicking, but remain stronger and faster because of the adrenaline).

OR MAYBE

the adrenaline could have different levels, and as said above, it would be directly proportional to the panic moodlet, for example, the more panicked you are(and with less accuracy) the more "rushed" you become (the more stronger and faster and agile). Although I think it should only have one level of adrenaline, it could work like this if people prefer of course. That would be my most reasonable idea so far... I say it should be like this but only is small measures, it should not change the zombie fighting gameplay that much, only enough to feel the effects of adrenaline. AND as discussed also, It could make your character less prone to have adrenaline rushes when he becomes used to fighting zombies everyday so then he has (as time passes and he learns) only his built abilities to rely on later on the game... and not the moodlet boost like the adrenaline which i believe should be only positive, again, the negative side would be the panicking and not the adrenaline, since you would only get adrenaline rushes when you are panicked.

well, that's just me :D . I would actually like to hear everyone's opinion on this since I actually want this possibility to happen :ph34r:

Okay, the problem with realistically adrenaline implementation in a video game is manyfold.

1. It's generally accepted you become very, very strong, get tunnel vision and get distorted hearing, depending on the person. This happening every time you see a zombie could be a bit much.

2. There's a common fight-or-flight response called tachypsychia. It's where your brain processes data so fast time appears to be slowing down for you. This is kinda difficult to implement in a multiplayer game without being rather annoying (looking at you, Killing Floor.)

3. You get a huge, delibating dump of non-adrenaline and other chemicals after a life-or-death moment, leaving you nauseated, irritated and weak frequently.

4. After seeing so many zombies, I assume the panic icon might not happen so often... so, would the lack of an andrenaline rush be an issue for some players who have become dependent on it? I personally think it's realistic, but others may disagree.

That aside, you don't actually tend to be less accurate - my knowledge in this area mostly comes from researching self-defense with firearms. Rather than become less precise with gross motor skills (swinging a fist), you tend to get less blood going to extremeties, which means you'd fumble a reload, fumble opening a door, etc. Most people aren't less accurate with guns, technically speaking but tend to fire at where their eyes are focused - usually another human's weapon, or a zombie's face in this situation.

The bigger problem in a zombie scenario is the tunnel vision from the blood going to your rods and cones to give you much more focused vision where you arel ooking.

2. True, but it has been studied that it doesn't affect your senses in real time and therefore this particular phenomenon doesn't actually affect your performance in anyway. The only thing that changes is your perception of time.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that the flight or fight effect doesn't affect you but rather the time slowing down to be clear.

In my opinion I like the adrenalin Moodlet idea , it should be the first one to pop up when you see zombies, in the style of the Fight or flight response, and then devolve into the panicked Moodlet after a bit , the adrenalin wearing off, the brave trait would be reworked to speed up the removal time of the  panicked Moodlet. There would also be a timer for how often the adrenalin Moodlet would show up, the more frequently you get it the shorter it lasts.

Post panic. if you have had the adrenaline effect it should also sim the "Up, down, horny" effect of adrenaline. 24 hours after being in a situation that prompts the  fight or flight response you become elated at first, able to take pretty much anything in your stride followed by a temporary but crushing depression then there's the horny. You have an increased libdo after the "down" which could affect survivor interaction. Also I think it should be triggered on taking damage or seeing a survivor die, last for an in game hour before devolving into extreme panic to sim the immediate physical after effects of adrenaline (Shaky hands and sweaty everything, some cases blurred vison) about an couple of hours after the panic subsides you should go into the "up, down, horny" cycle that take about 24 hours to clear beofre usual body chemistry come back to normal.

2. True, but it has been studied that it doesn't affect your senses in real time and therefore this particular phenomenon doesn't actually affect your performance in anyway. The only thing that changes is your perception of time.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that the flight or fight effect doesn't affect you but rather the time slowing down to be clear.

It changes your perception of time and gives you more time to think and decide to react, which is going to make a definite difference even as a video game mechanic.

This is untrue. It doesn't actually give you more time to think, it just seems that way. (And is also debated by some that it's only a perceived image of the situation, or in other words a memory trick by your brain that happens after the situation.) This is due to the fact that in normal life your conscious perception has a small "lag"(the brain syncs different events so that even if they have a difference in time even if they are actually happening at different times ie. sound matching to a semi distant event) I don't remember how much it is (some milliseconds), but the unconscious mind that does your quick decision making doesn't need the conscious perception to figure actions. The conscious "lag" doesn't work in a life threatening situation so you perceive all the information at once. This is what they consider is the "slowing time effect".

A guy named David Eagleman has done the most recent studies on the subject. I can't remember the exact source for this, but it's from his studies. With the adrenaline part, I wholly agree that it boosts your performance in many apparent ways, but slowing time in game because of a system that is highly controversial takes it too much to the gamey side for me.

Hm, well I defer to you on that then since you do seem to be more educated on the topic. I think the other changes would probably be pretty gameplay-effecting though.

Yes, definitely so, as I said in my post earlier. I think some sort of short term boost would be a nice little addition in certain situations.