BETA BRANCH RELEASED- Steam Version

RobertJohnson

Going to ask that you follow this guide here and let us know if anything works: http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/648811126543159776/#c648811852498371891

New build, new problems, and all that. :D

If you get to the point of grabbing the error message, note that the error is now saved in error.log in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ProjectZomboid No need to exclusively use a bat to do it.

hi guys, 

just downloaded the latest beta and the game wont run in normal or compatibility mode, on launch i get black screen fro a sec then returned to desktop without so much as the ominous main menu music.

i was previously unable to run the game in normal mode, but compatibility was running fine.

good luck on the bug hunt and hope its not long before i can get smashing undead skulls again

Specs

Windows 7 64Bit
Pentium E5300 Dualcore @ 2.60Ghz
4GB DDR3
NVIDIA GT610 2GB DDR3 (810Mhz Clock)

THIS!

and wouldn't it have been easier to just explain how the TEST beta version isnt working for you?

if your that annoyed by it you game reinstall the stable release and you will be back to playing again. just uninstall the game , disable the beta if its still active then redownload.

Thanks for getting on this one so quickly enigma and for future is it best to but these in the bug section rather than on the version thread im never sure?

One or the other, generally. We're less likely to miss individual posts in the Support thread.

Hopefully this is just going to be as simple as loaded.txt for mods throwing an error due to a different version of the game, or something silly (all located in %username%\zomboid ;)).

Second rule of unspecified behavior: backup (as this could have your saves in it) %username%\zomboid (C:\users\EG\zomboid) then delete the original file

This works.

You're probably safe to return the sandbox, survival, and last stand folders to your Zomboid folder if you have an old save you'd like to play, then. Just make sure you keep a backup, just in case. :D

Wait, I'm confused. So there are multiple versions available on Steam currently? How long has that been the case? I was trying to figure out if there was a beta on Steam and how to access it the other night, but I don't think I did it right.

In the Steam Library, right click on Project Zomboid and select properties. Go to the Betas tab and opt into Beta rather than None. Should be good to go after verifying the game's cache or restarting Steam.

The Beta and NONE were more or less the same until just recently.

it doesnt run anymore it pops up for a sec then vanishes heres the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.searchForModInfo(ZomboidFileSystem.java:103)
    at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.searchForModInfo(ZomboidFileSystem.java:86)
    at zombie.gameStates.ChooseGameInfo.getModDetails(ChooseGameInfo.java:56)
    at zombie.gameStates.ChooseGameInfo.getModDetails(ChooseGameInfo.java:42)
    at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.loadMods(ZomboidFileSystem.java:150)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:904)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:112)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
    at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
    at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

Delete loaded.txt in C:USer/USERNAME/ZOMBOID/mods

Wait, I'm confused. So there are multiple versions available on Steam currently? How long has that been the case? I was trying to figure out if there was a beta on Steam and how to access it the other night, but I don't think I did it right.

This got lost at the end of the 4th page so I'm just bumping it in hopes of an explanation. If there's a beta version that is different from the one that Steam installs by default, I'd like to load it up so I can help with testing and also see if the performance tweaks make a difference for me.

This got lost at the end of the 4th page so I'm just bumping it in hopes of an explanation. If there's a beta version that is different from the one that Steam installs by default, I'd like to load it up so I can help with testing and also see if the performance tweaks make a difference for me.

See above.

OMG Converting mi old save!!!

OMG OMG I hope run!!!

Hope you backed them up.

the second rule got it working for me too enigma, i still have the black screen when entering game world on normal mode and i copied just the named save folders back in and they seem to work fine after a short "converting world to new version" so i dont have to try and find twiggys again YAY

thanks for the speedy work 

the second rule got it working for me too enigma, i still have the black screen when entering game world on normal mode and i copied just the named save folders back in and they seem to work fine after a short "converting world to new version" so i dont have to try and find twiggys again YAY

Unless I'm mistaken, this version of the game should be attempting to determine if you need compatibility mode or not (to save us all the fun of people thinking the game is utterly broke without trying it :D). Sorry to hear it isn't detecting properly.

It takes so much time...  :???:

And that's why it (should be) asks you first. :D

Ah, I get it. The OP didn't explain it very well, but this was helpful: http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/648811126626643581/

I tried this on the beta tab the other night but it didn't trigger a download. Looks like I need to set it and then restart steam as per the instructions in the guide. I'll try this tonight or tomorrow night when I get a chance to play again.

If someone could edit the OP to include that link, it might clear up some confusion.

Thanks folks.

Edit: now seeing the post where Enigma explained this to me literally just minutes ago. Thanks mate. I'm not refreshing this thread fast enough to keep up with you.

Unless I'm mistaken, this version of the game should be attempting to determine if you need compatibility mode or not (to save us all the fun of people thinking the game is utterly broke without trying it :D). Sorry to hear it isn't detecting properly.

well the game is working i can run around, shout, and get eaten. i just cant see any of it lol. presumably whatever criteria it looks for is being fulfilled but the error still occurs?

How much time does it takes approximately?

mine took slightly longer than it normally does to load exact time will vary on your machine but it wasnt that noticeable for me

How much time does it takes approximately?

All I know is "it can take a long time." :D

If something goes wrong, it might not go through though. If that happens, grab the error log file and just upload its contents on PasteBin.com. :|

thank you :D dammit now which mods don't work :/

thank you :D dammit now which mods don't work :/

it seems none of them ive tried robomats utitlity, the more bags mod and craft helper, i can see them in the mod loader in game but once i double click and exit it wont load again, i wonder if this is a problem with the mod loader rather than a particular mod?

i loaded each one by itself in compatibility mode each time clearing the loaded.txt to get the game to load again. its working fine without mods so i guess im playing without lockpicking for now :)

i loaded each one by itself in compatibility mode each time clearing the loaded.txt to get the game to load again. its working fine without mods so i guess im playing without lockpicking for now :)

How dare you!? :o

:cry:

Yeah I guess it is a problem with the modloader though :P

at zombie.iso.objects.IsoDeadBody.save(IsoDeadBody.java:510)
at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.save(IsoGridSquare.java:1168)
at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Save(IsoChunk.java:729)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convertchunks(WorldConverter.java:181)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convert(WorldConverter.java:80)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convert(WorldConverter.java:50)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:843)
at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:145)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

Please help  :(

at zombie.iso.objects.IsoDeadBody.save(IsoDeadBody.java:510)
at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.save(IsoGridSquare.java:1168)
at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Save(IsoChunk.java:729)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convertchunks(WorldConverter.java:181)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convert(WorldConverter.java:80)
at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.convert(WorldConverter.java:50)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:843)
at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:145)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

Please help  :(

Take it that's from converting the save?

If so, go to the support section and you'll see a sticky about saves. It'll request you send it to the devs.

In the meantime, though . . . There's not much to do.