So is anyone on here playing "Shadowrun Returns"?

Kitt Frostpaws

I was wondering if anybody on the forums was playing it?  I've essentially no-lifed it (what with having too much spare time.) and I can safely say that the final mission is more-or-less well and truly broken, if you're playing it lets get a nice little discussion going, eh?

Haven't played it... looks like Baldur's Gate crashed into Deus Ex though, interesting combination. Is it turn based? Hard to tell from the announce trailer.

Interesting choice of game-collision.. It's turn-based when there are hostile characters around or you're in an "infiltration" sequence.

Infiltration just being a fancy word for dungeon or quest area.

Interesting. Recommend it?

Personally I would, unless you're not a fan of mods.

Shadowrun Returns is one of those games that are heavily focused on mods (The game comes with an editor for your own levels and campaigns.) however the main default campaign is fun and has some pretty fucked-up plot changing moments.

I also cained through it in a couple of sessions.

Pretty good stuff overall, it certainly has it's problems though..

what did you think was broken about the final mission? (other than the main plot points)

The mission itself for me was majorly fucked, I killed all the "reinforcements" after I defeated the "shaman" (speech marks being used because it keeps the spoilers out and you'll know what I'm on about anyway) but the game didn't like that, oh no.

If you don't kill the "reinforcements" first then kill the "shaman" in a specific manner you'll be stuck in the room with the "shaman" running back and forth.

I encountered a couple of similar glitches; during one early mission i let the leader of a gang live, after which he proceeded to cower behind a market stall, the mission remaining permanently incomplete.

glitches and slightly stupid story aside, i did enjoy it

I encountered a couple of similar glitches; during one early mission i let the leader of a gang live, after which he proceeded to cower behind a market stall, the mission remaining permanently incomplete.

glitches and slightly stupid story aside, i did enjoy it

Trust me, I've heard much worse stories and at-least this comes in with an editor so you can make your own tale.

Ofcourse it would help if they had a tutorial for it.

I think the combat actually looks interesting, but the fact that it's all about story keeps me from buying it.

But If you want to know what it's all about, I recommend watching TotalBiscuit.

Wait...the game having a story puts you off buying it? Colour me confused

Wait...the game having a story puts you off buying it? Colour me confused

I don't think games (i.e. contests of decision-making) and stories (i.e. linear lists of events) work well together. I've actually written about that here. But I really don't want to derail this thread so if there is any further interest in discussion of the topic, contact me personally or make a new thread. Or maybe just comment on the blog. :)

Well if it makes you feel better, someone is working on re-making the original SNES title as a mod for this one.

That would be good!

Managed to get 3 hours on it today. So far I'm liking it, its rare that I find a story that causes me to be glued to the screen for 3 hours.

The combat is very satisfying, although I find it slightly annoying that I feel like I'm constantly not using all my character talents, or those of my team. I mean, what's the point of bringing a decker onto a mission when there's nothing to deck? With their being no real indication if one is needed at all, it's just a waste of money and a slot.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the checkpoint system. I can understand the frustrations felt by TotalBiscuit, but honestly none of those frustrations were felt by myself. The levels themselves are linear, and rather short between each transition so, your literally not waiting long for a checkpoint to pop up. However, on the other hand someone may need to leave the game for whatever reason, and doing so will cause you to lose all your progress. Not to mention that TB reported issues with the checkpoint system not even doing its job on some occasions.

You would imagine, in this day and age, with modern game design being what it is, there is no excuse for implementing a system that clearly punishes the player. I can understand why they did it, but the design is so one-sided and badly thought out that you wonder what truly goes through their heads and their reasoning for implementing it. Saying all that, it doesn't bother me, but what bothers me is a developer implementing such a bad design choice that doesn't cater to the player who, like many others, may need to leave the game at the drop of a hat.

If I was to rate the game, I would give it a 7/10. I think only a few minor gripes are holding it back. The lack of depth given to some of the characters, I'm also not a fan of how they did the skill progression nor am I keen on all these 'locked doors' that I come across, that seem to have no purpose as I can't interact with them. I know their probably there for future campaigns made by other players, but still, you think they would fill that space. So yeah, a lot of unused empty space going on in the level design.

Other than that, a good game with a lot of future potential.

You would imagine, in this day and age, with modern game design being what it is, there is no excuse for implementing a system that clearly punishes the player.

Yeah, you just nailed why (digital) game design is in this extremely unhealthy state today. :-|

A friend of mine actually played the game and his thoughts pretty much coincide with my impressions from some videos and reviews:

Basically, if you've played Fallout 1, this is the same thing, except like completely linear and with like 10% of the tactical depth. It's another case of "you can't boil down a non-system". They use the XCOM 2012 combat system (actually this is even MORE tactically nerfed) where you have basically no tactical options whatsoever. Horrible. I mean if Fallout 1 didn't come out back in 1996 then maybe I could see the justification for this, but yeah. Stay away.

I want to get it just to play with the mission editor

The mission editor is a pain in the ass, it's not self explanatory at all and comes with no reference for a wiki or a little bit of information and even making a simple conversation is a damn hassle sometimes.

Archived