zed wall damage.how should it be done?

gonomonakak

As it stands,a single zombie can take down a max lvl wall if given enough time to head-bang.  Wouldn't it be better if it took several zed? (The stronger the wall,the more zed can bang on one wall tile without doing any damage to it) this could even create some interesting situations where the zed completely surround you,but your walls are strong enough that they can never get in. Making you decide between waiting it out and and potentially starving,letting them in for a battle royale ,or seeing if you can save enough food that you can wait for a distant gunshot or other noise to lure enough away that you can make a break for it. (or kill em,you're choice :P ) 

8 minutes ago, gonomonakak said:

Making you decide between waiting it out and and potentially starving,letting them in for a battle royale ,or seeing if you can save enough food that you can wait for a distant gunshot or other noise to lure enough away that you can make a break for it. (or kill em,you're choice :P ) 

I would love this. Perhaps a system in which walls require attacks by a number of zeds equal to or greater than their level before they go down (level 1 wall can be destroyed by 1 zombie, level 3 wall can be destroyed by 3 or more zombies, maybe log walls and mesh fences require 5 or more zombies).

I do feel there is a significant gap in the flavour of the game when I am going out to kill every single zombie who knocks. A few zeds idly knocking around the base could add to the horror of the game before becoming a practical threat.

However, while I have no coding experience whatsoever, I don't think the approach I propose here would be particularly easy to implement :P

tl;dr I love this, please someone do it.

It's definitely debatable.

But i do agree with them being too strong, perhaps a strength multiplier which makes them stronger when grouped.

Ive never seen a single zombie have the patience to smash a single wall tho, I do notice they absolutely love to smash doors and walk through doorways

I've been very disappointed with how weak all construction is and advocated often for massively increasing the health of stuff. Right now, it takes a zombie only a few hours in-game to just plow through a wall by itself -- it really should last at least a day, particularly if the walls are made out of, well, logs.

Don't know how you could make it so it was a group effect. You'd have to check adjacent on any zombie near a wall then give them a boost. I'd imagine it'd become performance intensive rather quickly.

2 minutes ago, IndigoRebel said:

Increasing the life of buildings would be the simplest way.

A strength multipier now that I think of it can break and then the zombie group can tare through walls like paper.

its not so much a damage multiplier im thinking of, more like this: a lvl 5 wall takes 5 zed attacking at once to deal damage. if theres only 4 zed beating at the wall,no damage is done,BUT,once a fifth z shows up on the scene and joins in,the damage restriction is lifted and all 5 zed do regular damage to the wall.(like they do now)

One way to implement it would be to have temp health value and permanent health value for a wall.

When you attack a wall you would do temp health damage.

When you try to damage walls at every ten minutes (game time) the game could check if you did sufficient temp health damage to convert to permanent damage (on a x temp health to y health ratio).   The ratio would become higher for more robust construct (higher level carpentry, log wall, metal reinforced wall, etc.)

After 10 minutes part of the temp damage would disappear (maybe half of max temp health).

Also if max temp health value is reached, that would result in immediate destruction (to avoid say 10 zombies taking 10 minutes to break down a standard window).

Easier to implement than calculating the number of zombies hitting a particular walls and would result in close to the same game play effect.

3 hours ago, vanorfeadiel said:

One way to implement it would be to have temp health value and permanent health value for a wall.

When you try to damage walls at every ten minutes (game time) the game could check if you did sufficient temp health damage to convert to permanent damage (on a x temp health to y health ratio).   The ratio would become higher for more robust construct (higher level carpentry, log wall, metal reinforced wall, etc.)

After 10 minutes part of the temp damage would disappear (maybe half of max temp health).

Also if max temp health value is reached, that would result in immediate destruction (to avoid say 10 zombies taking 10 minutes to break down a standard window).

Easier to implement than calculating the number of zombies hitting a particular walls and would result in close to the same game play effect.

Genius. I don't know how performance intensive this would be but it sounds hella creative.

12 hours ago, vanorfeadiel said:

This sounds amazing.

I once suggested the "Zombie threshold" approach suggested in second post of this topic, but this is by far a better solution.

*applause*

• 2 weeks later...

Archived