Starting Scenarios

GodWaffle

Hey guys,

I've been suggesting a few ideas over the past couple of days, and while this is a slightly larger addition, I think it would be a great feature in the game.

First of all let me make it clear that I am not asking for the start of the apocalypse with all the NPCs running around!

What I'm suggesting is having a number of 'starting scenarios' that could be either an addition to sandbox or a new mode altogether.

The idea is that when you create a new save, rather than spawning in a random house on your own, you will have a very basic 'backstory' of sorts, for example you may wake up in a hospital, you may start off with your NPC brother or sister in an already barricaded/sheeted window house(could be kind of cool to have actual family members, could cause some emotional impact on the player when they finally die), you might start off drunk in a toilet somewhere.

Basically these are just unique little scenarios that give you a 'different' start than just appearing in the middle of a room, and especially with NPC's that your character would know from before, it would make you inclined to stay with that person and make sure they don't die (and thus losing them eventually may be pretty hard on the player)

How this would be implemented doesn't sound too difficult, for example you would spawn the player in a toilet cubicle, with the 'tipsy' moodle, which would give the impression that you passed out there after drinking too much, or spawn the player in a house with sheets on the windows/maybe barricades, and create an NPC with pre-established relationships to the player, maybe even have a 'best friend' NPC that lives in a house nearby.

Some of it seems pretty far-fetched, but I think it could be an interesting idea to consider so I thought I'd throw it out there anyway and see some opinions.

Let me know what you think :)

-GodWaffle

Neat idea, but could you elaborate on how is this different from story mode?

It's different since it's not so much a 'story', but rather just things that are already predetermined at the start of the game, after the game starts it would be just like regular survival, except you would have an NPC character with you who is your family member or friend, or you might have to get out of a hospital (which may or may not be full of zombies), there would be no custscenes or anything that tells you a proper backstory, you would see the situation you're in and assume for yourself that "Ah, I've just awoken from a coma", it could help to get into the role of your character while playing I think.

-GodWaffle

It isn't different from story mode. And I believe it's planned, but all those issues aside, I think it's a brilliant idea ;)

It would be nice if the solution was built in such a way that players could set up their own scenarios and share them on the forum.

"Here, try my story!"

It isn't different from story mode. And I believe it's planned, but all those issues aside, I think it's a brilliant idea ;)

It would be nice if the solution was built in such a way that players could set up their own scenarios and share them on the forum.

"Here, try my story!"

Awesome to hear it's planned!

Yeah, I guess it's a lot like the Kate/Baldspot story in that you can really just do whatever you want (killing Kate), and it would be fantastic to set up scenarios for other people to start in.

-GodWaffle

I always imagine me waking up in project zomboid after a car crash with my bleeding nose and disorientated, realizing (again) that the whole city is overrun by undead hordes, i just need to know how to do a story on pz, i have plenty ideas, dunno the dude that start his story alone by shooting an npc right on the head and running from a large group of survivors and as the story goes on the player gets clues of what's happening between them, I love custom starting scenarios, and ABSOLUTELY love your idea, but it can be better if it's saved for designed campaigns more than a random event just at the start of your game, i'd love to see what stories have the community to tell me!

I love this idea! A story mode would be great makes me think of cart life for some reason. Having people make characters with backgrounds and placing them in game with custom npcs and events would make for some great game play. If this indeed is planned I need to get started on making a epic story. when mapping tools are released I will have to make a map of my town as well.

I'm in for this as long as one of the scenarios includes the character being hauled to the chopping block after meeting two very charismatic vikings. Then, just before being put to death, a zombie dragon swoops down and destroys everything :evil:  

On second thought...there wouldn't be any guillotines in Knox county. So much for realism  :razz:

I'm in for this as long as one of the scenarios includes the character being hauled to the chopping block after meeting two very charismatic vikings. Then, just before being put to death, a zombie dragon swoops down and destroys everything :evil:  

On second thought...there wouldn't be any guillotines in Knox county. So much for realism  :razz:

Sounds dangerously similar to Skyrim.. Zombahkiin?

Sounds dangerously similar to Skyrim.. Zombahkiin?

NEH KRO DAH

Get it? Neh kro? Necro? Zombies...? No? OK I'll just go now.