Rope requirments

Demonic_Kat

Hey, just thought of a neat thing to balance the flying fortresses of doom.

Characters must have above average strength to climb a rope (6+ points in str). Speed of climb is determined by str stat. At 6 points you're the slowest.

Also zombie pulls should not be ignored and could be calculated in with str stat. If you're only at 6, then trying to pull yourself up and away from z's at the same time should be very hard with a good chance to fall.

This would force those who want flying fortresses to pick at least 1 str stat at the beginning, and still make it slow and potentially painful to use the ropes.

I personally don't believe we should "balance" flying fortresses. While your idea is amazing (and if I'm not mistaken, the devs threw this around in a Mondoid at some point), I think that the flying bases have no place in Zomboid at all. It focuses on realism. I can't wait to see how TIS gets rid of them. It's an embarassing cheat/exploit. :)

The ability to simply craft a ladder would circumvent a lot of the ridiculousness surrounding this (at least in terms of how the fortress looks). That and I think it's far more practical for someone to climb a ladder than a rope anyway. But sheet ropes probably do need some kind of nerf.

I personally don't believe we should "balance" flying fortresses. While your idea is amazing (and if I'm not mistaken, the devs threw this around in a Mondoid at some point), I think that the flying bases have no place in Zomboid at all. It focuses on realism. I can't wait to see how TIS gets rid of them. It's an embarassing cheat/exploit. :)

I put wooden pillars under mine, not because I need to, but because I also hate the absurdity of it.

Elevated platforms/bases shouldn't be removed, they just need to have proper support. Assuming that they are properly supported, they provide a huge strategic advantage in survival against zombies (or any creature that can't climb ropes). A survivor who figures out that zombies can't climb, shouldn't be penalized for taking advantage of his enemy's weakness. That's just smart on their part. If the zombie apocalypse were to happen, and I had enough time and resources, you better believe I would build an elevated safe house! You could live a very long time in a kid's tree-house assuming you had a way of replenishing your food/water supply. Rooftop gardens are real things in the real world, so is rain collection.

My gripe is the game engine allows building without support, not with the concept of building an elevated platform accessible only by ropes (assuming it is properly supported :) )

I put wooden pillars under mine, not because I need to, but because I also hate the absurdity of it.

Elevated platforms/bases shouldn't be removed, they just need to have proper support. Assuming that they are properly supported, they provide a huge strategic advantage in survival against zombies (or any creature that can't climb ropes). A survivor who figures out that zombies can't climb, shouldn't be penalized for taking advantage of his enemy's weakness. That's just smart on their part. If the zombie apocalypse were to happen, and I had enough time and resources, you better believe I would build an elevated safe house! You could live a very long time in a kid's tree-house assuming you had a way of replenishing your food/water supply. Rooftop gardens are real things in the real world, so is rain collection.

My gripe is the game engine allows building without support, not with the concept of building an elevated platform accessible only by ropes (assuming it is properly supported :) )

I said flying fortresses. I think elevated bases look cool and, while indestructible for zombies, they at least look realistic. I have no problem with elevated bases because it doesn't feell like a cheap, painful exploit. Sorry if my point didn't come across or you thought I had a problem with your bases. :)

I hope you all realize that we will most likely get a sheet rope overhaul when the new animations come. The reason we don't have any of this is because you need an animation for falling, being pulled off the rope, etc. If some newb was climbing up a sheet rope and his character just went straight down, think about the confusion. It would completely make sense with an animation though. Patience.

Gardening on rooftops should be nerfd. 

You should need flowerpots for each plant.

Such roofplants schould also give less harvest.

Would also look much better then these stupid mud squars.

I like the idea of having to build planter boxes with carpentry that you then have to fill with dirt. After X amount of harvests the soil loses its nutrients and must be replaced (or replenished with the NPK fertilizer or *dare I say it* COMPOST!)