What's your favorite mouse DPI setting?

ethanwdp

Depends on the game. Something between 400 and 800. On my desktop, it's 1600.

It's the most overhyped/overmarketed feature ever for mouses, though.

I never went above 800 for any game because it makes it too inaccurate (by creating errors because of the noise created by the virtual pixels) and/or too fast for precise aiming.
DPI is only a measurement for sensitivity, as in the distance of the mouse traveling physically and how far it moves on your screen. It's not a measurment of precision, so a 3600 DPI mouse isn't actually more accurate than an 800 DPI mouse. It just moves the cursor around faster (if set to 3600).

When I teach people how to play (e.g. CS:GO), the first thing I usually tell them is turning down their mouse DPI and ingame sensitivity. After being reluctant to do so for a while they'll eventually find out that their aiming improves drastically when not using insane DPI and ingame sensitivity.

Depends on the game. Something between 400 and 800. On my desktop, it's 1600.

It's the most overhyped/overmarketed feature ever for mouses, though.

I never went above 800 for any game because it makes it too inaccurate (by creating errors because of the noise created by the virtual pixels) and/or too fast for precise aiming.

DPI is only a measurement for sensitivity, as in the distance of the mouse traveling physically and how far it moves on your screen. It's not a measurment of precision, so a 3600 DPI mouse isn't actually more accurate than an 800 DPI mouse. It just moves the cursor around faster (if set to 3600).

When I teach people how to play (e.g. CS:GO), the first thing I usually tell them is turning down their mouse DPI and ingame sensitivity. After being reluctant to do so for a while they'll eventually find out that their aiming improves drastically when not using insane DPI and ingame sensitivity.

Also, slightly off topic, but how would I tune down the DPI manually without using a built in button on the mouse?

My overpriced Razer only has three options, 450, 1000, and 3500. Ended up shelling out $50 when my Blackweb malfunctioned only a few days of use, and this somehow has less functionality than something $20 less.

I never had a mouse that only lets me set one of three possible DPI options, so I can't really say how it is for the razer (never had one).

Isn't there a software (Synapse?) that lets you customise it?

Razer Synapse should havefer a slider that gives you anything from 100 DPI to the maximum of your mouse. Personally, I run at 5600 DPI- but this is only viable with all cursor acceleration turned off (both in game and for the system) and usually in-game sensitivity turned very low. I don't play FPS's, I play MOBA's, which require slightly different reflexes*. High DPI takes a lot of getting used to, but offers faster reaction time if you're accustomed to it. It's not feasible for some games or for some people. There's really a lot of variables that go into what optimal DPI is, and it varies based on your reaction time, your polling rate, the quality of the mouse, your CPU power, your resolution, and your in-game settings.

5,600 is realistically probably too high to be optimal, but I find with extremely twitch/reflex reliant MOBAs (League is what I play mostly) I need that extra speed. For RPG's and other tactical games it really doesn't matter- I usually just keep my same mouse profile and turn the in-game sensitivity to 0.1 or something.

*specifically speaking, linear skillshots often go a certain, set distance which makes it more important to get the mouse on the right line rather than at an exact position on a plane. Obviously there are other game mechanics that require exact clicking, but I personally prefer skillshot reliant champions, hence my preference. #WayMoreInformationThanAnyoneWanted

I have the Logitech G700s, works like a charm. You can get their Logitech Gaming Software that lets your add keyboard/mouse strokes and macros. The size is perfect, and I can change the DPI up/down with buttons on the mouse. I believe it has 5 settings. You can also have different profiles for each game, so it will have unique bindings according to the program running.

I have the Logitech G700s, works like a charm. You can get their Logitech Gaming Software that lets your add keyboard/mouse strokes and macros. The size is perfect, and I can change the DPI up/down with buttons on the mouse. I believe it has 5 settings. You can also have different profiles for each game, so it will have unique bindings according to the program running.

Oh my god I have one too and I love it.

Oh my god I have one too and I love it.

I third this.

As much flak as I will give Logitech from time to time, their gaming software really puts their hardware in a far superior value-for-money position.

In fact, embarrassingly, looking around my gaming PC there's a Logitech mouse, keyboard, speakers, headphones, and joystick. So much for competition in the gaming department.

Well honestly, Razor products are unbelievably overpriced. It's all just because of the name brand.

Razer products are popular, and therefor people love slamming them. They actually make incredibly good products. There's a reason that both many pro gamers and many gamers on their way to pro (that is, not sponsored by anyone) use Razer products. Synapse isn't the best software out there, but their hardware is top notch.

Archived