Change how doors work.

J0hnm13

Reading the most recent Mondoid, the devs mentioned wanting the world to feel more authentic and less "Cookie cutter" was the term they used. As they said no changes have been made yet, I feel now is the perfect time to suggest any ideas for changes. Right away, instead of zombies just bashing down doors into a pile of planks hinges and doorknobs, make it so zombies will bash /open/ doors.   Instead of the door collapsing into a pile of loot, just let the doorknob break so the door would swing freely.   This way if the door is loosely swinging you could still barricade it closed the same as the current barricading works.   A door with a destroyed doorknob would open as a player or zombie walks through the doorway, but could be swung closed to block off vision much like a closed curtain, though it would be easy to open right back up.   This would also remove all the clutter that inevitably gathers around doorways as the apocalypse goes on.   To repair an existing door with a broken doorknob, they could add the current doorknobs to the existing loot tables in warehouses or hardware stores.   Eventually though, some doors would break and collapse the current way if enough pressure was behind a barricaded door or the player axed it down   Thoughts? To expand on this, they could add the ability to simply kick the door down, benifiting from the player's strength stat. Kicking would instantly destroy the doorknob and cause it to swing open loosely. This would add a benefit to playing as a firefighter or police officer as the starting profession. 

Edited by J0hnm13

I think that zombies should have a chance to knock open doors each time they hit them. it would make the sound of banging more scary as the door doesn't need to be destroyed to be opened. The same sort of thing could be done with windows but they still break.

Locked doors would still need to be destroyed.

So a zombie could knock a door open with one hit and make you poo your pants :D

This is a neat idea, maybe each door has a hidden value?

Like door a can be bashed 'open' (Doorknob breaks) 4 times before collapsing into planks, and door B can only be bashed 1 time.

That was exactly what I had in mind, though I didn't know quite how to word it without cluttering up my already unorganized post, definitely.

Do doors have different strengths? Because external doors should be alot stronger than internal doors.

I could happily kick open any of the internal doors in my house but probably couldn't kick open the front door...

i don't think so. i also believe that there are some places with reinforced doors. but ye. also bathroom doors should have locks from the inside. its just odd otherwise.

One thing to consider is that a lot of front/back doors will have an extra deadbolt lock, where regular home doors might not even have a lock. The stronger the lock, the more damage the door takes before it opens. The door will still have X amount of health before collapsing.

One thing to consider is that a lot of front/back doors will have an extra deadbolt lock, where regular home doors might not even have a lock. The stronger the lock, the more damage the door takes before it opens. The door will still have X amount of health before collapsing.

i know they don't in game but that is what im saying. the inside house doors should come with locks. am i the only person who has locks on the bathroom door?

i know they don't in game but that is what im saying. the inside house doors should come with locks. am i the only person who has locks on the bathroom door?

I think you are. I  can't recall the last house I've been in with interior locks. Maybe a latch hook on the bathroom, but that's it. Most if not all houses only have locks on the front and back doors.

I do! Who on Earth doesn't live in a house with bathroom locks?? What if someone walks in while you're dropping a load?

I do! Who on Earth doesn't live in a house with bathroom locks?? What if someone walks in while you're dropping a load?

Does nobody knock on a closed bathroom door? Am I surrounded by savages!?  On a serious note though, I suppose every door could just have a random chance to be locked in the first place.

Does nobody knock on a closed bathroom door? Am I surrounded by savages!?  On a serious note though, I suppose every door could just have a random chance to be locked in the first place.

well i was just thinking some bedrooms and bathrooms could have locks on the inside. most likely unlocked but still there for some extra support.

Good idea. For now locking doors is useless in SP, so +1 for this idea. But to balance it, locked doors should have more "HP", but they would get totally destroyed/little destroyed (maybe there could be a way to fix it?), not only opened, when opened doors should be almost always opened and not destroyed (or make a slighty destroyed), so players could save a door in the safehouse losing they life (Best Deal Eva  8-)).

Good idea. For now locking doors is useless in SP, so +1 for this idea. But to balance it, locked doors should have more "HP", but they would get totally destroyed/little destroyed (maybe there could be a way to fix it?), not only opened, when opened doors should be almost always opened and not destroyed (or make a slighty destroyed), so players could save a door in the safehouse losing they life (Best Deal Eva  8-)).

not useless if zombies can open doors. that is a scary thing to think about.