Why do people want attacking zombie hordes?

cuddlepums

I think it's safe to say that most people who build a base in Project Zomboid Singleplayer do so to keep themselves safe. There's no reason to do so if you're already safe the moment an area has been cleared out and it remains that way indefinitely.

I think migratory patterns would make the game more exciting and dynamic... True migration, not just 'horde spawns 2 cells away and march in your direction automatically' (Though that isn't a bad thing, neither). Something that people can witness and possibly even avoid when living a nomadic lifestyle. Imagine if you will that the hordes - the ones that already form on their own - begin to move in seemingly random patterns that may stretch across the map, usually along urban / rural areas. Building a base would then have a reason due to said wandering hordes having the potential to stumble upon you and attack you. A base would have value aside from bragging rights. People who keep moving might be able to even map out said movements and skirt around them, or wander into the town / region said zeds have just abandoned for free loot.

Right now, if I make my way to any of the farms, or any house with a garden, I can usually afford to not build walls or any defenses once the area's been cleared out because the only zeds that wander by are ones that stray due to sound - usually helicopters.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True migration, not just 'horde spawns 2 cells away and march in your direction automatically' (Though that isn't a bad thing, neither). Something that people can witness and possibly even avoid when living a nomadic lifestyle. Imagine if you will that the hordes - the ones that already form on their own - begin to move in seemingly random patterns that may stretch across the map, usually along urban / rural areas.

Yet the problem is that this "true migration" isn't possible, as the technical limitation has been stated by the devs. It would hog too much resources, and forests, buildings etc would slow zombies down and it would require months for them to reach some of the places in the map.

Like it or not, but the only sensible way to do this would be some kind of spawn mechanic based on player's actions, that allows players to prevent unwanted attention or they can take the risk if they feel doing so.

I'm completely ok with the whole timer/counter thing, where doing loud actions would add to your counter until it reaches a certain point. When that point is reached a horde would be sent *near* you. This could be right on top of you or to the forest off to the left of your base. This could even be changed in the sandbox settings, so if you don't like it you could turn it off.

I think it's safe to say that most people who build a base in Project Zomboid Singleplayer do so to keep themselves safe. There's no reason to do so if you're already safe the moment an area has been cleared out and it remains that way indefinitely.

I think migratory patterns would make the game more exciting and dynamic... True migration, not just 'horde spawns 2 cells away and march in your direction automatically' (Though that isn't a bad thing, neither). Something that people can witness and possibly even avoid when living a nomadic lifestyle. Imagine if you will that the hordes - the ones that already form on their own - begin to move in seemingly random patterns that may stretch across the map, usually along urban / rural areas. Building a base would then have a reason due to said wandering hordes having the potential to stumble upon you and attack you. A base would have value aside from bragging rights. People who keep moving might be able to even map out said movements and skirt around them, or wander into the town / region said zeds have just abandoned for free loot.

Right now, if I make my way to any of the farms, or any house with a garden, I can usually afford to not build walls or any defenses once the area's been cleared out because the only zeds that wander by are ones that stray due to sound - usually helicopters.

I wouldn't mind a 

Spawn Horde

Horde moves in RANDOM direction, which MIGHT be in your direction.

also the horde spawn would be anywhere between 1-500 zombies, and would

be super rare.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of the new spawning mechanics in build 32? Will this fix the problems we've seen (i.e. PZ becoming Farmville)? I'm personally not convinced unless the area you can attract zombies from with noises etc is larger than the "loaded" part of the map. Otherwise it will remain pretty easy to stay home, farm, and never have any new Zs spawn close enough to your base to be a threat.

That said it does look like the way the new spawn mechanics work (with zombies unable to spawn inside walled off areas) will cause lots of zombies to spawn at edges of bases, particularly larger bases, which could be fun :)

What do people think of the new spawning mechanics in build 32? Will this fix the problems we've seen (i.e. PZ becoming Farmville)? I'm personally not convinced unless the area you can attract zombies from with noises etc is larger than the "loaded" part of the map. Otherwise it will remain pretty easy to stay home, farm, and never have any new Zs spawn close enough to your base to be a threat.

That said it does look like the way the new spawn mechanics work (with zombies unable to spawn inside walled off areas) will cause lots of zombies to spawn at edges of bases, particularly larger bases, which could be fun :)

I think when NPCs come in this will change.

*Snip*

I think when NPCs come in this will change.

... but only if THEY decide to attack the player /come near his safehouse. Otherwise zombies are still far away and wont present a threat.

The best scenario would be a combination of

- bandit NPCs

- horde mechanic based on player's actions (visibility/noise/smell)

Reason simple - because zombies move. ALL ZOMBIES MOVE. Hordes are just lots of zombies moving.. They travel this way. Its unrealistic that they don't move at all. Problem is, that you cant simulate wandering behaviour for each and single zombie - game alrealdy is heavy on cpu - the logical solution is moving horde, which is more like a huge single unit (in terms of behaviour), which goes here and there and thats it. Several moving hordes are nice. No, not just several - zombie patrols are what people mostly talk about. I read a lot of stuff and I believe, people want these zombie patrols so that player couldn't go off into a hell of a faaaaaar place and just be safe, kicking some zombie face now and then. HE should be found. And you should always be nervous. Because you know, that they will come. You don't know when but you know that you will be found. 

The whole game rotates around "being afraid" - scratching, sudden zombies, overweight..most of this is solved by living far. Thats why people want seeking zombie hordes