Why do people want attacking zombie hordes?

cuddlepums

I have a question for the people who want attacking hordes because I'm not sure I understand why you guys do. Hordes are already able to attack your base if you make to much noise or if a chopper flys over your house zombies are bound to come and attack you (unless you live in a secluded place). But from what I understand it seems like you guys just want a random giant horde of zombies to spawn coming at your base, I don't like this because there is no reason for them to just attack your base other than they spawned and told by the game to do so. I want hordes to come attack my base if I have done something to attract them or something else has, not just zombie hordes having the ability to "find" our base and attack. That means if say, i were in one of the forest cabins and built it all up to be safe and self sufficient but one day I wake up in my cabin to find a giant horde banging on my walls, I have done nothing to attract them why are they there?! There is no good reason for them to be there because you the player or other outside forces have done nothing to attract them and that's punishing the player for doing nothing but surviving. So if you want big zombie hordes to attack your base just attract them with some noise.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not possible to attract them, at least, not in my experience. Zombies do not migrate over larger areas so if you clear out an area around your base you will never see a zombie, you can shoot from the rooftop all you want.

People want to have some excitement and danger mid to end game and currently there is little more than maybe one or two stray zombies. Also, helicopter sounds don't change much even if they play over your base as zombies that are "around" but are not visible might as well not exist.

There is little to no difference between setting up a base in a remote location or middle of west point. You can achieve the same level of safety in both the second one just requires you to clear out the area around your base. Goodbye zombies.

I personally gave up on base building altogether and started a nomadic life in PZ exactly because setting up a base removes all challenge but to find food and water, unless you're a gardener and have a water barrel, if you do then you're all set to die of boredom.

The trouble is that zombies don't enter an area you've cleared when you're sitting on it, I think. They aren't doing anything or going anywhere until you enter a new space you haven't guarded!

Also, I think what this party is feeling is that they have to go specifically drawing the zombies' attention to have problems with them. The zombies don't really stalk or follow sounds enough, so a cleared neighborhood stays that way for a very long time. It strikes them as weird and frankly looks out of place.

EDIT: ninja'd over the course of a half an hour????? i may have a few speed issues to improve

Zombies always find you! Its just one of those things.... It just happens... Well in most of the programs I've seen they do.

At the moment it's even hard to make them attack your base.

If you start making your base next to a horde it will attack you. But that's about it.

I believe that you should need to build a base because its not safe anywhere. Not because you need something to do while watching your crops grow.

Mid to late game has issues with boredom. Right now it's very rare for any zombies at all to attack your base if you clear out the surrounding area. I'm not too hot on GIANT giant hordes attacking you on a regular basis, but I can honestly say I'd love to have small groups of zeds attacking once every so often. More often if you fail to keep a low sound profile, but even then I'd expect to see a random attack every once in a while.

As it stands now I very rarely get attacked unless I go outside the area I've cleared. It's not very fun.

Maybe the script does not allow zombies to "repopulate" a previously cleared area? They do wander around and logically should reappear in cleared areas over time.

Barricading and\or building anything prevents zombie respawning. And even then the way zombies respawn is... sucky. They should respawn every day in zones that you have not visited for 24 hours. They probably do, one zombie per day, if that, because I never saw it happen. So... it would take years to get an area repopulated.

I don't know why it doesn't work in a different way, like, say, fake migrations that move excess zombies from one zone to another when the player isn't looking or even having unvisited areas work as a clown car that continually allows for zombies to 'migrate' in numbers to empty zones without taking any out of their original zone only after some time limiting that capability.

We need some sandbox options for that to experiment with, maybe if we did we could see what works and what doesn't and give the devs some feedback until a good enough solution is found.

And because of it we get bored, get cocky, go out looking for trouble and then get bitten. I agree, I don't find it as fun when once I've set up I have no challenge at all, the point of the game is that you WILL die, people do tend to forget that though. For example I'd love to survive a month, then wake up one morning and some big noise happens and I go out to the watchtower in my prison and see 150+ zombies coming, then it'll put my hard work on my barricades and fortification to the ultimate test. Even if while firing, 50-100 more came, it would be the ultimate thrill until the next time, maybe month in, month out and small little groups could come sometimes, just not very often. I want to never feel like I'm safe in zomboid.

Or imagine you come back to your base and a horde is attacking the base and there's a group of survivors in there attracting them, that'd be an awesome scenario really, help the group then figure out why they were in your base. That's a good while off though.

I'd say that's a good thing once we know that hordes can attack if a chopper flies over or a multiple shots are fired (also can't wait for the shots to be impossible to know whether it was the game or another character). Mostly the work we put into our bases never gets tested by hordes and it really needs to be addressed so we're never OP. This is a personal experience though, but I see most seem to agree with me on this too.

The members above me pretty much said what I wanted to say already, so I'll just add this: zombies aren't scary because they're out there. They're scary because they're out there trying to get in here, and you can't ask them to stop, reason with them, or negotiate. They want to eat you, and will find you to do so.

PZ needs that feeling.

I want roaming zombie hordes to migrate because of the "Oh sh##" factor it causes.

Like if anyone has played the first walking dead game and you're in the house near the sea and then a big roaming horde comes through ruining everything planned.

I want the feeling of no where being safe and having to always watch myself.

If you have cleared the surrounding areas of zombies then there is no reason for them to attack, I want justification for zombies to come and attack your base. I don't want zombie hordes to magically just know where you are and attack, now I can understand the want for zombie migration that would create constant danger and your safe zone constantly being barraged with zombies. But again zombie hordes need to have a reason to attacking our base other than we're bored and surviving to long, zombies attacking your base should be because you attracted them in some way or something else attracts them.

If you have cleared the surrounding areas of zombies then there is no reason for them to attack, I want justification for zombies to come and attack your base. I don't want zombie hordes to magically just know where you are and attack, now I can understand the want for zombie migration that would create constant danger and your safe zone constantly being barraged with zombies. But again zombie hordes need to have a reason to attacking our base other than we're bored and surviving to long, zombies attacking your base should be because you attracted them in some way or something else attracts them.

I don't think anyone wants a random horde to spawn outside his door but like I said, we can all go up to our watchtowers and shoot a full clip into the air, nothing will ever come. If someone wants to be safe then sure, a shack in the woods should be a way to go but it does not matter at the moment, we are all always safe, everywhere, provided we cleared the area and that's the big problem.

We can't even lure a horde to our doorstep by running away in panic because zombies just stop dead in their tracks once they lose sight of their target, they won't do what zombies would likely do and just keep moving in that general direction, one day finally arriving at your door and breaking it down.

Zombies are a threat in very early game and stop being a threat once you get a baseball bat and use it a little. Sandbox settings don't help it much unless you go crazy with Insane zombie count (Even that is a short term solution) or pick runners which are the kind of zombies that you really want to avoid when possible and which actually can follow you home because you can't really outrun them.

Currently the only way I've seen for this to happen is with multiplayer games.  We have a person play as the "Dungeon Master" essentially, and sometimes repopulate areas around us then trigger a shot or heli & then use that chopper as a "drop" where we drop items at a certain area for people to try to go grab.

As for SP, I can see this being a problem.  You go from being terrified, always on the run, to play "The Sims: Rebuilding."

I'm sure they're working on something in the background, but I agree with what one poster said about there being some options we could experiment with.

Currently we've got thousands of zombies outside of our barricaded area in downtown WP...  We were attacked by a moving horde of about 3-4k about 2-3 weeks into the game...  Since we cleared or moved them away though, none of the zombies have moved toward us.  Stragglers here and there, but essentially the same issue everyone is having.

So then you end up dying of food poisoning, falling, going Rambo and getting bit...  Always attacking, never defending.

I want justification for zombies to come and attack your base. I don't want zombie hordes to magically just know where you are and attack, now I can understand the want for zombie migration that would create constant danger and your safe zone constantly being barraged with zombies. But again zombie hordes need to have a reason to attacking our base other than we're bored and surviving to long

Alright, I think I'll take a shot at this.

*hitches up britches*

The horde was passing nearby when they smelled your scent in the area and came to investigate. That seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Its sounds like the only way to get zombies to attack your base is to spawn them next to it. This alone upsets people. Then the added problem is that the zombies could spawn in your base. This would really upset people!!!

I'm happy for zombies to spawn in my base. But I completely understand that it would really annoy alot of people.

I'm sure the dev's will come up with something because they seem keen to get some sort of migration like behaviour added to the zombies.

We just have to wait and see...

I could understand that reason if they were on the blood hound setting.

Reminds me of that scene in "I am Legend" where the hero had to use bleach around his safehouse to mask his scent. Damn I'd love that.

As much as I know "Special Infected" are verboten but it would be so damn awesome to have more zombie lore settings, the ones available are all suffering one of two problems. Overpowered or Underpowered. And as much as I know that the devs want proper zombies I just know that eventually it will be sandbox mode that will keep people playing and the more options we got there the better. Not to mention all the Multiplayer roleplaying possibilities it would bring.

PZ has a chance to be THE zombie survival game, it has a chance to have something for everyone and that's something I would really hate see being squandered. And I will say right here, adding zombie migrations would, inevitably, be a short term solution.

We don't really know what senses the zombies use. They're DEAD. They shouldn't be able to see or hear you, let alone smell you. For all we know the futuristic cyborg voodoo shaman that grew the zombies in a cloning vat could have used his alien mind powers to scrye your location and teleported his undead minions in to attack you.

The fact of the matter is that the game is boring if zombies don't threaten your safe house often enough to be considered a viable threat in the mid to late game but people also hate it when the zombies find their base at all. It's hard to make the zombies find you without it feeling like the game just spawned them in.

I don't care how the devs end up doing it. I just want my base to come under attack once in a while to make it feel like I'm actually in danger.

It's true, there are no great dangers after building a safehouse in a secluded (even not so secluded...) spot. I built mine between two houses near the river in West Point, and after dispatching the 20-30 zombies in the surrounding area... well, let's just say it's been a month since the last one showed up. No amount of gunfire and screams seems to draw them there. That said, the idea of a zombie horde suddendly starting to siege your safehouse would be quite... unrealistic, if we consider the "classic" lore about zombies. But, let's say our survivor sneezes. Or screams in his/her sleep. Or just screams out "dammit!" after hitting his thumb with a hammer. Maybe a bottle falling from a shelf. Random-ish noises. A zombie decides to investigate and starts banging at your door. That sound attracts one more, then another... and suddendly you have 50 undeads at your door. Like in the "Night of the living Dead". It would be glorious. Low chance of that happening if not even a zombie is remotely close to your fortress, though. The easiest "fix" would be modifying the sound value (if there's such a thing!) of a zombie banging at a door/window so that even zombies from far away would come.

We don't really know what senses the zombies use. They're DEAD. They shouldn't be able to see or hear you, let alone smell you. For all we know the futuristic cyborg voodoo shaman that grew the zombies in a cloning vat could have used his alien mind powers to scrye your location and teleported his undead minions in to attack you.

The fact of the matter is that the game is boring if zombies don't threaten your safe house often enough to be considered a viable threat in the mid to late game but people also hate it when the zombies find their base at all. It's hard to make the zombies find you without it feeling like the game just spawned them in.

I don't care how the devs end up doing it. I just want my base to come under attack once in a while to make it feel like I'm actually in danger.

You should care how they do it because if zombies have the ability to just spawn right outside our base that would be really annoying IMO and that would make the game much less realistic. It also means the game would be punishing us for no reason other than "were surviving to long" so it decides to spawn a horde right next to our base, or send all the existing zombies in your vicinity to your location because zombies can just sense humans with there magic voodoo demon powers. (sarcasm)

I think if you base is in a secluded area then you should probably not have to worry that much (that is one of the positives of being in a secluded area away from the city that you won't have to deal with zombies, but a downside of it as well is it may make take you a few in-games days to get supplies from the nearby town).

I do think though if you have your base in the middle of downtown WP or muld, then you should probably have greater chances of seeing zombies coming/migrating through since your base is in a "hotzone" where zombies would normally accumulate.

I am not a fan of having hordes of zombies just spawn right outside your walls and IMO this would just be punishing players who have been surviving for long periods of time - I think what would be kind of nice to be added is like another person said is maybe when zombies lose sight of you they do not just stop in their tracks but they could keep roaming/walking forward and this would make it more wise to actually lead the zombies away before you head back to your safehouse.

We don't stay in "a" safehouse long anyway; we're  methodically (mostly) clearing the map. Recently I headed South from our partially fortified pink gas station base (over the water from WP) and ended up chased back home by a horde. That wasn't my intention but I did have to end up killing a few who got past through the long passageway and up the stairs. It was a blast. Anyway, if you create a safezone, complete w/ wall/gates on the roadways then I wouldn't expect to get attacked very often.

As said, the key is migration-hell, I think it would be cool if a horde shambled by while I sat *very* quiety and out of sight watching them go by. Especially as, at this point, they'd likely be headed to one of our other bases/cleared areas-or even an area we were planning to check out. Most likely this would result in us hunting them and hopefully not biting off more than we can chew.

Now if they happened to be migrating while I was hammering somthing, even fishing or gardening, it could turn into a different story. For now, these dudes seem to like to hang out-they don't seem to get hungry for one thing.  I see smallish migrations move toward a random sound, but never a horde-maybe those sounds/any sounds just to be made louder? I don't foresee hordes randomly zeroing in on a base, just a group getting moving for some reason and (literally) stumbling into your base. It would be interesting if smaller packs or single zombies would "instinctively" join the larger group if it passed close enough...