Unskilled Rain Collection Device

Dudeman325

Hey there, had an idea for a rain collection device that could work in the same manner as rain barrels / boxes (though not as well) for a carpentry-less water source that nearly anyone could make from semi-common materials. I know that in reality you could just leave a bucket / pot out in the rain to gather water, but as a construction this could use all the same code as the current rain collection devices until code is written that allows for items left outside in the rain to collect water.

With that out of the way...

Ingredients

-4 Knotched Planks

-Twine, 4 lengths (50% of a spool)

-Tarp

-Cooking Pot / Bucket

Directions

-Put the planks in the ground, knotched side up, equally apart so that they form a square the same size or slightly smaller than your tarp.

-Cut/tear four lengths of twine, as well as a small hole in the center and in each corner (if the corners aren't riveted) of your tarp. Tie one end of each length of twine into each corner of the tarp, and tie a large knot on the other end of each length.

-Attach the twine to the planks by pushing the twine into the knotch at the top, using the large knots to hold the weight. There should be some slack in the tarp to allow for rain collection, but not so much that too much rain collects and collapses the tarp on its weight. If there is no slack, the support planks were placed too far apart.

-Place the pot / bucket underneath the hole in the center. As rain falls on the tarp, it will run down to the hole and into the container. Much more effective than just putting the container outside when rainfall is light enough to not fill the pot on its own.

(Apologies for the crude drawing... I am NOT an artist.)

phtBUoA.png

The downside to this compared to the Carpentry water sources is that it would only have the capacity of one pot / bucket, as well as requiring more uncommon materials like the tarp and twine which are normally only found in hardware loot.

What do you guys think?

The issue is the the "current" level 2 rain boxes are now level 4 (out of 10) in the IWBUMS Build 31, which many are finding to be out of reach in a meaningful amount of time along with the changes to Carpentry experience gain. This gives players who choose to start the game without Carpentry-related traits / profession bonuses an ineffective (compared to boxes / barrels) means of collecting water other than traveling to the river in West Point.

I'm ok with the current lv. 2 rain barrels (water isn't really a problem for me), but it's a nice idea.

I'm still all for the idea of being able to collect rainwater with just buckets. They aren't the easiest things to find in the first place so yeah. Hell, even things like empty pop/water bottles would collect small amounts, though this has probably been discussed before.

I could see your idea working in the wilderness or some place without any structures but if your in town It would be much easier and more effective to take a bucket, pot or some other collection vessel and put it under the rain gutter downspout of some house or building? That would require Zero carpentry skill and no resources other then the collection medium.

Why we are not allowed to do this right now is beyond me.

Eldergamer

I could see your idea working in the wilderness or some place without any structures but if your in town It would be much easier and more effective to take a bucket, pot or some other collection vessel and put it under the rain gutter downspout of some house or building? That would require Zero carpentry skill and no resources other then the collection medium.

Why we are not allowed to do this right now is beyond me.

Eldergamer

Good idea, it just common sense to use rain gutter and it doesn't require any skill/knowledge etc just some sort of container and you can collect water. Building rain barrels is exaggeration in town when you can use much simpler methods.