All things wood

Suomiboi

Going medieval are we now? :D

1. Draw bridge. :D I'd love to see that but we'd have to assume that you'll be able to dig trenches. Because of that (or until we hear from the devs about that) I don't want to add it to my list but it's a thing that would be totally fun, if maybe a bit gamey.

2. What you're suggesting with the crossbar is basically what I thought about with the latch. I'm just using a different name (probably a wrong one but anywho...). I don't really like the idea of multiple crossbars as I think it kills the fun by just a bit, but that's just me.

3. I don't really see a reason why there should be that many different kinds of door latches, crossbars etc. One system would suffice imo.

4. This one is great! Made me chuckle a bit.  :lol: It would be great fun dropping Spiffo dolls or that sandbag on an unsuspecting zombie. The thing is, I don't really think it's a feasible way of killing zombies or NPCs for that matter. You'd have to wait until the enemy is exactly underneath you and then drop it at the right time and then wish that it'll hit the head just right. Also it would be quite hard determining what's underneath you because of the isometric view.

Great ideas!  :P

@Walther Maybe just use an axe (or a saw) to chop a log into 4 pieces for weapon/item crafting. So it would be a chopped log or something similar. This would be a more feasible way of maintaining a camp fire too.

A drawbridge need not involve a trench.

You could just put the bridge between the gap between existing (or player) created structures.  Players creates a way to get up onto the main building (fort) and the creates a way to get up onto the second building (gatehouse).  Create a drawbridge to span the gap and the destroy the way up to the fort.  Fortify the gate house.  When zed comes a callin, defending the gate house until you have to fall back.  Put up drawbridge and then smile at zed from the safe side.

I have a pic, but I dont have a clue how to post it.

Yea, I get it but I don't think it's such an easy thing to craft irl as you'd imagine. It'd be hard to make it bearing. It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, there's just something about it that makes it unrealistic for me.

You can upload pics by using an photo sharing site like photobucket etc. and then put the link of the picture like this:

[img]www.yourphotolinkhere.com[/img]

or you can upload them to the forum servers by selecting more reply options, then browse (or something similar I have it in finnish so...) and then Attach this file and lastly add to post.

Why would crafting a spear be dumb? You has a stick, you sharpen it, you has a spear, profit. Also there are rainbarrels so why not buckets?

Because they are wooden buckets?

And rain barrels work because you use a garbage bag to store the water.

With a makeshift wooden bucket a lot of the water would soak into the wood, and depending on what else has been in the bucket your increasing a risk of getting yourself sick. Can't reaaally wash wood as opposed to a plastic or metal bucket.

Me personally Im not a big fan of melee weapons during a zombie invasion. Because well personally if its being spread throw bites and scratches i don't want to be anywhere near them. Spear just seems uneeded at this point with all the weapons already in place.

Why would crafting a spear be dumb? You has a stick, you sharpen it, you has a spear, profit. Also there are rainbarrels so why not buckets?

With a makeshift wooden bucket a lot of the water would soak into the wood, and depending on what else has been in the bucket your increasing a risk of getting yourself sick. Can't reaaally wash wood as opposed to a plastic or metal bucket.

Me personally Im not a big fan of melee weapons during a zombie invasion. Because well personally if its being spread throw bites and scratches i don't want to be anywhere near them. Spear just seems uneeded at this point with all the weapons already in place.

Unless you are military and have solid supply lines, melee is the only possible option. You may have enough ammo to kill a hundred zombies but the sound will draw thousands more.

Unless you are military and have solid supply lines, melee is the only possible option. You may have enough ammo to kill a hundred zombies but the sound will draw thousands more.

Good thing there are only 4,000 zombies in the town :P

Well yes I get that, its true for the game, but me personally I would just sneak, and keep something melee for important or needed encounters, or to aid in whatever needed.

But this falls under what I also said, we have plenty of melee weapons, whats a spear reaally going to add?

And going even further back, yes guns attract zombies, but if you shoot a sound off, they won't keep going in the direction they heard it forever, or really care. To me it should be anyway, if they hear it from inside a house nearby then they would.

Good thing there are only 4,000 zombies in the town :P

This isn't actually true by the way X= 

Spears would be a good melee weapon because they could add stabbing/piercing attacks that would net you a longer range and therefor keep you safer. It's also an option for late game (when many weapons are gone) or for people who want to live in the forest rather than the city. More than anything, though, it's easy to make for the devs and easily doable in real life- there's just no reason not to.

And going even further back, yes guns attract zombies, but if you shoot a sound off, they won't keep going in the direction they heard it forever, or really care. To me it should be anyway, if they hear it from inside a house nearby then they would.

Not really, as long as they aren't distracted by any other noises they will keep moving towards the sound.

Not really, as long as they aren't distracted by any other noises they will keep moving towards the sound.

Until they forget about the sound. Or go back to wandering around.

yeah maybe we could have a log split in 4 with a hatchet, could work. kinda like you can make bacon strips and bacon crumbs with a knife. or?

and furthermore treat the wood with a file, some sandpaper. then you'd have a nice bat, bur for a baton you'd need a grip either carved or with some leather or what not...

Those swinging logs lol. How about pushable barricades? Or some kind of compost bin that gives you fertilizer every once in a while if you chuck rotted things or leftovers into it. It would at least give SOME use to rotted food and there's a good way to get the fertilizer. The thing is, you'd need a bag...

Yea I think I could add building a compost bin out of wood. But I'd rather Add the mechanic to plastic wheelie bins asti they keep the heat much better.

Hmm maybe yes now that I think about it, build a frame and top for the compost and then put the bag in and stuff your rotten food in there. I thought about this too but didn't come to think that the bag could hold the heat and moisture pretty well. I'm on my phone atm so I'll add it when I have the time.

I'm not a big compost-expert or anything but I believe that wood might be a bad decision for this, it might rot with the moistness and what not. a plastic container is good but most plastic compost container have no bottom and a removable lid. so the fluids can flow out/down in the earth and the compost can do its magic

I'm not a big compost-expert or anything but I believe that wood might be a bad decision for this, it might rot with the moistness and what not. a plastic container is good but most plastic compost container have no bottom and a removable lid. so the fluids can flow out/down in the earth and the compost can do its magic

Treated wood could probably last a while, untreated not very long.

I agree with both of you, however. If put in a thick bag it will take years or at least 12 months before the wood starts rotting so badly that it becomes useless.

The moistness is supposed to stay inside the bag. We could even have it so that you'd have to use a new bag every time and the result would be a bag of compost fertilizer.

When I was growing up we had a compost pile.  We had to move the pile from one side of the bin (about 5x5x5 of material) to the other side of the bin once a week.  It was a shitty job :P  We threw all plant scraps into the pile but nothing animal (because it attracted other critters, might not be a problem now).

I think we need to be able to put three items together (rotten potato, rotting fish and a radish for example) and start a compost pile.  We then add to it, where it speeds up the decay rate.  When the decay clock = 0, the item becomes compost.  When we select the pile, it would show all the stuff we threw in there + compost.  You could then draw compost out of the pile like rain water from a barrel, but use the plastic bucket.

We really don't need a container.  However, if you wanted to make a container you could turn easily (like a rain barrel).  You could just throw the stuff in, roll it around a bit and done.  However, I do think the barrel should have a decay rate too.  After a time it breaks and we are left with just a pile of compost.

On the Pacific coast some people grow bamboo, which can be cut into sections and used handily to cook foods. Remember, you can always modulate the temperature of heat by using say, coals or embers rather than an open flame.

In a survival situation bamboo is damn useful. 

On the Pacific coast some people grow bamboo, which can be cut into sections and used handily to cook foods. Remember, you can always modulate the temperature of heat by using say, coals or embers rather than an open flame.

Bamboo grows in some places on the east coast, too. It's rather invasive, even, sometimes. I think it's mostly introduced here, but it does grow nicely once it's there. I actually want to start some on my family's property, just because I like it and it's useful. When I was a kid I was actually able to swing through the bamboo about 20 ft. off the ground- not sure I'm quite that agile anymore (-;

Bamboo grows in some places on the east coast, too. It's rather invasive, even, sometimes. I think it's mostly introduced here, but it does grow nicely once it's there. I actually want to start some on my family's property, just because I like it and it's useful. When I was a kid I was actually able to swing through the bamboo about 20 ft. off the ground- not sure I'm quite that agile anymore (-;

Even in the Perth bush, large infestation around one waterfall.

What i really meant for a bag was to hold fertilizer in but I'm glad I gave you some ideas! Anywho, I do like the idea of craftable bats, but you would need really high level carpentry if you were going to make a bucket with no holes or anything. And for those spears, why not have them as throwing weapons? We don't have any of those, and if you throw one and miss, it lodges in the ground, but if it hits, it lodges in their face. Then you can pull it out. And you could have the XP go towards aiming. Throwing weapons could be an entirely new type of weapon.