[Spoilers] So I watched The Road.

Rikashey

Decent movie I guess.

What I'm wondering is how he and his son managed to survive that long.

The guy doesn't seem to have very many survival skills and he's very reckless and careless at times. I really don't see how someone like him would've survived that long with a child.

What a major mistake it was to leave that underground bomb shelter. Finding that thing is like winning the lottery. They could've survived so much longer had they stayed and rationed their supplies.

What was with that weird family that was following them? That lady was even creepier than the man. How did that entire family including a dog manage to survive so long? 4 people and a dog would take alot of food yet they seemed to be doing alright. How did they defend themselves from bandits? Seems really odd.

Also, the main guy killed that bandit with a flare gun. Is that even likely? I mean, a flare gun isn't exactly a weapon but it does have enough force to fire into the sky so I guess it has that going for it. But it just seems weird how that guy died instantly from it at that distance.

That scene where they found a house of cannibals was pretty creepy.

I tried to re-watch The Road a few months back. I just couldn't. I loved the film the first time, thought the atmosphere was absolutely perfect. But the second time around, it's like I knew what I was in for and I couldn't bear to watch it again, because even though it's brilliantly made, it's so damn depressing.

For me it was kinda like watching Fallout 3: The Movie. I just got a lot of the same vibes from the film as I got from that game. 'Cept way more bleak and depressing.

I can't remember the plot well enough to recall why they left the bomb shelter. I seem to remember they had to? Or that staying in the same place too long is too dangerous? It was sort of stupid, yeah, but I can also relate, I mean...there's cannibals roaming everywhere, it's probably safer to stay on the move, and in a way that bomb shelter was so "safe", it was dangerous - with shelter and lots of food, it's an attractive target for everyone. So I can kinda understand why they left.

The weird family, felt like a perfect ending, because...this movie didn't have a happy-happy ending, it was clear from the start. That family was probably the closest thing to a happy ending, and reaching that point after seeing the whole film you're left with a lot of doubts. I also got a creepy vibe from the family, and my theory is that they are cannibals. Would explain why they're doing so well. It's horrible but that's what I think. x)

I gotta get around to reading the book, I read a bit from it and thought it was written in a very interesting way.

If I remember, they left the bunker as they heard the dog outside and couldn't risk being found.

But that still doesn't sound reasonable.

When they went to leave the bunker you could see that noone was around so if they're was it a dog then it had clearly passed.

I can understand them wanting to leaving if they're been found and cornered but they weren't.

Even if they were you'd think they'd fight it out because that place is a safe haven in those times and is something worth standing ground for. Leaving that place would mean death so they might as well fight for it if they had to but they didn't. They were in the clear yet he decided to leave.

I assume they left the shelter because odds are it belongs to someone, and they will be coming back to it.  No matter how many stupid and reckless things the dad does, consider the situation.  It is easy to formulate how things will play out as mental exercises, while sitting at your desk, not needing to worry about sudden life or death situations.

All in all, the movie was depressing, grim, and most importantly boring.  The movie could not get over fast enough for me, and I love apoc movies.  Maybe because it is a long winded reminder that everyone is fucked in the end?  I don't know.

What I do know is the book is WORSE!  The dialog between father and son seems more like the dialog between strangers.  It is a flat novel, that would work as an excellent sleep aid.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's your expected 'Read the book! It's amazing!' post :D

The cannibal scene will never, ever stop haunting me.

Written by an Irishman, of coarse it was going to be amazing :D

Here's your expected 'Read the book! It's amazing!' post :D

The cannibal scene will never, ever stop haunting me.

Written by an Irishman, of coarse it was going to be amazing :D

Well apparently he was american but im sure I read somewhere he was Irish plus he has an ultra Irish name.....

Archived