Snow

bvhv

I know this has already been discussed but I never quiet knew why it died and with the new updates it may come in handy.

Trapping: Now that trapping is in there can be different animals that you can catch around the year.

Fishing: cut a hole in the river if it freezes over to catch you some fish!

Campfires: how cool would it be to be out in the snow with a campfire that melts snow around you :)

Tell me if i missed anything :)

Also it doesn't snow quite enough in the area irl to cover the ground.

I never bought that as an argument. I don't live too far away from Fort Knox and the snow storms here can get up to eight or nine inches. In fact it's actually pretty bad at times. We usually get at least one huge snow storm or series of snow storms every year that makes things a frigid hell for a week or two.

Snow should be added, just so people can make their custom maps of places in colder regions.

Also it doesn't snow quite enough in the area irl to cover the ground.

I never bought that as an argument. I don't live too far away from Fort Knox and the snow storms here can get up to eight or nine inches. In fact it's actually pretty bad at times. We usually get at least one huge snow storm or series of snow storms every year that makes things a frigid hell for a week or two.

I would love to see that in PZ! :)

I agree that snow in some form should be added to PZ, if only as sparse patchy clumps during the coldest days of winter. From all the discussions I've read, it does snow in Kentucky, just not enough to cover the ground completely. Which is kinda fine in my books. You'd get the odd bit of snow, good for reminding the player that, yes, this is winter, why aren't you wearing a sweater, but not enough to require a full-on cold weather overhaul.

That being said, having deeper clumps of snow, or slowly melting slush, could prove an interesting hazard when running around, or driving, when vehicles are implemented.

I dunno. Zomboid's set in America, and, in my eyes at least, the stereotypical American winter involves at least some snow. Gray skies, bluish light, patches of snow, and trees without leaves. If nothing else, it'd give more atmosphere to the winter months :P

As I said before, I live in Kentucky and it snows way more than you guys seem to think. Trust me on this, there's more than enough snowfall to blanket the ground.

This, minus the "live in Kentucky" part.

snowstormx-large.jpg

That's pretty close to an average winter storm, here. Not quite one of the worst ones we get, though. Add about five or six full inches and huge piles twelve feet tall from the snow plows keeping the roads clear and you'd come close to having an idea of what last winter was like for us here.

Quite tempted to call bull on those stats unless that's average per storm instead of month. Last winter we had three separate storms that gave four inches each. Within a week of each other. And that's when it wasn't raining sleet and freezing to the ground overnight. By the time it was over I was so sick of snow I was on the verge of tears.

Not really sure what I can say to convince you the truth except to wait for winter and take pictures of myself in the snow. Possibly in a mankini to prove my seriousness.

I just can't hold myself but giggle from the amount of snow you get :D

Seconding that blizzard. While we're on the topic of winter - wouldn't a zombie simply freeze in winter and have to thaw in spring (let's say typical 'northern winter' of -40 degrees Celsius and a meter or so of snow) ?

I just can't hold myself but giggle from the amount of snow you get :D

Seconding that blizzard. While we're on the topic of winter - wouldn't a zombie simply freeze in winter and have to thaw in spring (let's say typical 'northern winter' of -40 degrees Celsius and a meter or so of snow) ?

well we had worse here in Lithuania but in here I might debate that there is a lot more of snow then cold it typically stays around -30 Celsius but the fall of snow is enormous :)

I cant quite seem to find these statistics you mention could you help me and point me towards some city names or states that have this weather?

It's pretty rare to reach those temperatures, even in Canada (though we've had days in the -30 range when factoring in wind chill). We usually sit around -5 C here. Chances are that website also lists average temperatues, and average days per month a specific range is hit. It can probably be argued that, so long as a zombie keeps moving, it shouldn't freeze significantly.

Kajin, I posted that site to back up your claim that it does indeed snow there (and sometimes in a decent amount), but it's not what I'd personally call a storm. We've had 2 ft snowfalls in a single day last winter in New Brunswick.Either way, 12" still certainly looks like more than just a light white dusting.

Kajin, I posted that site to back up your claim that it does indeed snow there (and sometimes in a decent amount), but it's not what I'd personally call a storm. We've had 2 ft snowfalls in a single day last winter in New Brunswick.Either way, 12" still certainly looks like more than just a light white dusting.

Oh, sorry. Kinda sick here, past day or so. Brain all fuzzy. Guess I misinterpreted.

It's pretty rare to reach those temperatures, even in Canada (though we've had days in the -30 range when factoring in wind chill). We usually sit around -5 C here. Chances are that website also lists average temperatues, and average days per month a specific range is hit. It can probably be argued that, so long as a zombie keeps moving, it shouldn't freeze significantly.

I guess it would depend on the state of the zed. How desiccated it is during the winter months. A really old zed that's been operating for a long while might not have enough moisture content in its flesh to freeze at all. It might get a bit stiff and get coated in ice, but it could still move and be a threat. Might even be harder to dispatch in that state.

Newer, juicier zeds would have a rougher time of it. Freezing temp for water is 32 degrees Fahrenheit, 0 degrees Celsius. Temperature in Kentucky can get that low pretty easy during winter. Whether or not the zed is moving is irrelevant, since I doubt the kinetic energy of movement would be enough to prevent the water content of individual cells from freezing. Not without the biological processes of a living body providing warmth.

well we had worse here in Lithuania but in here I might debate that there is a lot more of snow then cold it typically stays around -30 Celsius but the fall of snow is enormous :)

I cant quite seem to find these statistics you mention could you help me and point me towards some city names or states that have this weather?

Coastal climate is doing it's thing - more snow but milder weather - pretty much the same here in Piter. As for the temperatures, you could choose virtually any town in mid-northern continental Russia and you'll have it.

If you want the specifics, take Архангельск (Arkhangyelsk ?) and go a bit (well, almost 600 km) east to find Ухта - when I still lived there, we had a few winters when the temp wouldn't go above -35*C for several days in a row.

It can probably be argued that, so long as a zombie keeps moving, it shouldn't freeze significantly.

Depends on what the mechanism of zombie movement is.

Once water inside a zed freezes, it expands, ripping any remaining cells into shreds, not to even mention no longer allowing cells to change their shape (ie. muscles contracting and relaxing), making a purely biological mechanism quite ...harsh on the poor buggers.

If we opt for a 'dark magic' style, it would still get in the way a lot - a car coated with a thin layer of ice is virtually thief-proof, as it is nigh-impossible to rip the doors open (speaking from experience) and if you do so, they will end up quite damaged. The same would apply to zeds - having their bodies blanketed by a few milimetres of ice would require them to use tremendous strength to shatter it.

Coastal climate is doing it's thing - more snow but milder weather - pretty much the same here in Piter. As for the temperatures, you could choose virtually any town in mid-northern continental Russia and you'll have it.

If you want the specifics, take Архангельск (Arkhangyelsk ?) and go a bit (well, almost 600 km) east to find Ухта - when I still lived there, we had a few winters when the temp wouldn't go above -35*C for several days in a row.

My original post was to Americans I am pretty aware of Russia's and Europe's cold climates :D But I cant seem to get my mind around winter without snow I never thought about that.

My original post was to Americans I am pretty aware of Russia's and Europe's cold climates :D But I cant seem to get my mind around winter without snow I never thought about that.

Yeah, winter without snow is simply wrong. As for the location - I'd love to be able to play PZ set in Moscow or another historical city, but that's probably not even remotely real...