Talking to Unanimate Objects

ValueOfGravity

Yeaaah... We all knew this suggestion would come. This came directly from the Spiffo doll uses thread, wich gave me the idea to talk to any object in the game..

I personally would love this feature. It would make the game way funnier and a bit more realistic. I mean, asking a rubber duck for tips? Maybe this could lead to a tutorial overhaul, told by some object, maybe.

This would be easy to program. Just a random answer to said questions. What Should i Do? Where should i go? etc, etc. These could range from totally stupid answers (Go to the mall, while it would be at the other side of the map.) to somewhat useful (Find food while you can!). I think this feature would have saved me back in the days.

Also, a very easy to add feature would be Talk, instead of Ask. This can open a wide range of responses, such as toughtprovocking/funny quotes, videogame references, and some quotes referencing past events. I thought one of them, could reference the pillow, from Kate & Baldspot story.

I think that in my nights of despair and crying of pain from a minor scratch i could actually use this.

Heck, even make it decrease depression! If you are sad, a squishy Spiffo doll talking to you can be quite nice :3

Hmm... Maybe there could be a social component? Human's as creatures crave attention and companionship. If you choose to go it solo and avoid all human contact you'll eventually start craving interaction which could be mitigated by talking to inanimate objects or maybe keeping animal companions.

I am not for this, making the game 'way funnier' is not really something I'd be into personally, it is supposed to be ravagingly depressive and the end of humanity. If you want to talk to inanimate things then you can just use the chat for it. You won't get a response because inanimate objects cannot respond so there is all the realism I'd need.

I am not for this, making the game 'way funnier' is not really something I'd be into personally, it is supposed to be ravagingly depressive and the end of humanity. If you want to talk to inanimate things then you can just use the chat for it. You won't get a response because inanimate objects cannot respond so there is all the realism I'd need.

I take it you've never been so damn lonely you've started having conversations with yourself. I went there a time or two before I discovered the wonderful world of internet forums. Not a great place to be. Would this be funny? Maybe if you're a fan of schadenfreude. Otherwise? I wouldn't consider it funny.

How much is WoW again..? 20$?

I played the trial to lvl 20 and totally loved the werewolf storyline.

I play Fiesta Online.. I think its pretty similar..

Yes, but they charge monthly, which is where I go "eh screw it, to the Google-net!" (google net is an inside joke I have with my friends about google monopolizing the internet) and go get a free game that is basically the same thing.

Monthly..?

*Facedesk*

How is this game the second most played game of all-time?!

My only problem with making this default for all characters would be that not everyone goes insane in Z-Apoc.

My character, ex-military, despite all of his flaws, is extremely mentally stable. Which hinders him as well, because he can't detach from reality and suffers with it harshly and dearly. He is neurotic, has trust issues, and zombie paranoia, but he is not insane. He is extremely grounded to sanity and tells the layers easily. So this feature would not apply to him.

However, what I do favor as a good idea, is to introduce a flaw "Mentally Unstable", which enables this feature, along with other oddities, like hearing voices, or groans or knocks or gunshots where there aren't any. Maybe seeing lights go on and off, or windows and doors open and close.

How are you Neurotic, Have trust issues, zombie paranoia and isn't insane?

what the heck is zombie paranoia..?

Ahem. Also, we are talking about a fictional character and not a real person.

Okay. Brass tacks.

Zombie Paranoia 

1. Meeting a new person, I obsessively check their eyes for redness, teeth for decay, body for cuts. If they want in my safehouse, they gotta strip down for me to examine em.

2. I expect zombies to be in every new place I go. I don't think, oh that closet is safe and has some clothes. I think, that closet probably has a zombie in it. Open with care.

3. I always assume they are outside at night when I go to sleep, being quiet and listening. So I am quiet too. Even if I don't hear a sound, I am still assuming they are there.

Neurotic

1. I have a twitching left eye, due to nerve malfunction from exposure to extreme stress.

2. My fingers shake when I am nervous, and I have to grip things hard to stabilize the muscles.

3. I react to sudden noises with a jerk of my head, immediately twitching in the noise's direction.

4. I ground myself to comfortable mental state by performing a set of routine rituals. I wash my clothes, polish my shoes, fold my laundry, clean my guns. I do the routine which keeps me discipline and reminds me of the normal world, the past, before Z-Apocalypse. I require this routine to keep myself from snapping.

Trust Issues

1. I assume everyone I meet will either kill me and steal my things. I take precautions beyond normal human interaction.

2. I assume those who prove to be friendly and join me, will eventually screw up, get bitten, and return infected.

What I am not:

​1. I am not schizophrenic. I do not hear voices in my head, giving me alternative motivations. I don't see green little men or talk to objects.

2. I am not a psychopathic killer. I do not kill people as a precaution.

​3. I am not delusional. I don't hold any grandeur visions, like I'm a prince of hell or something, or a chosen one on a mission. I am in touch with what the reality is. 

4. I do not carry nightmares that come to me at night into my awake time. I brush them off.

5. I did not lose value of human life. Humans are precious and need to be protected.

---

And yes, we can be talking about a character, or a real person. That does not figure into the point. This mental make up can exist in a fictional or real character. This is a mind that suffered some stress damage and learned behavior through negative reinforcement, but it's not broken, it holds onto stability with resilience through discipline and routine.

How are you Neurotic, Have trust issues, zombie paranoia and isn't insane?

what the heck is zombie paranoia..?

Ahem. Also, we are talking about a fictional character and not a real person.

Okay. Brass tacks.

Zombie Paranoia 

1. Meeting a new person, I obsessively check their eyes for redness, teeth for decay, body for cuts. If they want in my safehouse, they gotta strip down for me to examine em.

2. I expect zombies to be in every new place I go. I don't think, oh that closet is safe and has some clothes. I think, that closet probably has a zombie in it. Open with care.

3. I always assume they are outside at night when I go to sleep, being quiet and listening. So I am quiet too. Even if I don't hear a sound, I am still assuming they are there.

Neurotic

1. I have a twitching left eye, due to nerve malfunction from exposure to extreme stress.

2. My fingers shake when I am nervous, and I have to grip things hard to stabilize the muscles.

3. I react to sudden noises with a jerk of my head, immediately twitching in the noise's direction.

4. I ground myself to comfortable mental state by performing a set of routine rituals. I wash my clothes, polish my shoes, fold my laundry, clean my guns. I do the routine which keeps me discipline and reminds me of the normal world, the past, before Z-Apocalypse. I require this routine to keep myself from snapping.

Trust Issues

1. I assume everyone I meet will either kill me and steal my things. I take precautions beyond normal human interaction.

2. I assume those who prove to be friendly and join me, will eventually screw up, get bitten, and return infected.

What I am not:

​1. I am not schizophrenic. I do not hear voices in my head, giving me alternative motivations. I don't see green little men or talk to objects.

2. I am not a psychopathic killer. I do not kill people as a precaution.

​3. I am not delusional. I don't hold any grandeur visions, like I'm a prince of hell or something, or a chosen one on a mission. I am in touch with what the reality is. 

4. I do not carry nightmares that come to me at night into my awake time. I brush them off.

5. I did not lose value of human life. Humans are precious and need to be protected.

---

And yes, we can be talking about a character, or a real person. That does not figure into the point. This mental make up can exist in a fictional or real character. This is a mind that suffered some stress damage and learned behavior through negative reinforcement, but it's not broken, it holds onto stability with resilience through discipline and routine.

Neurotic was a term used by freudians to decribe someone who reacts strongly to things others would not react to; who allows these reactions to direct decisions instead of using rational thought to direct their decisions; who is erratic and unreliable; an emotional person who has obsessive tendencies. What you just told me is just a bunch of ticks.

There is a limit of sanity in the Apocalypse. Everyone will develop atleast one or two psychotic tendencies, adopted from survival.

What if you make it through the end of it? Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Yes and you are still not describing psychosis. Neurosis is an altered reaction to reality, psychosis is loss of touch with reality. Look up the difference between neurosis and psychosis. PTSD can cause both or either neurosis or psychosis, depending on level of stress.

And again, I disagree that everyone must lose sanity in an Apocalypse. Before technological progress turned lives in first world countries into a peaceful internet powered paradise, people proved every day their capacity to handle stress, war, combat and killing.

Look at the human civilization, from cavemen who had to compete with all manner of beasts for survival, to 10 - 13th centuries (commonly termed the Dark Age or Medieval Age), where people killed, dueled, raped, and generally were fond of running steel through flesh.

Knights and conscripts were required to kill by profession. Kings went on crusades. Recall the holy crusades and the war with the caracens. Was everyone psychotic back then?

I stand by belief that once killing becomes a daily reality again, human mind will get used to it real quick.

We invented psychology and notion of disorders to try to bring people into a more peaceful lifestyle. But if people were given freedom to release their violent side and anger on hordes of zombies, I think there is a solid chance to adjust. The hardest thing to grasp will be that zombies exist.